Recession? - Page 76
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 76 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 2690

Thread: Recession?

  1. #1501
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    163
    Likes (Received)
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    You can forget Trump,the virus is in control now..........he s sailed into a gale unprepared,the mast is overboard,he s in survival mode....Its all up to state governors ,and maybe how well they can co operate ......Otrits big production reminds me of the early 70s recession ....GM had hundreds of acres of unsold cars ,not even the desire to maintain them ...cars with six inches of stinky water inside,rust holes in the bodies.Ford didnt seem to do quite so badly .
    Hello john,
    If you are trying to make this event into a political blunder, get in line. Many of those that want to go down your path will have a price to pay. In November.


    John,

    I'll bet that you are retired, and haven't cut metal in years.

  2. #1502
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    913

    Default

    Im not criticising Trump...doubt any pres would have done any different....and hes got the sense to stand back now ,and stay clear of the fallout...And yes ,Ive been retired for at least 10 years....as for cutting metal...does a gas axe count?..Since I retired ,Ive seen the values of conventional machines drop to scrap level for larger than hobby sizes.And scrap drop to nothing since the virus...So ,I have no argument against the orange one ,in fact ,I still think Obama is responsible for the millions of deaths and destruction in a destabilized middle east.

  3. Likes Trueturning liked this post
  4. #1503
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    3,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2287
    Likes (Received)
    1540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon73 View Post
    Im still not totally sold on CV being as serious as the media makes out atm, should have a better idea over the next couple weeks
    In a structural sense im keeping an eye on what gets changed legislation wise and what the CBs do with regards to consolidating power.
    Im concerned about the mental state of general folk and how much and for how long the pain will be turned up to justify change.
    GL all
    100% agree.
    This "plan of theirs" is a strategic one - no mistake.
    Just had Sanchez on the box yesterday - the PM of Spain.
    He was talking openly of future pandemics - so they're paving the way to lock everyone up again at will.
    And they've just passed a Royal Decree (law) called the "digital decree" where the gov can "cut off the internet and communications due to disturbances of public order".
    UK laws - I read (although not confirmed as I've downloaded it but not read it myself) that there's no strike/marching now. No complaints can be made.
    If nothing else, this is a HUGE clamp-down on freedom make no mistake.

  5. Likes Demon73, Oldwrench liked this post
  6. #1504
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    19,649
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    15089
    Likes (Received)
    15254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    I agree that the summer shutdown has come a few months early for the Big 3. The rest of the industrial base of the US economy is still working.

    What many of you do not understand is that these company's are still going forward, these guys never quit.
    Of course they are - when they have the government (and therefore taxpayer) to bail them out.

    As for quitting, ………….if it suited them they'd close down tomorrow - you know just like the Auto industry did in Detroit, and the steel industry in Pittsburgh.

  7. Likes Trueturning, daryl bane liked this post
  8. #1505
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Country
    FALKLAND ISLANDS (MALVINAS)
    Posts
    1,930
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2322
    Likes (Received)
    1216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    If nothing else, this is a HUGE clamp-down on freedom make no mistake.
    I watched the BBC news yesterday for the lulz, 10:40 there was a section on how well China/Korea etc have done with containment, largely due to their surveillance facilities.
    BOE are on the case with a CB Digital Currency. Its out there if you look, easier to find than hiding it in a CV bill but not mentioned in MSM.

  9. Likes barbter liked this post
  10. #1506
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    19,649
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    15089
    Likes (Received)
    15254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    If nothing else, this is a HUGE clamp-down on freedom make no mistake.
    Could it not be that too much freedom got us in to this mess in the first place?

  11. #1507
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    3,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2287
    Likes (Received)
    1540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Could it not be that too much freedom got us in to this mess in the first place?
    I'll take full responsibility.
    I had been out on my bicycle too much.

  12. #1508
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    25,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    Hello john,
    If you are trying to make this event into a political blunder, .....
    He doesn't need to. Trump has done it just fine all by his moronic self. He's gone
    down in history as the first impeached president to blunder a pandemnic and
    a depression.

  13. Likes triumph406 liked this post
  14. #1509
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    I'll take full responsibility.
    I had been out on my bicycle too much.
    I hope that your best mate reads you admitting you are wrong.

  15. #1510
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    3,973
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Could it not be that too much freedom got us in to this mess in the first place?
    Too much ignorance, I think. When they bombed London, you didn't have a big problem with people going to street parties, did you ? And if so, they didn't kill other people by doing that ... if they had explained the drowning in your own blood honestly from the beginning instead of saying "it's just the flu", I think people would have gone along willingly. No "draconian" restrictions of freedom required.

    Sure, the western press kept using those words but I didn't see anyone arguing with the policemen. Someone, somewhere most likely did but overall, if you give people the facts, they are willing to do what's necessary.

    Badly handled from the very beginning

  16. Likes Limy Sami, Tyrone Shoelaces liked this post
  17. #1511
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,473
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    714
    Likes (Received)
    2421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Could it not be that too much freedom got us in to this mess in the first place?
    The freedom to eat bats? Yep.

  18. Likes Trueturning liked this post
  19. #1512
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    3,973
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    The freedom to eat bats? Yep.
    Are you really this stupid ?

  20. #1513
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,473
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    714
    Likes (Received)
    2421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Are you really this stupid ?
    Not stupid enough to believe your BS.

  21. #1514
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    1,127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1027
    Likes (Received)
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    100% agree.
    This "plan of theirs" is a strategic one - no mistake.
    Just had Sanchez on the box yesterday - the PM of Spain.
    He was talking openly of future pandemics - so they're paving the way to lock everyone up again at will.
    And they've just passed a Royal Decree (law) called the "digital decree" where the gov can "cut off the internet and communications due to disturbances of public order".
    UK laws - I read (although not confirmed as I've downloaded it but not read it myself) that there's no strike/marching now. No complaints can be made.
    If nothing else, this is a HUGE clamp-down on freedom make no mistake.
    Makes you want to go back to radios.

  22. #1515
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    8,626
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    463
    Likes (Received)
    7079

    Default

    The first "stimulus" of 2 trillion dollars to go out soon at $1200 per taxpayer.
    This money likely gone in many pockets all ready and we are not at the peak of this bug. Maybe that 2 trillion a drop in the bucket.
    When will the next round come and how much can our rich uncle sam afford without upsetting things for a very long time.
    Can the government provide a "base pay" to all for 3, 6, 9 months? Should the government do such?

    Unemployment has been extended and raised here. I know where this goes as it is in the end funded by employers (each has his/her own sort of savings account that pays this).
    Higher taxes per employee for years to come to rebuild those savings.
    This will make local manufacturing less competitive against overseas but I see no other options.

    Let's hope this thing peaks and dies fast and that there is not a round two.
    Bob

  23. #1516
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    5,417
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    221
    Likes (Received)
    1688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    The first "stimulus" of 2 trillion dollars to go out soon at $1200 per taxpayer.
    This money likely gone in many pockets all ready and we are not at the peak of this bug. Maybe that 2 trillion a drop in the bucket.
    Only ~$300B of the 2T goes out as $1,200 checks. The rest is $500B corporate loans, $350B small business loans, and a variety of misc.

    Regards.

    Mike

  24. Likes Trboatworks liked this post
  25. #1517
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    1,127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1027
    Likes (Received)
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Too much ignorance, I think. When they bombed London, you didn't have a big problem with people going to street parties, did you ? And if so, they didn't kill other people by doing that ... if they had explained the drowning in your own blood honestly from the beginning instead of saying "it's just the flu", I think people would have gone along willingly. No "draconian" restrictions of freedom required.

    Sure, the western press kept using those words but I didn't see anyone arguing with the policemen. Someone, somewhere most likely did but overall, if you give people the facts, they are willing to do what's necessary.

    Badly handled from the very beginning
    EG are you slipping? you say “badly handled from the beginning”? Because at the beginning the Chinese had the start of the virus in their own yard. Was it true that helpful information about transmissions and also incubation times were still being monitored? If they had understood the severity of it all would they have moved quicker to stop it?

    I do think allowing travel on Chinese New Year would be something they likely would have done differently and so stopping travel in and out of the effected area or the whole country.

    They managed well with measures taken. It is often said “hindsight is 20/20”.

    One American a old friend married a gal in the UK my friend to keep the peace allowing her to stay close to her parents aspired to settle in to becoming a new UK citizen or permanent resident he wanted to become a full Blighty with all the honors.


    Anyway things went real bad as the girl he married and her parents made life hell on the fellow and the marriage self destructed.

    He told me he learned two things about marrying that cutie. One was “hindsight is 2020” and the most important for young men in prime condition (ahem y’all know how) the 2nd thing was for him it was like this he learned “having foresight is better than having hindsight”.

    He learned it the hard way after intense torture. She was truly a looker I saw her hind when she visited yet America did not have her parents here. Y’all might well relate to that common experience.

  26. #1518
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    8,626
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    463
    Likes (Received)
    7079

    Default

    Finegrain,
    Yes it is not just personal checks but that well runs dry very quickly and will need to be primed again.

  27. #1519
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    1,127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1027
    Likes (Received)
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Are you really this stupid ?
    EG are making fun of what good Chinese law abiding citizens like to eat? Isn’t that a risky path friend? Do you want us to call the American embassy and have you safely whisked away for your own safety?

    You know they are not giving up on bat. They will be more careful with it. You know they have eaten it for thousands of years more than likely.

  28. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
  29. #1520
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    163
    Likes (Received)
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Of course they are - when they have the government (and therefore taxpayer) to bail them out.

    As for quitting, ………….if it suited them they'd close down tomorrow - you know just like the Auto industry did in Detroit, and the steel industry in Pittsburgh.
    The US doesn't operate like the UK (thank goodness}, your steady flow of doubt of our abilities is laughable. US industry is flush with cash, and even if they weren't, in your right mind would you bet against us?


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •