What's new
What's new

Remington Outdoors moving to Alabama

HiNi

Cast Iron
Remington Outdoors CEO and Alabama Governor announced the move in a news conference today.
Remington will move in to a 500,000 sq ft building that previously housed Chrysler electronics.

Thanks New York legislators !!

Interesting how things change of (a long period) of time. Before and after the Civil War, almost all firearm production was located in the Northeast. For the last 40 or 50 years, firearm production has been moving steadily South. I know there is still a ton of firearm manufacturing in the North, but when companies that have been there for over 100 years decide to move south, it's saying something.

--Hawk

Not to mention people who still know how to work...
Fear is a surprisingly effective motivator.

FWIW I have been in many plants and have seen no correlation between geographical location and work ethic...nor between union and nonunion shops.
I have noticed that facilities that employ union trades people tend to have a higher level of skill where the union maintains an effective training program.

Industry in general...less restrictive worker protections, depressed economies and tax incentives.

well, no, in this particular case it had nothing at all to do with worker's ethics, pay scales, bennies, or anything else, and everything to do with NY, Connecticut, Md, Colorodo, and California and their respective blatant anti-gun legislation.

People are moving outta state. One of our design engineers just sold his house and moved to Tennessee. Hes pretty mad about the whole deal.

well, no, in this particular case it had nothing at all to do with worker's ethics, pay scales, bennies, or anything else, and everything to do with NY, Connecticut, Md, Colorodo, and California and their respective blatant anti-gun legislation.

If, as you say, there is no valid business reason then this is a stupid extortionist position to take.
Magpul got reduced labor costs, tax breaks and a ton of other shit to move, I suspect that if you look you'll find the same thing.

If, as you say, there is no valid business reason then this is a stupid extortionist position to take.
Magpul got reduced labor costs, tax breaks and a ton of other shit to move, I suspect that if you look you'll find the same thing.

They also got an environment where their product was appreciated, not vilified.

--Hawk

I got no reason to doubt that Magpul did shop around for the best place to land once they bailed out of Colorodo- but make no mistake, they were going to bail, no matter what. even if they didn't have a parachute. They've also offered, at their own expense, to help any current employee who wanted it, financial help so they (the employee) could relocate with the company.

Industry in general...less restrictive worker protections, depressed economies and tax incentives.

Less restrictive worker protections...
Your right, the New York State government protected workers right to the state line.

Depressed economies...Your kinda behind the times sport.

Tax incentives, sure.
24 states competed for Remington.
The 25th state thought they wouldn't move.

Fear is a surprisingly effective motivator.

FWIW I have been in many plants and have seen no correlation between geographical location and work ethic...nor between union and nonunion shops.
I have noticed that facilities that employ union trades people tend to have a higher level of skill where the union maintains an effective training program.

I am just gonna take a wild guess.....you are union?
I find it amazing that companies can do business in states like New York or my home state of Minnesota where it seems the first thought that the legislature has every session is " how do we get more money out of people and business'". I do not blame Remington or any other arms manufacturer for getting out of a state that is doing its best to legislate said business out of business. Why in the world would they be expected to support such activity with their tax dollars? The one advantage that many Northern states has had in the recent past was a well trained work force. With CNC and home computers and various other resources, (pure speculation on my part) I do not believe that gap is as large as it once was. 25 well trained machinist with modern tools can produce what would have taken 100 machinists 50 years ago. Add to that, Minneapolis public schools now graduates a whopping 50% of students on time.......the rest is pretty self-evident.

well, no, in this particular case it had nothing at all to do with worker's ethics, pay scales, bennies, or anything else, and everything to do with NY, Connecticut, Maryland, Colorodo, and California and their respective blatant anti-gun legislation.

Beretta plant in MD, rather than expanding production at the plant in Indian Head, are moving jobs to TN and opening a new factory. I magine once that is up and running, further expansion will occur, and the entire MD plant will leave.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...arms-to-create-300-jobs-in-tennessee-n1787238

MD business policies at work and the anti gun movement in MD... :rolleyes5: :nutter:

From what I understand the production portion of Magpul is going just up the highway to Cheyenne. The office portion to Texas. Colorado is losing a very good innovative company. They did what was in the best business interest of their company. Probably less expensive to live in Wyoming or Texas anyway.

Yeah, but that's an improvement over 2003 according to, you know, data.

Minneapolis Public School Students Graduating On-time

I don't feel overly taxed here, honestly. Well, not including the stadium bullshit.

We have the 7th highest individual tax burden in the country......we also have the 3rd highest tax burden on business.....I do believe we used to get a little something in return for that $.......I do not feel that way anymore. When 47% of the state budget goes to education and we get the results we do....something is wrong. But hey......at least we have nice weather....(not)

Yeah, but that's an improvement over 2003 according to, you know, data.

Minneapolis Public School Students Graduating On-time

I don't feel overly taxed here, honestly. Well, not including the stadium bullshit.

Probably just lowered the standards for graduation......

I love seeing companies(and workers) moving to bigger and better opportunities. This is why we have STATES and not one oppressive gov't(getting close to it though). Don't like where you're at, up and move to where the grass is greener.

We have the 7th highest individual tax burden in the country......we also have the 3rd highest tax burden on business.....I do believe we used to get a little something in return for that $.......I do not feel that way anymore. When 47% of the state budget goes to education and we get the results we do....something is wrong. But hey......at least we have nice weather....(not)

But, but the libs here in WI always point to Minnesota as a great example of how progressive politics are succeeding......

Back