What's new
What's new

scandle autos + mystery vmc

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
scandal autos + mystery vmc

not far from me at abandoned nuclear plant are 10,000 diesel autos--VW
and Audi 2009---2015 models--buybacks

pleasant weather today so I snapped pics---the presence of several hundred new Audi 3.0 liter vehicles was a surprise--never made it dealer showroom

55 acres of buy back autos here

Attachments

• 100_2485.jpg
    100_2485.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 223
  • 100_2487.jpg
    100_2487.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 219
  • 100_2490.jpg
    100_2490.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 213
  • 100_2497.jpg
    100_2497.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 100_2492.jpg
    100_2492.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
vmc

and a bonus---mystery vmc--Comet--outside of metal shed which
I do not find imaged on recent google earth pic

circle thumbtack is location pic 3

Attachments

• jhgjhg.jpg
    jhgjhg.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 194
  • hg.jpg
    hg.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 219
  • uiiu.jpg
    uiiu.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 100_2496.jpg
    100_2496.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 100_2495.jpg
    100_2495.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 234
The wife and I had 2 of the2009 TDI sport wagons, kinda sorry I turned mine in,
40MPG wasn't worth mentioning, when they did 50 MPG, we would talk aboot it.
Peppy little car, I miss mine.
thanks for sharing.
Gw

The lot at the former Diamond Star Motors Mitsubishi plant in Bloomington, IL is currently packed to the gills with VW buy back cars. I don't know if they are to be crushed or sold to some less regulated country. I thought I saw some being loaded on rail cars.

Would be interesting to do a full pollution/energy burden study of having left all those vehicles in the field, as opposed to buybacks and crushing/recycling/retrofits/replacements etc.

I'm pissed at VW for their arrogance and additional polluting, but was a buyback the best way to ameliorate things?

And JHolland, you're clearly having too much fun...

It's fitting that the cars are stored at Satsop. That failed nuclear project was known as WPPSS (pronounced Woops!). They defaulted on a couple billion worth of municipal bonds.

I work at a shop that specializes in TDI's... they are coming back, trickling in. The best part is they are all lot rotted to death and need lots of love. Sad deal, I daily a 99 TDI and probably will for many years to come.

That is only one of 37 storage yards. they spent close to $8 billion buying all of them back.
Currently, due to the legal agreement they signed with the US government, they cant export them to another country and resell.
They agreed to either fix them so they met US standards, or part em out. Obviously, they dont want to part them out. And many of them cannot simply be reprogrammed- the upgrades to make em legal are pretty involved.
Otherwise, I am sure they would be selling them in Brazil and at the big auto auctions in the UAE.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/3...00-diesel-cars-it-has-repurchased-in-america/
What Is VW Going to Do with All Those Parked TDIs? | News | Car and Driver

They come back with the new software and a DEF injector?

The fix is just all new DPF/SCR and reprogramming.

The yard in MN is up in Brainerd, seen it, pretty wild. You can buy them CHEAP now, I would not hesistate to pick one up for a daily, Just take it to a shop and have it looked over, they are lot rotted bad.

Back