What's new
What's new

Sourcing website besides mfg.com?

helocat

Aluminum
Used MFG years ago, had great results as a buyer. Need a few parts quoted out and I see MFG now charges the buyer. $100 per month just to offer up 1-2 jobs seams excessive. Too bad I liked using them. SO what other website out there is offering this type of service?

Thank you,

Mark

Used MFG years ago, had great results as a buyer. Need a few parts quoted out and I see MFG now charges the buyer. $100 per month just to offer up 1-2 jobs seams excessive. Too bad I liked using them. SO what other website out there is offering this type of service?

Thank you,

Mark

For shops looking for work MFG.com was a waste of money unless you were in a third world country. A lot of people questioned whether a lot of the posted work was even legitimate. They might be doing this to clean up their reputation or as a new revenue source to replace shops that have gotten wise to what a bad risk they are.

I bet a great many shops stopped using them.

Yeah - well I wonder how many shops were way desperate in the last 2 yrs and as a last ditch effort to drum up some new werk - piad the 5 G'$ to be allowed to quote agginst the rest of the werld? And then went out of biziness. ???

Russ was lucky. But he is in the very small minority to have found a good customer, and not a bunch of bottom feeder purchasers and non-paying customers.

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

AAhhh....but P.M. doesn't have (nor would allow) the
"Live, Online, race-to-the-bottom"
bidding process.

AFAIK neither does eny of the other sites. ???

When I was subscribed (Been a few yrs now) it was all sealed bids untill after the closing date. Then you could see high, low, and average.

The only difference between your normal customers RFQ list and MFG is that they have a LOT more people quoting werk, as well as more continents quoting werk over there. And with shear numbers, there will ALWAYS be someone that "missed" the bid. Someone forgot to add in material cosst, or setup, or a special tool, or thought that their machine chould hold those crazy tols or finishes, or simply missed a key feature in tiny print. (That last one was mine, No biggie - it was jist another bearing bore:willy_nilly:)

It's not a reverse auction that I have seen. There are even some buyers that don't buy from the cheapest, so no real point in being the #1 cheapest for sure enyway, although you would want to be in the lower bracket.

You wouldn't believe the wide range of bids on any particular job! :eek:

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

AFAIK neither does eny of the other sites. ???

When I was subscribed (Been a few yrs now) it was all sealed bids untill after the closing date. Then you could see high, low, and average.

My mistake, my neighbor, that has the swiss job shop, was complaining
and I ass-u-med that MFG.com was what he was complaining about.

He said (whatever site it was) would even extend the bid times
(closing date) if the price kept going lower, receiving 2 bids within
a certain time.

Hmm seams a nerve is struck with this one. Just a buyer here that owns a small company, one in the black and owns 100% of its tools and inventory. (AKA pays bills on time) looking to have some round work done. Don't feel like doing 50 3" round x 4.3" long parts on my Mill. At the same time last time I put RFQ's in with the local machine shops they all took an extra 2 weeks to bid parts, and bid them like they did not want the basic work. Went out of state with the web site, got great parts at a good price, and paid early. Not all web buyers are dead beats.

So if MFG is charging so much, why has not someone else stepped up to offer the same service for a cheep reasonable fee.? Like $5 per awarded bid, and no charge if not awarded. Same goes for buyers.

Ok will put the parts in CAD and put on the board here. Should just buy a CNC lathe and be done with it.

Mark

Response to Sourcing websites beside MFG.com

Hi Mark & everyone,

My name is Britni Zandbergen and I am in charge of Marketing over at MFG.com. Thank you for voicing your concerns (which are legitimate) and I may have some thoughts or options for you.

Just to give you some background, we did recently start charging buyers to use the advanced MFG.com platform. Based on buyer member feedback, we have upgraded the sourcing side of the application drastically - our Basic Edition ($100/month) includes improved supplier discovery features, a full audit trail, increased support and priority RFQ release. The Premium edition includes more robust functionality for companies who source frequently such as multi-line item RFQ's, advanced intellectual property security, excel integration, real-time tracking, advanced analysis, order management, and premium service & support. It is important to note that we still have a free trial for infrequent users with all the functionality one would need to source through MFG.com.

One reason we now offer a paid version is to expand this value on the sourcing side of the application for our buyer members (by popular demand). Giving them more reason to come back to MFG.com and source more often. Another reason, as someone hinted to above, was to ensure higher quality and value projects for MFG.com supplier members ensuring they gain access to the best possible potential customers.

If none of this works for you and you are still looking for something to take the place of MFG.com, here are a few suggestions -
- One option would to go to Online Directories; Online directories contain listings of people or companies posted online, most often categorized by demographics – location, industry, etc. The discrete parts manufacturing and machining industries are well represented, with some dating back to the dawning of the Web in the 1990s. Here you can search for suppliers for your project and call them up to find out more information. Some examples of directories are:
• ThomasNet
• GlobalSpec
• IndustryNet
• MachineShopWeb.com

- Forums, such as this one here, are also a great place to meet and do business with people in your industry.

- Trade shows are also another great way to meet and do business with the kind of suppliers you are looking for.

Online marketplaces such as MFG.com are the best option, in my opinion, because we do all the work for you - intelligently matching you with suppliers that have the right equipment, capacity, ratings, certifications, etc.

We would love to have you source your next project on MFG.com, but if you decide not to, then I hope this helps! Check out what other buyer members are saying about their experience here: MFG.com Reviews | MFG.com Customer Testimonials

From Graham, an International Publisher and Equipment Manufacturer: "It's a really easy interface to get stuff made in a reasonable amount of time, and get exactly what you need the first time"

From George, from Pregis Intellipack Corp.: "MFG.com in large measure has enabled us to succeed as a company. The amount of effort to post one RFQ is less than it would be to contact one supplier directly. It multiplies our efficiencies by factors of 10 or 20. It's truly been a revolution. In some ways I credit MFG.com as one of the key factors in our success."

From Lou, a Machine and Defense Manufacturer: "It was very hard to find the suppliers that can do the work we need for our customers. MFG.com was a big help to us for that."

Any questions, feel free to reach out to me anytime!

Also - would be happy to speak with those suppliers who have had a hard time using MFG.com. Our retention level is higher than it has ever been, so let's take a look at your account and see what we can do about it. We would be happy to walk you through any and all of your concerns. Best of luck in all business you do either way!!

Cheers,
-Britni

Britni,
With all due respect, I think you are beating a dead horse with trying to sell most of the members of this site on the benifits of MFG .com.

No, She is trying to tell us there is nothing wrong with the dead horse, don't be concerned about the foul odor and all the maggots and flies. Due respect? I am sure if you put him in a crowd with everyone that was fleeced out of $6,000 a year and got nothing, she wouldn't come out in too good of shape.

Someone on another board was trying to get a class action suit together against MFG.com, I hope they succeed. Someone needs to put these people out of business.

No, She is trying to tell us there is nothing wrong with the dead horse, don't be concerned about the foul odor and all the maggots and flies.

That's funny :D

Due respect? I am sure if you put him in a crowd with everyone that was fleeced out of $6,000 a year and got nothing, she wouldn't come out in too good of shape.

Someone on another board was trying to get a class action suit together against MFG.com, I hope they succeed. Someone needs to put these people out of business.

This isn't :angry: And I too hope they get sued and stopped.

dk

Message too short I suspect....

I found a couple good shops using MFG when I first got started. That was also before I knew of this site. Between existing suppliers and this site I should be good to go.

Once I learned of how much the charge was when a supplier was crying on my shoulder I felt it wasn't the best place to spend my money. Now charging $100 for a customer to use it is sad. It was bad enough when you hear the stories of people getting undercut big time now they will be driving the customer base away preventing people from at least being able get their supplier cost back in work.

I bet they make a killing off overseas companies.

Do not recommend!!! This is a waste of time and money. It is true that you can find there some interesting RFQ's but it will be a true mirracle if you land any serious job. After I spend few months tying to get through wit my quotes (and believe me we are competitive and it was shown that we are in the lead mostly) I have started one account as a buyer. Try this once before you pay something! Oh good what a shtl..d of crap and chinesse likes Godess George, Flower Lilly is there! I got loaded up by litterally hundreds of e-mails and it is impossible to distinguish any serious potential partner. So It's a no go! I lost some 1000 eur on it so I am pissed of preety much. Anyways think you guys where does it leave us? Fighting on knives who's gonna give lowest price? It's self destruction! Let's everybody start on them sites and in two years we'll be all out of business by chinesee and taiwan! If it was for me I would ban it cause it's one big pest this site! So many work hours to price things and nothing out!

It's just bollocks what they say. There is no respect anymore either for buyers who are getting clogged up with chinesee spam and manufacturers who can't get through this mess. And of course no reliable information. Those fancy chart's and all... forget about it i seen it from both sides.. Buer's and manufacturers... It shows completely different in the same rfq. Bullshit that's all.

Buyers need always to beware. The poster for this company has only 2 posts which is entry to splain more about their company.

I would prefer the section of PM that is a place to go for this. I support that.

Back