What's new
What's new

Tariffs on Canadian aluminum reimposed

I don't think I have ever gotten any aluminum from Canada in all my decades of machining. The only outside domestic I have gotten a hold of to my knowledge was from Russia or unfortunately China.

There is a big AL mine in northeast Canada. North of Quebec city. I have spoken to some Canadian companies and they said it was on raw materials only. Not "manufactured products" like castings. They werent too worried about it.

I wonder what they did about the re export of foreign AL that didnt originate in Canada that was flooding the U.S. markets.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "non-alloyed unwrought aluminium" a basic feedstock for value added industries? Such as the making of beer cans, toothpaste tubes etc. and for re-melt to make higher value alloys. Why the f*ck would those industries want to pay 10% more for the raw materials that they make theit profits from?

Yes, beer drinkers in the USA won't be happy about this. And for that matter, the ever-cordial Canuckistanians have made clear they won't take this sitting down:

Beer drinkers won't have a clue. Because it raises the cost of a pack of beer by fractions of a single cent.

Wilbur Ross already got on TV and talked about this. But hey, of course the Guardian of Untruth, the British Bullshit Channel, and others will not mention this.

Of course there's no way to know now, but my guess is they will take this sitting down. I don't mean that they won't do anything whatsoever, but rather they won't do much of substance. Canada is much more dependent on the US than the other way around. There's a good reason most of the population is centered on the border, and it isn't just because of the weather farther north. I still remember when Canada crapped their pants and had Freeland cut a trip in Europe short to immediately fly back to the US when Mexico had said they would go forward without Canada in the USMCA negotiations. Very little coverage on that from the news. They're all slanted.

Why the f*ck would those industries want to pay 10% more for the raw materials that they make theit profits from?

Why would anyone want to pay income taxes, corporate taxes, excise taxes, tolls, or anything else? Are you a libertarian? Or are you just arbitrarily choosing this tax to be against?

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
Why the f*ck would those industries want to pay 10% more for the raw materials that they make theit profits from?
Why would anyone want to pay income taxes, corporate taxes, excise taxes, tolls, or anything else? Are you a libertarian? Or are you just arbitrarily choosing this tax to be against?

Why are you attributing to me what Mark Rand said?

And as to my political affiliation, I'm a Librarian. Or is it Liberian? All these different political parties confuse me.

Hey, wait - Mark Rand. Is he married to Ayn? He's the real Librarian!!

Why are you attributing to me what Mark Rand said?

And as to my political affiliation, I'm a Librarian. Or is it Liberian? All these different political parties confuse me.

Hey, wait - Mark Rand. Is he married to Ayn? He's the real Librarian!!

Ha, sorry. I copied and pasted the quote tag and forgot to edit the name. I corrected it now.

Wilbur Ross already got on TV and talked about this.
He was able to stay awake that long ? Or did they film at .... hard to know when. There's wakeup and a bottle and change the Depends (discreet adult protection), then the morning nap, then lunch, then an afternoon nap, then a nice bowl of Gerber's, then a warm milk and beddy-bye ... when can he fit in a teevee shot ?

You need to look into Rio tinto as well.

They have a base in Australia and have mines all over the world.

They sell aluminium from Australia as well it may go to the usa market.......my information lists income from USA at 8.74 billion AUD how that is broken down from the various products i do not know.

I suppose they may preference the most local source to supply USA as freight would be lower, i don't know their product supply chain, but it may change to australian product since import duties may make up enough difference to justify more Australian product.

Alum has been under pressure on returns to Rio so i expect some price increases just on this let alone import duties, it does not perform as well as its iron ore division.

He was able to stay awake that long ? Or did they film at .... hard to know when. There's wakeup and a bottle and change the Depends (discreet adult protection), then the morning nap, then lunch, then an afternoon nap, then a nice bowl of Gerber's, then a warm milk and beddy-bye ... when can he fit in a teevee shot ?

Waiting for something relevant to the discussion. So we were at it adds costs of fractions of a single cent onto a pack of beer. Therefore, consumers aren't going to care because they won't even know. And I'm not going to feel sorry for the companies.

Only DanASM got this right. The issue is NOT Canadian aluminum. It is Chinese aluminum imported into Canada at below market price and then resold and exported into the US. It's called dumping and Canada is complicit.

You would have to look to see if china has a front company in canada importing to the USA to get around things.

The US gov would know who is named doing the importing, but may not be common knowledge

Back