Ten years from now......... - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder whatever happened to L Webb? He was in the town I went to High School in and if my poor memory serves me correctly was in the process of moving out of So Cal. He then up and vanished.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking into the the future, I cannot say what it will be like.

What I can say is, I am doing the same exact same thing that I did 40 years ago.

for 10x the $.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rugby10 View Post
    . . natural recourses . .
    I'm going to have to borrow that ;-) Missed it a decade plus ago.

Could be, if we keeping screwing with Mother N., we'll need them?

Seems to me we are seeing some changes. With respect to fires/storms/climate/drought/flood/displaced populations etc. -- ten years is likely (IMO) to just see things get more expensive. Insurance harder to get for some. Government less able and willing to provide assistance.

screenshot-2019-11-01-18.58.43.jpg

Add the debt we're already incurring -- and the continued automation of what used to be sold middle class jobs -- and could be we'll see an even smaller middle class, more slipping into near poverty, the top few percent still doing very well. Might be good to be writing AI software. Not so good working at a job paced by it (think Amazon worker stuffing boxes at lower cost than a robot).

Despite the already rising costs, don't see climate effects biting really hard for a few decades. Could get nasty in some areas.

Partisanship seems to be ticking up each decade since about 1970. I'd like to think we'll be less partisan, but the economic stresses are likely to continue to feed that at the fringes. The resurgence of dictatorships across the world -- and more powerful ways to shoot ourselves in the collective feet -- is also not a great sign.

I do think the next generation will be less addicted to mass consumption of stuff. More addicted to consumption of media and the "experience economy" (and with it lots of marginal service jobs?). Smaller houses. Life and relationships carried around inside a phone and backed up in the cloud. That's relatively new. Not necessarily a bad life, but very different from the average guy here owning maybe 10+ tons of tools, two cars and a truck, a largish house, and a shop.

More positive (?) side, we're already seeing huge breakthroughs in AI, automation, ag productivity, energy, health care, etc. Doesn't seem we have to violate any principles of physics-chemistry-biology to reasonably feed, cloth, house, and educate multiple billions of people. So, could be coin flip if 100 years from now we're back on track with science and technology solving more problems than it creates -- or back to a sort of suspicious dark ages -- and maybe most likely a mix??

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can see the near future in the teens next door......climate change groupies,unfortunately they will be voting in three of four years......the manifesto of closing down every industry that provides major revenue to the govt.....I asked the boy what job he plans on ...well none actually,but if pressed he may become a climate change researcher employed by the govt.....but it gets interesting when you ask him where the money will come from?...Simple ,we will take all the money off old people who dont need it,and who earned their "millions" by polluting ,and give it to young people to "save the planet with"....no details needed ,its a quasi religious belief,not open to question.

5. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    . . . it gets interesting when you ask him where the money will come from?. . .Simple ,we will take all the money off old people who dont need it . . .
    In a way, the kid is right - at least in the longer term. We won't be taking it with us.

What we can do is try to make sure they spend whatever we've left to the next generation wisely. Not sure we're doing all that great a job of that?

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post

Add the debt we're already incurring -- and the continued automation of what used to be sold middle class jobs -- and could be we'll see an even smaller middle class, more slipping into near poverty, the top few percent still doing very well.
    THIS!!!
    It will continue but where it will end???

Oh, and Brexit. We're into our 4th year so another 10's a dead cinch that it will still be running...

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread was started 15 years ago and I wonder how many could have guessed what has happened since would happen? A vivid imagination would be required.

Just try and imagine what things will be different 10 years from now.

Within electronics I'm sure changes and new inventions will be mind boggling. I'm imagining something the size of a wrist watch replacing computers. You speak and it answers. Maybe even with a hologram when necessary.

What countries will be doing better and which stagnating or remaining at status quo?

10 years sounds like a short time until I think about how many things were just 10 years ago. To me a mixture of better and worse but mostly better.

Who'll be the new allies and the new "enemies"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Who'll be the new allies and the new "enemies"?

We have always been at war with Oceania.

10. Likes BillE, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    We have always been at war with Oceania.
    I'm wondering if you have any idea which countries are in Oceania.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I'm wondering if you have any idea which countries are in Oceania.
    I'm sure Emmanuel Goldstein could, whoosh!

13. Likes jamscal liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    Looking into the the future, I cannot say what it will be like.

What I can say is, I am doing the same exact same thing that I did 40 years ago.

for 10x the $.
    I know not with what weapons ww3 will be fought with, but ww4 will be fought with sticks and stones.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oceania is under concentrated assault by the Chinese,much to the upset of the old colonial regime in Canberra.They ve hardly moved beyond the blackbirders and the cargo cult days.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The countries in Oceania seem to vary depending on the source.

List of Oceanian countries by population - Wikipedia

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Oceania is under concentrated assault by the Chinese,much to the upset of the old colonial regime in Canberra.They ve hardly moved beyond the blackbirders and the cargo cult days.
    "concentrated assault" sounds militaristic although I know it can mean more than that.

Looking at it from a military point of view how many countries has China in fact invaded/attacked the past century? Off hand I can only think of India and Tibet.

Sino-Indian War - Wikipedia

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Australian government are used to coming ashore in a longboat and handing out ribbons and sugar lollies...........unfortunately for the Qz treasury the islanders have starting playing them off against the Chinese,and demanding millions.The Chinese come with money ,but strings attached ,including sizable Chinese real estate purchases and Chinese settlement....and naval bases..... They may be only four generations removed from eating Chinese ,very tasty by all accounts,but now they want millions ,if not billions for their favours.