What's new
What's new

Timken's now made in China?

woodchuckNJ

Cast Iron
ordered some bearings, Timken 6202 2RS C3 class...

Made in china.

The reason I order Timken is to avoid made in China...
Hoping the quality is up to typical Timken quality.

According to this article, Timken had 7 manufacturing plants in Asia (including China) as far back as 2008.

Timken Adds to Industrial Capacity in Asia with Opening of Two New Plants

The question I still have, is the quality up to the typical Timken quality?

I know that they have been making them all over the world. I just wasn't aware of China. is Timken still doing the QA that they were.

I have purchased Chineese ball bearings that fell apart quickly. I have also purchased some that have been good. But it's hard to know ahead of time which you are going to get.

A big manufacturing company, even a company like Nikon, will setup all the facilities and standards to be the same as if they are in a non-chinese-communist country.
Then all it takes is a average joe (or in this case, a romi-do) to just push the buttons. Then we are screwed. Why should companies come back here? To get a
free vaccination?

I also think it's required for websites to reveal country of origin.

I bought a new Jet (Taiwan) metal lathe in 1982 or so. I had to rebuild it before I could use it. I had to take the headstock apart to re-machine the casting, so I decided to buy new Timken taper roller bearings to replace the Taiwan bearings. The new Timken bearings were made in France, which was a surprise. Back then, mainland Chinese goods were almost never seen in the USA and I thought Timken was all USA. Times change.

Larry

I recently redesigned several pieces of equipment to change from Timken to SKF bearings. Not because of were they are made, but because Timken is too arrogant to even pretend to care about their customers. They said take it or leave it. We left it. Qty ~90, Size ~6-8".

I recently redesigned several pieces of equipment to change from Timken to SKF bearings. Not because of were they are made, but because Timken is too arrogant to even pretend to care about their customers. They said take it or leave it. We left it. Qty ~90, Size ~6-8".

Arrogance seems to be an American thing these days.
I'm still proud to be an American, but I see more ugly American's than ugly any other nation these days.

Unfortunately, my first experience with Timken arrogance, was about 15 years ago. Not sure how much American, but definitely Timken.

On some level, I feel good for their ability to get away with this poor level of customer service. On the other hand, it won't last forever.

Lazy engineers will tell purchasing they have to have this Timken bearing. Up and coming go-getters will change designs to SKF or other. I'm not an up and coming go-getter. Just forced into it : )

Made in china.

Shame to hear. I haven't ordered bearings from Timken in while. Most of the bearings I have are German made. Not because I prefer German stuff over American, I just happened upon a lot of bearings a while ago. I guess I'll have to do my due-dillegence next time I order bearings and make sure they come from where I expect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Made in china.

Timken claims we should see no difference in quality from there now shuttered American bearing plant and there China operations
Sorry Timken, I just don't believe it. This was all about Timken profit, Quality, well it's China.
Maybe Harbor Freight will pick up the Timken line.................

Old news unfortunately.

Bought a pair of Timkens to put into the motor in my SB-13 while I had it pulled apart. Saw 'Made in China' on the boxes and promptly shelved them, called up my local bearing house and specified first-world replacements. Not putting Chinese bearings into a motor that is such a huge pain in the *** to pull out for service. I think he gave me some NSKs. They work okay, but I think they might be loose-clearance variants... motor makes an odd 60-cycle buzz now until things warm up if there's no thrust load on it's shaft. (i.e. finger pressed into center-hole or deliberately offset belt line.)

Anyhow - long gone and dead are the good old days of 'Big Tim':

Not sure where bearing integrated Timken wheel hubs are made for some vehicles - they claim "primary" as, US - whatever that means. They're absolute rubbish, barely suitable to hold up a parked car, ones made in China might be an actual improvement!

I had a large rock crusher to repair that used timkin bearings...24 mo out no price quoted but had to pay 25k up front and then the bal when the bearing would be deliver... with no fixed delivery date...I told Timkin to stuff it, re-machined the housing for roller bearings... cost to cust with bearings 25k 3 weeks total time for job.been running 12 years so far..Phil

Were they these ones?

full

Keep in mind that small stamped steel cage, shielded, C3 ABEC 1 bearings are generally price point rather than high end bearings. They are the ones that didn't make the grade to ABEC3 or CN or C2 clearance. When I want those types of bearings I look for SKF Explorer or a few others who make an ABEC3 upgrade for a little more $$. Might be the same bearing that spec'd out a little better for all I know. Dave

Chinese company will print anything on the box that you want.

"You pick color, you pay cash now."

Back