Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Trade war has started

A trade war has now started between the USA and the EU. The question will be who'll lose most as neither side will win.

USA-EU - international trade in goods statistics - Statistics Explained

European Union | United States Trade Representative

What will happen is the prices will go up both places and, apart from the risk of unemployment, it'll be the consumer that'll end up footing the bill.

What I think we're about to find out is who needs who the more and who'll blink first. In the USA only Trump needs to blink but in the EU, national leaders are going to have to agree to blink together.

Personally I'm hoping for all our sakes that Trump has thought the whole thing out carefully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    A trade war has now started between the USA and the EU. The question will be who'll lose most as neither side will win.

USA-EU - international trade in goods statistics - Statistics Explained

European Union | United States Trade Representative

What will happen is the prices will go up both places and, apart from the risk of unemployment, it'll be the consumer that'll end up footing the bill.

What I think we're about to find out is who needs who the more and who'll blink first. In the USA only Trump needs to blink but in the EU, national leaders are going to have to agree to blink together.

Personally I'm hoping for all our sakes that Trump has thought the whole thing out carefully.
    You are seriously pinning your hopes on trump thinking things through?
    He might have, but if he has the conclusions have nothing to do with the health of our nations and their people, but rather with his people.

3. Likes JoeE., cranium liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no idea who is going to win, but i'm alomost positive that I'm going to loose.

5. Likes Bobw, Hodge, pmack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Trade War

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    You are seriously pinning your hopes on trump thinking things through?
    He might have, but if he has the conclusions have nothing to do with the health of our nations and their people, but rather with his people.
    That comment surprised me also. You are being more objective. Is this a ambush?

7. Likes motion guru, Newman109 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

there are already tariffs on both sides on many things been that way a long time.
    last 40 years USA has been suffering the effects of over valued US dollars. on one hand you can be more foreign goods but hard to sell our stuff to the rest of the world
    if free trade so great how is United Kingdom (Great Britain) been doing last 50 years ?? seen its manufacturing start to disappear. i can think of no better example that to see what happened to the UK that tried free trade these last 50 years. like give example of things make in UK that are easily found or sold all over the world ?? especially items sold that are company owned by British only not company in UK thats owned by Germans, USA, India, etc people

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    That comment surprised me also. You are being more objective. Is this a ambush?
    No change in my position.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    I have no idea who is going to win, but i'm alomost positive that I'm going to loose.
    No comfort but you won't be alone

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    there are already tariffs on both sides on many things been that way a long time.
    last 40 years USA has been suffering the effects of over valued US dollars. on one hand you can be more foreign goods but hard to sell our stuff to the rest of the world
    if free trade so great how is United Kingdom (Great Britain) been doing last 50 years ?? seen its manufacturing start to disappear. i can think of no better example that to see what happened to the UK that tried free trade these last 50 years. like give example of things make in UK that are easily found or sold all over the world ?? especially items sold that are company owned by British only not company in UK thats owned by Germans, USA, India, etc people
    The reason UK manufacturing has been going downhill for 50 years is not "free trade". I'm sure a UK member can explain it to you better than I can.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can bet your last dollar that hasn't happened. Anybody that says trade wars are easy to win doesn't know what he is talking about.

The 3 most important words to remember are deflection,deflection, deflection. This is all about taking your thinking away from the Russian probe and how he and his family have profited from the ZTE deal.He doesn't even try to hide the quid pro quo.

13. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems they had this figured out beforehand:

https://www.fin.gc.ca/activty/consul...cmpcaa-eng.asp

They won’t be the only ones eh?

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been watching and listening to the comments and reactions from European leaders this evening on TV (I'm at -1 GMT) and the impression I'm getting is anger. Politicians in Europe aren't usually as blunt in their comments as they are at the moment.

The EU will retaliate and then what? Escalation?

From what I'm hearing the areas that'll be most affected by retaliation are states where Trump has his voters.

Cooper: Trump hasn't thought trade war through - YouTube

Trump warns European Union of retaliation over tariffs - YouTube

Trump Retaliation: EU Proposes Tariff of 25% on US Goods - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe someone can help me understand. I don't follow this shit as closely as I should.

We were supposed to place tariffs on Chinese and Russian steel and aluminum, and now for some reason we've placed tariffs on Canadian and European steel and Aluminum? WTF?

17. Likes Bobw, JoeE., Hitachi TS15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And now, Mexico is so pissed off they're going to stop exporting Listeria and e-coli.

Things will never be the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe someone can help me understand. I don't follow this shit as closely as I should.

We were supposed to place tariffs on Chinese and Russian steel and aluminum, and now for some reason we've placed tariffs on Canadian and European steel and Aluminum? WTF?
    The play was “we will set tariffs on everyone unless they play ball”

I believe we are seeing that the result was not as expected.

20. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    The play was “we will set tariffs on everyone unless they play ball”

I believe we are seeing that the result was not as expected.
    "It ain't over till the fat lady sings"
    "When all is said and done, much more will have been said, than done."

22. Likes Larry Dickman, Bobw, JohnEvans liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From the comments I'm hearing from European journalists then Trump is keeping "promises" made to his voting core. The big question is whether or not his voters knew and understood the ramifications and consequences of his many promises.

Pissing allies and trading partners off takes seconds. Restoring faith can take years.

What is certain as things are is that many will lose their jobs (all countries involved) and prices will go up. Even on goods not directly affected it'll be an excuse to jack up prices in general. Europe will blame Trump. Who'll Americans blame?

Juggling Fire Goes Wrong - YouTube

24. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    I think you really have no idea.
    Manufacturing died in the UK due to goverment decree.
    America hasnt suffered due to strong dollar the west lost manufacturing at the same time.

One good reason is taiwan, japan china and korea are much better at it.
    When India and south America comes on line fully it gets even harder

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

good thing he wasn't the guy who juggles running chainsaws.
    I think we're safe for a while. Trump is busy working on a pardon for Martha Cuntster.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pressbrake1 View Post
    I think you really have no idea.
    Manufacturing died in the UK due to goverment decree.
    America hasnt suffered due to strong dollar the west lost manufacturing at the same time.
    As I saw (from a distance) then what happened in the UK is what is happening now in the USA. With only a 2 party system (it was only 2 parties back then) they used their energy fighting against each other more than fighting for the country.

The UK voting system doesn't help either. A majority isn't necessary to win a constituency. Just more votes than whoever comes next. The more candidates the less number of personal votes needed to win. A hell of a lot of votes get wasted. I never thought about it until after I left.

Prosperity or poverty in the UK depends very much on which area you live.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think we're safe for a while. Trump is busy working on a pardon for Martha Cuntster.
    Not so sure. The EU is getting time to figure out where to hit that hurts most.

eu tariff retaliation - Google Search