Trade war has started - Page 28
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Before I dissect that claim by looking at the numbers I wan't to point out how much you reveal about yourself by saying it.

One of your favorite ritual words for insulting me is "bunker". In post after post you express opinions that show YOU are the one with a bunker mentality, obsessed with hate and fear over "violent redneck militias" whose real numbers are grossly inflated by outfits like the Supremely Profitable Lie Center who rake in enormous amounts of money from donors terrified by their boogeyman fables. This is no different than the "alt" media who whip their readers and listeners into a frenzy over "FEMA death camps controlled by zionist overlords". Both are based on gross distortions of reality that keep their audience hooked and coming back for more.

Now for the numbers.

In the U.S. the percentage of non-Hispanic whites is currently something like 63%. Assuming non-whites have no desire for a return to Jim Crow your ridiculous claim of 20% would mean that nearly one out of three whites support such an idea. That is not only ridiculous but is bouncing-off-the-walls crazy! By repeating such nonsense you display an attitude that is way outside the mainstream. We know from history that demonizing those who disagree with you is often a prelude to mass murder. I shudder to think what would happen if people with your mindset ever assumed power in this country.
    Ever been down south. Idaho?
    And I suppose that 20% of the dominant culture is a more accurate thing to say. Within a population it’s around 20%. What you conveniently ignore is that white people run things and that white people and I white people have very different experiences of what being an American means.
    The last woman from the greenwood massacre is still alive.
    Just as there are people alive who remember lynchings...from both sides of the rope.

But it’s high enough that places like NC elected people that passed voter laws the court held to be ‘surgically precise’ in their targeting of race. It’s high enough that the apologists come out like termites when police treat white people differently than black.

You yourself may not be in the 5% who would endorse full jim crow...
    But you are certainly in their supporters.
    You might not endorse a law saying black can’t go somewhere.
    But certainly are the apologist for police stopping people based on skin color.
    And if the law said black people couldnt go some where or do something like vote...you’d defend those laws from removal.
    You attack the SPLC...who do you expect to do research into race based hate groups? They doo real, good work.
    They are the recognized authority globally.
    You just don’t like that they shine light into the bunkers...including yours.
    Bunkers from which race specific violence and rhetoric flow.
    Sorry...YOU are part of the problem, you don’t get to pretend it doesn’t exist.

It’s not me talking about the right wing militias.
    It’s law enforcement.
    They aren’t scared of gettin mowed down by antifa...
    They worry about the NAZIS and religious compounds.

2. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Meanwhile, we are paying 23% more for 6061 bar stock than we were before the idiot-in-chief started his "trade war."

Easy to win, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bucktruck View Post
    Meanwhile, we are paying 23% more for 6061 bar stock than we were before the idiot-in-chief started his "trade war."

Easy to win, right?
    Like all wars...there are winners.
    But it’s not the people...nor the nations for that matter.

The broken window parable applies to all wars, trade or otherwise.
    Parable of the broken window - Wikipedia

Some times people break things because they make money fixing them...or s lying the tools for others to break more things.

5. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    Yes if only the targeted tariff had been the last one. Yet Trump did threaten a trade war for sure. Perhaps there might have been smarter way to protect our steel and aluminum capacity. I am not sure what other options could be done. One steel mill has been reopened already.

With cheaper prices it seems more can be produced overall. Maybe build some more damns.
    People keep talking about steel and alu capacity as if it’s threatened.
    It’s not.
    What little threat to alu comes from Canada.
    I’m sorry if I just can’t see Canada suppluing our aluminum as a security risk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Forgive me Gordon- you know I am not the name calling type.
    I find the story line playing out on the peninsula quite curious though.
    What do we say about antecedents.
    It seems the lay of the land there is inescapably tied to Ďbig brotherí China and Russia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    It seems the lay of the land their is inescapably tied to ‘big brother’ China and Russia.
    An the USA.
    NK is a client state.
    So is SK...less so now because of their economy...but still a client to the USA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WOW! But I did say "bouncing off the walls crazy, didn't I?

These probably say it better than I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    And I suppose that 20% of the dominant culture is a more accurate thing to say. Within a population itís around 20%. What you conveniently ignore is that white people run things and that white people and I white people have very different experiences of what being an American means.
    Just as there are people alive who remember lynchings...from both sides of the rope.

But itís high enough that places like NC elected people that passed voter laws the court held to be Ďsurgically preciseí in their targeting of race. Itís high enough that the apologists come out like termites when police treat white people differently than black.

You might not endorse a law saying black canít go somewhere.
    And if the law said black people couldnt go some where or do something like vote...youíd defend those laws from removal.
    You attack the SPLC...who do you expect to do research into race based hate groups? They doo real, good work.
    You just donít like that they shine light into the bunkers...including yours.
    Sorry...YOU are part of the problem, you donít get to pretend it doesnít exist.

Itís not me talking about the right wing militias.
    Itís law enforcement.
    They arenít scared of gettin mowed down by antifa...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WOW! But I did say "bouncing off the walls crazy, didn't I?
    Your fallacy today is ad hominum.

And if you are going to talk about swollen numbers we should explore your pathology.
    You live in a safe state with a safe city...yet you cite ‘demographics’ to justify your fear of black people.
    Talk about swollen numbers justifying racism.

There is nothing swollen about the numbers when you look at almost any metric of implemented racism in this nation.

We know you are an apologist for race based policing.
    Same for voter disenfranchisement.
    Same for the disproportionate punishment and police killings.
    Same for educational opportunities.

The softer form of Jim Crow...but no less blatantly racist.

I’m not sure quite why you keep trying to say that racism either doesn’t exist or does not matter or that there are no racists any more.
    But it’s kind of weird how you apologist and defend a system and people that are clearly on the ‘evil’ end of humanity.
    Treating people as less than people for no reason except their race is pretty evil.
    Letting that happen and endorsing it isn’t quite as evil.
    But as is said.
    All that is needed for evil to win is for good (men) to do nothing.
    Yet you defend those very policies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And I suppose that 20% of the dominant culture is a more accurate thing to say. Within a population itís around 20%. What you conveniently ignore is that white people run things and that white people and I white people have very different experiences of what being an American means.

But itís high enough that places like NC elected people that passed voter laws the court held to be Ďsurgically preciseí in their targeting of race. Itís high enough that the apologists come out like termites when police treat white people differently than black.

You might not endorse a law saying black canít go somewhere.
    And if the law said black people couldnt go some where or do something like vote...youíd defend those laws from removal.
    You just donít like that they shine light into the bunkers...including yours.
    Sorry...YOU are part of the problem, you donít get to pretend it doesnít exist.

Itís not me talking about the right wing militias.
    Itís law enforcement.
    They arenít scared of gettin mowed down by antifa...
    Scott actually the SPLC is pretty acurate if you compare your locale to the map it comes in handy. One may wish to avoid that part of town or take a really fast car. Perhaps other measures could be taken. It is all too real and if one does not understand fully the bad effect of racism then it just shows you need to widen out and get to know people and if you do there is no way one can simply blow off these concerns. Jim Crowe destroyed and traumatized the black community yet look it has survived to deliverance. Such is a good thing we are all Americans.

BTW some good music. The Kinks dates you though young fellow.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    It seems the lay of the land there is inescapably tied to ‘big brother’ China and Russia.
    I think some tend to forget, or just don't know, that North Korea shares borders with China and Russia.

A while ago but think how the USA reacted towards Cuba and USSR in 1962. There isn't really that much difference with so many US troops etc. stationed in South Korea.

How would the USA react if either Canada or Mexico got really friendly with China or Russia?

I know Trump is just behaving as he's always done but this time it's not individuals or businesses he's dealing with but leaders of countries and if pushed, they push back. They have to or look weak and end up not getting re-elected!

Think about the fact that even the Americans that detest Trump will become patriotic if they feel the USA is being threatened and not just Trump. For better or worse Trump does represent the US image for the time being.

13. Likes Trboatworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Scott actually the SPLC is pretty acurate if you compare your locale to the map it comes in handy. One may wish to avoid that part of town or take a really fast car. Perhaps other measures could be taken. It is all too real and if one does not understand fully the bad effect of racism then it just shows you need to widen out and get to know people and if you do there is no way one can simply blow off these concerns. Jim Crowe destroyed and traumatized the black community yet look it has survived to deliverance. Such is a good thing we are all Americans.

????????????????????????????????????????

No idea at all what those first two sentences mean.

Aside from that I don't know why those of you on the left always pull that "get out more" crap on those who disagree with you. I've met all kinds of people over the years from virtually most parts of the globe and most of them were good people who were focused on getting on with life rather than focusing on negatives. Bad things happen but the healthy attitude is to look forward rather than at the past.

Growing up I knew people who had actually experienced Jim Crow personally. A very good friend of my dad's who originally came from a Jim Crow state told how amazed he was when he found out that he could go into a bar in Boston after work with white coworkers and get served. He and another man also told about the difficulties of travel with a family when many restrooms were off-limits and in many places the only restaurant food they could get was take out at the back door to be eaten in their car. Over the years we gradually heard about the many humiliations that had to be quietly endured or risk being jailed or worse.

But that was the past and there are very few alive today who personally experienced that. What many of the younger people today label as racism would have been considered minor irritations by those who had suffered the real thing.

I soundly reject Miguel and others' accusations of racism, collective guilt by virtue of white skin, etc.

It's basically just a Marxist strategy to turn society upside down so they can take what others earned. Notice how carefully Miguel skirts questions about his own ethnicity. He's not Hispanic, probably only identifies as white when it suits him, and has expressed some of the most vile comments about "brown people" that I've seen on this forum.

Primarily because the mud races are poorer.
    Fewer offices, less support, no car to go downtown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I soundly reject Miguel and others' accusations of racism, collective guilt by virtue of white skin, etc.
    His persona here anyway is quite racist and he openly promotes that its good to treat people differently based on their skin colour. People in glass houses......

16. Likes camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

????????????????????????????????????????

No idea at all what those first two sentences mean.

Aside from that I don't know why those of you on the left always pull that "get out more" crap on those who disagree with you. I've met all kinds of people over the years from virtually most parts of the globe and most of them were good people who were focused on getting on with life rather than focusing on negatives. Bad things happen but the healthy attitude is to look forward rather than at the past.

Growing up I knew people who had actually experienced Jim Crow personally. A very good friend of my dad's who originally came from a Jim Crow state told how amazed he was when he found out that he could go into a bar in Boston after work with white coworkers and get served. He and another man also told about the difficulties of travel with a family when many restrooms were off-limits and in many places the only restaurant food they could get was take out at the back door to be eaten in their car. Over the years we gradually heard about the many humiliations that had to be quietly endured or risk being jailed or worse.

But that was the past and there are very few alive today who personally experienced that. What many of the younger people today label as racism would have been considered minor irritations by those who had suffered the real thing.

It's basically just a Marxist strategy to turn society upside down so they can take what others earned. Notice how carefully Miguel skirts questions about his own ethnicity. He's not Hispanic, probably only identifies as white when it suits him, and has expressed some of the most vile comments about "brown people" that I've seen on this forum.
    Of course you reject it.
    You are a racist...maybe not a supremacist but at the very least a separatists.
    You have said plenty of things that make that clear.
    From defending racist policies to using ‘demographics’ to defend your own personal fears.

Turn society upside down?
    That what the slavers said before the civil war.
    Yes...some things are so odious they need to be changed.
    That’s not ‘marxism’ it’s humanity and morality.

Defending evil policies is evil as well.
    You defend racism as being some how necessary to prevent ‘marxism’?
    Seriously.
    Get a grip.You are a scared person hiding from brown people and change.
    Scared of the future and stuck in a past that never really existed.

You think things have changed?
    Sure...but black people still get charged and convicted at disproportionately high rates, are killed by cops, have their votes removed, and he’ll...Starbucks just had a couple black folks arrested fo waiting for a friend and using the bathroom.

Go ahead, defend it...that just means you are defending racism...which makes YOU a racist.
    Minor irritations?
    I suppose in comparison to being lynched being shot by cops is minor.
    Being pulled over driving a nice car is minor compared to being attacked by a mob.
    Hell...having the chances of getting a job being reduced for having a ‘black sounding name’ is minor compared to being explicitly barred from the profession.
    Hell, being redlined and having reduced chances of getting a mortgage beats being run out of town at sunset...or being flatly prohibited for living in certain communities.

Minor...
    Yep, keep denying it and keep defending it.

Hey Spinit...
    Scott just called you a leftist.
    How about that shit.
    You just got thrown in the same box as Marx, me, sharpton, clinton, obama, and anyone else Scott doesn’t like because they make him look in the mirror.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Scott doesn’t like facts.He will do damn near anything to avoid looking in the mirror.

Scott will “blow off” those concerns.
    He’s the kind of guy that would be in the back seat of the car shooting up the black folks home...too much of a coward to drive though.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by juergenwt View Post
    Once upon a time there was this poor chap returning to England with a piece of paper and proudly announcing after meeting with a dictator:"Peace for our times".
    How soon we forget!
    Once upon a time some didn't imagine Japan would attack the USA. Pearl Harbor shouldn't have happened.

Don't throw stones in a greenhouse.

If though you are taking a shot at Trump then why not wait and see what happens?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What many of the younger people today label as racism would have been considered minor irritations by those who had suffered the real thing.
    Sadly, you have no idea what the above says about you.
    Last edited by bucktruck; 06-13-2018 at 04:51 PM.

21. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    His persona here anyway is quite racist and he openly promotes that its good to treat people differently based on their skin colour. People in glass houses......
    Meh, I promote the fixing of previous evils.
    It just happens that those evils in the USA are largely race based.
    I also promote the repair of poverty based evils.

There’s a difference between using a criteria to identify injustice and address it and using the same criteria to subvert justice.
    If you can’t see that you fall imto another category of apologists.

When a man is wrongly convicted of a crime and sent to prison, he is released, gets an apology and a hand up out of the hole was thrown in.
    Does the same thing not apply to a group similarly treated?
    Particularly when it wasn’t just a ‘mistake’ but rather an intentional abuse.

23. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bucktruck View Post
    Sadly, you have know idea what the above says about you.
    This modern racism isn’t the ‘real thing’...wow.
    I missed that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Once upon a time some didn't imagine Japan would attack the USA. Pearl Harbor shouldn't have happened.

Don't throw stones in a greenhouse.

If though you are taking a shot at Trump then why not wait and see what happens?
    This does not make sense. We knew we were at risk yet we did not know of the attack.
    it was our disaster not yours do not seem to condescend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This does not make sense. We knew we were at risk yet we did not know of the attack.
    it was our disaster not yours do not seem to condescend.
    There’s a whole conspiracy theory about us knowing it was coming.

But frankly, it should not have come as a surprise...
    Not the attack, but the escalation to conflict.
    The USA was strangling japan...and they had a solid pacific fleet.
    They had reason to think the Western Pacific was their playground.