Trading with a sane president... - Page 76
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 76 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 1819
  1. #1501
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3358
    Likes (Received)
    3567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Could it be that the Nordic countries are mocking?

    Left to right - Prime ministers of Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland and Iceland.

    Attachment 199995 Attachment 199996
    No wonder they keep messing up. Yes .wishing on a crystal ball may be a littlr better than wishing on a soccer ball…but if they could just find a blarney stone..

    Blarney Stone - Kiss the Blarney Stone ot Give One!

    Ot: i found what looks like a iron meteorite a little larger than a shot put ball and that heavy in a gravel digging about 10 feet below the surrounding surface level.. Have to take it to the university (MSU) to prove good or not..Yes in the same gravel pit where my grand son is finding small specks of gold.

  2. Likes camscan, Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
  3. #1502
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    No wonder they keep messing up. Yes .wishing on a crystal ball may be a littlr better than wishing on a soccer ball…but if they could just find a blarney stone..

    Blarney Stone - Kiss the Blarney Stone ot Give One!

    Ot: i found what looks like a iron meteorite a little larger than a shot put ball and that heavy in a gravel digging about 10 feet below the surrounding surface level.. Have to take it to the university (MSU) to prove good or not..Yes in the same gravel pit where my grand son is finding small specks of gold.
    Remember and get them to stop before they reach SeaMoss in China (town).

  4. Likes converterking liked this post
  5. #1503
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3358
    Likes (Received)
    3567

    Default

    China is so very big that a little moss around the edges can't hurt...IMHO

    Still it is a wonder those dopes are running the world..and it is mostly our fault.

  6. #1504
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,754
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3164
    Likes (Received)
    3587

    Default

    When I saw that photo on the left, first thought was its from an Austin Powers movie.

  7. #1505
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    When I saw that photo on the left, first thought was its from an Austin Powers movie.
    My first thought was "What's the Saudi prince seeing that the others aren't?"

  8. Likes converterking liked this post
  9. #1506
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Country
    CHINA
    Posts
    1,576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    "What's the Saudi prince seeing that the others aren't?"
    A kindred spirit who is momentarily not wearing his sheet ?

  10. #1507
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    5695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    When I saw that photo on the left, first thought was its from an Austin Powers movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    My first thought was "What's the Saudi prince seeing that the others aren't?"
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    A kindred spirit who is momentarily not wearing his sheet ?
    It's a Palintir...

  11. Likes Bobw, litlerob1 liked this post
  12. #1508
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    moscow,ohio
    Posts
    5,906
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    579
    Likes (Received)
    1889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    A kindred spirit who is momentarily not wearing his sheet ?
    I didn't realize Sessions was there too.

  13. #1509
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Country
    CHINA
    Posts
    1,576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    I didn't realize Sessions was there too.
    He's wearing the Dark Cloak of Invisibility. They've been searching for the Ring ever since the shrub took it off to take the peas around the ice hole and forgot where he left it ...

    onering.jpg

  14. #1510
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    After the Jeff Sessions visit to Congress the media has had a lot of chatter about Executive Privilege and is suggesting that the reticence about revealing some details of conversations with his boss is both unusual and ominous.

    So, I thought I'd do a little checking to see what courts have said about it and instances where other administrations have used it. Here's what this Justia article has to say about the subject. The quotes within the article come from the Supreme Court. (emphasis added)

    'Presidential communications, the Court said, have “a presumptive privilege.” “The privilege is fundamental to the operation of government and inextricably rooted in the separation of powers under the Constitution.” The operation of government is furthered by the protection accorded communications between high government officials and those who advise and assist them in the performance of their duties. “A President and those who assist him must be free to explore alternatives in the process of shaping policies and making decisions and to do so in a way many would be unwilling to express except privately.” The separation of powers basis derives from the conferral upon each of the branches of the Federal Government of powers to be exercised by each of them in great measure independent of the other branches. The confidentiality of presidential conversations flows then from the effectuation of enumerated powers.'

    Congressional Access to Executive Branch Information :: Article II. Executive Department :: US Constitution :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia
    What interests me is what you now think after reading what you posted.

    The thing I'm liking most at the moment is how quiet Trump is compared to how he usually is.

  15. Likes JoeE., converterking liked this post
  16. #1511
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    5695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    After the Jeff Sessions visit to Congress the media has had a lot of chatter about Executive Privilege and is suggesting that the reticence about revealing some details of conversations with his boss is both unusual and ominous.

    So, I thought I'd do a little checking to see what courts have said about it and instances where other administrations have used it. Here's what this Justia article has to say about the subject. The quotes within the article come from the Supreme Court. (emphasis added)

    'Presidential communications, the Court said, have “a presumptive privilege.” “The privilege is fundamental to the operation of government and inextricably rooted in the separation of powers under the Constitution.” The operation of government is furthered by the protection accorded communications between high government officials and those who advise and assist them in the performance of their duties. “A President and those who assist him must be free to explore alternatives in the process of shaping policies and making decisions and to do so in a way many would be unwilling to express except privately.” The separation of powers basis derives from the conferral upon each of the branches of the Federal Government of powers to be exercised by each of them in great measure independent of the other branches. The confidentiality of presidential conversations flows then from the effectuation of enumerated powers.'

    Congressional Access to Executive Branch Information :: Article II. Executive Department :: US Constitution :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia
    Remember the congress declaring Holder in contempt?
    How did you feel about that?
    My favorite was Dick Cheney invoking executive privelege regarding his meetings with Enron.

  17. #1512
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    3,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4007
    Likes (Received)
    12668

  18. Likes converterking liked this post
  19. #1513
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    5695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    And if you read the article you would have seen the part where it is the job of the third branch, the courts, to decide the matter of privilege when it is in dispute.
    It's actually a fairly narrow window.
    But the courts have been particularly unwilling to overturn it.

  20. #1514
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    443
    Likes (Received)
    1754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    And if you read the article you would have seen the part where it is the job of the third branch, the courts, to decide the matter of privilege when it is in dispute.
    Also worth noting that a Federal District Court ruled against the Obama administration, saying that the documents sought in the Fast and Furious scandal were not deliberative, and the Justice Dept. had to hand them over.

    The records sought were DOJ documents regarding the F&F operation, and Obama had previously claimed no knowledge of F&F- so claiming executive privilege over documents he supposedly knew nothing about was pure obstruction.

    The fall guy was the US attorney in Arizona- guy named Dennis Burke. He was a crony of Janet Napolitano, had been with her when she was AG in AZ and later Gov. She brought him with her to D.C., and they gave him the US Atty. job in AZ. As the top Federal LEO in AZ, he was the one that actually ran F&F.

    Before working for Napolitano, he was an aide to Senator DeConcini from AZ. Burke was the main person responsible for pushing the Clinton Assault Weapons ban. DeConcini later said it would have never made it through the Senate without him.

  21. #1515
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    635
    Likes (Received)
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    It's actually a fairly narrow window.
    But the courts have been particularly unwilling to overturn it.
    The privilege assumes that the communication in question is somehow necessary to the effective functioning of government. I dont think it would apply to discussions associated with a cover-up or illegal activity. Speaking for myself, I strongly suspect that conversations have occurred that fall into those categories.

    Just sayin...

    Squire

    Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, Tahlequah OK

  22. Likes JoeE. liked this post
  23. #1516
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    2,123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1354
    Likes (Received)
    2721

    Default

    @Scottl,

    Well said. Every time there's a shooter, people try to find out if he claimed any label they can use to defame others' using that label. It's a terribly and petty attempt where they lack the merit to do so any other way. People of all walks of life try it, no 'type' of people are immune from some pettiness people show.

    That said, there is one political joke I saw that was kinda funny if you're a bit twisted.

    Rand Paul spoke about the safety of representatives being important, etc etc,
    Someone posted a screenshot of a tweet he made a while back which said (quote) "Why do we have a Second Amendment? It’s not to shoot deer. It’s to shoot at the government when it becomes tyrannical!"

    I mean, I agree with his statement, that is factually why it was written. Bringing it up right now is definitely dark humor, so I half-apologize if anyone takes offense. But I did think it was funny. (not to be taken seriously, before anyone gets butthurt)

  24. #1517
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    5695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Well, I guess you would only find it funny if you thought we were in a tyranny. While many aspects of government seem to have been heading us in that direction for decades we are still a long way from the situation Rand Paul alluded to.

    If we were in a tyranny those of us who criticized Obama under the previous administration and those who criticize Trump now would have suffered severe consequences and might have even disappeared. Not liking the results of an election or the direction policy goes is not the same as living under tyranny. For the past eight years many "alt" bloggers were making predictions about concentration camps with guillotines for mass executions, "red lists" for dissidents to be rounded up and other horrible things, all "coming soon to a neighborhood near you". None of these things happened and Obama turned over power peacefully. When his term or terms end Trump will do the same.

    For those of you who don't understand Paul's meaning you must look back in time to see how tyranny works. When America was a colony of Britain we were largely treated as an enemy under occupation. People were imprisoned without trial, private property was taken or destroyed, and various taxes and measures were imposed without our having any say.

    I heard the statements by Senator Paul. What he actually said was that although many of the members of Congress could legally carry firearms in Virginia they are prohibited by the laws of Washington DC from doing so there, where they work. This makes it impractical for them to have been armed at that ball field because they would have to leave them in Virginia before proceeding from the practice to their jobs in the Capitol.

    He also said that because most ordinary members are not assigned protective details it was fortunate that the Majority Whip was there with his detail or it would have been "a massacre".

    Another thing he pointed out was that with only a single entrance in a field surrounded by a 20 foot fence they were essentially trapped in a cage and the assailant seemed to be deliberately herding them into a section of the field where they would be easy prey with no means of escape. It is very clear to me that he (the assailant) studied the ground very carefully and had given much thought to his "hunt".
    He should have spent more time at the range if he wanted to be effective.

  25. #1518
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    2,123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1354
    Likes (Received)
    2721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Well, I guess you would only find it funny if you thought we were in a tyranny. While many aspects of government seem to have been heading us in that direction for decades we are still a long way from the situation Rand Paul alluded to.
    Fastest way to ruin a joke is to analyze it. It's just a joke, Francis, lighten up. Like I said - don't take it seriously. But here we are...

  26. Likes JoeE. liked this post
  27. #1519
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    5695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    IMO the "joke" is only funny to those who think we are living in a tyranny under Trump. Rand Paul's statement exactly summarizes the opinions of those who wrote the Second Amendment. There is NOTHING funny about the suggestion that this madman was somehow fighting tyranny by attempting to murder a bunch of Congressmen practicing baseball.

    And need I remind you that YOU are the one who put this "joke" forward as if it were somehow relevant.
    It's quite possible that he did feel he was living in tyranny.
    There were plenty of people in the colonies that did not feel it was a tyrannical situation.

  28. #1520
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    2,123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1354
    Likes (Received)
    2721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    IMO the "joke" is only funny to those who think we are living in a tyranny under Trump. Rand Paul's statement exactly summarizes the opinions of those who wrote the Second Amendment. There is NOTHING funny about the suggestion that this madman was somehow fighting tyranny by attempting to murder a bunch of Congressmen practicing baseball.

    And need I remind you that YOU are the one who put this "joke" forward as if it were somehow relevant.


    tenchars

  29. Likes JoeE. liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •