What's new
What's new

Berkshire Hathaway buys ISCAR

Didn't realize that Iscar was THAT big of a company. Think they would spend more on their advertising, it's pretty cheesy, but not as bad as Mitisubshi.

"Berkshire has been flush with more than $40 billion in cash"
And where do you think they got it??? They sucked it out of the companies that they bought.

I would like someone to identify one single company that has prospered after being acquired by BH.

Leigh, they are the owners of the companies they buy, aren't they? The whole purpose of owning a company is to make money for the owner, isn't it? Don't understand your ire at BH, please elaborate. The article states that BH holds majority ownership in Coca-Cola, among a few others, and I can't say Coke is hurting financially and keep a good conscience. Their companies may or may not have prospered, but they must be fairly healthy or they wouldn't be producing so much income for BH shareholders.

Based on ISCAR's machining technology and the fact that China is buying Boeing planes, the purchase appears to good financial makes sense.

This from an MMS / ISCAR web page:

The design of the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner relies extensively on composite materials. That aspect of the plane has received attention—rightly so. However, composites aren’t the only reason why this plane is materially different. Compared to other commercial aircraft, the 787 also uses " (significantly more parts made from titanium. To machine just the titanium necessary to fill the orders for this one aircraft, Boeing will need to employ 1,000 spindles within the next 3 to 5 years.)"

Here is a link to read the rest if you wish:

http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/030603.html

Bernard

Contrary to what our resident conspiracy theorist may think, Warren Buffet is an investor and not a raider.

Iscar was privately held by one family. It would be logical to assume, if a family is savvy enough to build up a business whose value to Buffet is $5B for an 80% stake, then they're probably smart enough to have noticed if there was a few billion in cash or highly liquid assets just laying around in their operation. That's the kind of thing a raider looks for, and the dumbest kid on the block knows a raider can't do a damn thing to manipulate stock values or anything else to force the sale of a closely held corporation. Hard to figure any underhanded reason why Buffet would want it, other than for the possibility he figures a big infusion of cash into the company might enhance its performance and make him and his investors some money via increased sales and market share on the part of Iscar.

A bit of research into Buffet and his philosophies regarding dealing in stocks will show he has little in common with hoodlums in $5000 suits like Icahn or Michael Milken. He buys with the intention of holding, and just happens to be better at the game than anyone else in the world over the last 45 years or so.

Bernard makes the point.
Good investment sense.
now go out and buy Sandvik or Kenametal
if you want to get into BH's game.

In short, Warren Buffit must see three things that we do not.
1. machine tooling is profitable
2. machine tooling will continue to be profitable
3. Israel is safe enough to invest in (Iscar plants are in Israel)

here is one of the wisest investment guru's, telling us the economy is doing good and will continue to do so..but don't read the news papers

Rich

metlmunchr, the 80% part is the fastenating part to watch. I have watched him buy 80-90% share in a family business. Then the family stays to run the business with a formula that the other 10-20% has no upper limit of value if the workers and management make it worth more.

As I understand it, Berkshire Hathaway works is as follows:

1. Warren Buffet buys companies that are profitable and well managed.
2. Excess profits from these companies are invested by Buffett and not their own internal investment groups.
3. Some companies, like Coke are pure investments.

Big companies often have significant liquid assets that they need to manage - money they are not ready to return to shareholders. This money needs to be managed so that it retains its value (the time value of money thing) and so big companies often have a money manager doing this job. This is where Buffett fits in - who better to manage your liquid assets!

This is why Buffett likes insurance companies - they are essentially companies that MUST invest their money carefully because it is the gamble they are making - that your invested premiums will more then cover the costs of claims. An insurance company (Geico, for example) benefits when its money is invested more carefully by being more competitive (i.e. lower rates).

There is a good synergy in this arrangement - Buffett is an exceptional investor and the companies he owns outright benefit from his savvy. He is like the anti-raider. I'm not aware of any company he has ever dismantled for its "hidden assets".

I have no affiliation with BH other then being a shareholder (I have not, however, been to Omaha - so I guess I'm not a true believer yet
).

Cheers,
Bob Welland

Buffet is also in the for long haul with companies he invests in - the antithesis of "Chainsaw AL" who has screwed up every company that was brought in to rescue for the "investors" . . .

I am glad to see that the original owners will have sway over the management of the company. Lets hope that when Warren kicks the bucket that those he has groomed to take over have the same long term outlook.

3. Israel is safe enough to invest in (Iscar plants are in Israel)

Well, maybe. Israelis are not having kids as fast as Palestinians. Demography is destiny and it's just a matter of time before the Israelis have to share more power. Certainly they can't keep going as they are now.

ISCAR could stay behind if Israel folds up, or they could go elsewhere. I'm starting to think that the real capital of a company are in its people and processes, which can be moved if necessary.

Gene

There was an article in Friday's Wall Street Journal about Mr. Buffett's future investment plans. They listed six investment objectives that are detailed in Berkshire Hathaway's annual reports. Some of the six are

Consistant Earnings, not future projections
No Debtors
Management in Place "We can't supply it"
Simple Businesses "If there's lots of technology, we won't understand it"

Basically, his firm is a passive investment firm, that is very, very good at picking investments.

Thermo1

here is one of the wisest investment guru's, telling us the economy is doing good and will continue to do so..but don't read the news papers
You sure about that? From the last I knew of Warren, he and the big dogs are betting that the US is going to slide economically. That's why he's doing his first "off shore" purchase of ISCAR.

GeneH -
Your right, the read assests of a carbide company are how to make the stuff, not the plant. Composition, process control and you can add the name value. The operation is very portable if Isreal does go south.

I've had an after hours walking tour of a custom carbide tooling company. The batch room was very custom but the rest was very cheap and common. A vacume oven, 8 machine tools to make the blank and a 100 ton press. Nothing special until you hit the batch room. The batch room was something else, I can't say the details, but I was impressed. I imagine it is the same for Iscar, just more of it.

Ted

The operation is very portable if Isreal does go south.

Back during World War One the US was deeply divided over the war. One in four Americans were of German ancestry. Many towns in the midwest had German language newspapers. Wilson absolutely refused to take sides, which annoyed Teddy Roosevelt and many others deeply.

The British had borrowed seven billion dollars from Morgan interests to buy war materiel. J.P. Morgan instigated the US government to end its neutrality. Between the "Zimmerman Telegram" and some well placed explosives on the Lusitania", the US was dragged into the war.

The British got a supply of fresh meat. 117,000 Americans died in action or of the flu. J.P. Morgan probably got his loan money back.

Today I could easily see Berkshire Hathaway, AIPAC and many others demanding that we defend Israel, and their own investments. The more American money in Israel, the more pressure to back their plays.

Gene

Visbert, there is a class B share at 1/30 the value of the class A. Buffet started that program cause guys were going to buy shares and sell fractional units of them. With transaction fees, of course. So, yes, you can own his stock for around 3000.
Quite a show at the Omaha airport on Saturday with all the heavy iron coming in to listen to him. I think his company had 100 or so jets of their own.

Back