What's new
What's new

U.S. Automotive Industry

Is it just me, or does having U.S. autoworkers that drive foreign cars park in separate lots seem a little harsh on Ford's part? I wonder where employees at U.S. automaker plants in China have to park if they drive a Chinese-made car?
I believe Ford's problems run a little deeper than a few employees driving foreign cars. Maybe Ford should ask these employees why their aren't driving a U.S.-made car?

Martin
Let spose you work at a Bakery, maybe you evn OWN the bakery....

Would you allow your wife to buy bread from some other bakery?

If I don't believe enough in my own product to buy it, why should I expect others to buy it?!

As far as I know, the posting of "Ford Only Cars" was agreed upon by management and labor at the plants in question. I agree that this is a symbolic gesture that will not save the company, but it is completely understandable.

How many cubicles at Microsoft HQ do you suppose are running MacIntosh computers? Do you think FedEx managers use UPS when they need to send a package?

The Co I worked for long ago sold very expensive equipment to the auto industry. The usual Co car of your choise, Ford, Chevy, or Plymoth was issued to all salesmen and servicemen nationwide except in the Detroit office where they had lots of extra cars so a salesman could make sure he was driving a Ford when he called on FMC etc.

There's a song there....
R E S P E C T

I was at the Ducati Motorcycle plant in Milan in November, and they have a Ducati only parking lot right in front of the main door. All other bikes park about a half mile away, in back by the dumpsters.

But if you work at Ford, is a Jaguar, Landrover, or Volvo a "foreign car"?
How about my F150, which was made in Canada?
Or a PT Cruiser, made in Mexico?
And what about my Honda Element, made in Ohio?

Ford, GM, and Chrysler stock are owned by foreigners- so are they "foreign owned" companies?
the largest 2 or 3 Chrysler/Mercedes stockholders are Arab Princes.
I would not be surprised at all if Arabs owned big chunks of Ford and GM stock as well.
And American citizens are free to buy Honda, Toyota, and Nissan stocks on American stock exchanges. So if I buy Honda stock, and the Honda is made in the USA, with a higher domestic content than a Ford made in Mexico that was designed by Mazda, who exactly is driving the "foreign car"?

I've actually never owned an "american" car, but neither have I ever owned a car that wasn't made in theis country (going back to a 1987 Honda Accord, made in Ohio)

But I have no problem with Ford doing this whatsoever. If I owned a Wendys, the workers had damn well better not be wearing McDondalds uniforms. If you're going to meet with the CEO of a big customer you don't wear jeans.

If the genral public drives by the Ford lot and sees all Hondas there, are they really going to be inspired to purchase a Ford? The workers of a company represent the comany any time they can be identified as such.

I think the policy only applied to the Dearborn Truck Plant, which makes F-150's. It has to do with arriving to work at a Ford plant in a Ford, not the percent American parts or assembly.

"The Dearborn Truck Plant parking policy will allow vehicles made by non-U.S. Ford brands such as Mazda, Volvo and Land Rover"

Here's the article I remember reading:
http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/27/news/companies/ford_parkinglot/index.htm

So it has nothing to do with "foreign" or "domestic" and everything to do with company loyalty.
Which is fine, and is totally their right to do.

But its a whole different arguement than the old, "I aint driving no crappy import".

True. However, if I buy a vehicle assembled in US and built with 80% domestic parts, I am supporting American workers more than if I buy a vehicle assembled in US with 60% domestic parts, or a vehicle assembled elsewhere with less than 60% US parts...

Stephanie- do you know of a good website that actually lists the domestic content percentage of different cars?

I have heard that made in America Honda Accords are 97% domestic content, and most Toyotas made here are over 75%.
While many Dodges, Fords and Chevies are lower.

But I would really like to know what the real numbers are.

This is a private issue from a private company. For what the UAW parts hangers get; they should be lucky that the devils of Dearborn don't require that they drive Ford and wear pink underware with the blue oval on the rear. It is not a matter of public policy. It is not a matter of fairness. It is the private dealings and policy of a private company.

My employer requires me to wear a 'George Jetson' jacket. It looks goofey and it now has huge holes, grease spots, and it is threadbare. I have to keep it zipped up in hot weather, always. Managers must wear a tie when company comes. I do not need to wear a tie because I am a time clock puncher. I park my car in an assigned lot. I eat in the proper cafeteria. Inserting a stick of gum in my mouth, in the wrong place, can get me put out the door. I am paid to put up with the s**t of management. I make less than half of a UAW employee that is barely able to read the line ticket on the car.

I worked in a glass house and it was required we drink from glass. Plastic, paper, aluminum, or anything, but glass, got us put out the door. I worked in hell and they paid me like I was a god. I would have walked barefoot through hell or the hot end for what I was paid.

If my employer asks me for something that I feel is over the line; I will find a new job. I am like any other whore. The more you f*** me, the more you pay me. The guys in my shop know that I would, and probably have, spit in the devil's eye. I have chewed out my current plant manager with flourishes and panache'. He walked out of the machine shop and his face was whiter than his silk shirt. If he wanted me gone tomorrow; he would walk in and say 'get out'. I would pick up my hat and that fool would find out just what my job entails. I left my last job when the corporate head fired me on a jobsite. I put down my security pass and headed for the gate. I shook his hand and laughed like I was a lottery winner. I was told I was a goner the night before. I could not be fired until I finished the air handler installation, on the roof. Two years later I was offered that same job back. I was beat out of six weeks pay and they offered me double that, and more, to come back. I laughed and had the headhunter pay the food and bar tab. I have free will. I am not a slave. I am a whore. I look in the mirror and tell the truth. I put steel to the throat of my master every day.

End of rant...You may now continue with your regular programming. Hit the start button. Make some chips.
Charlie Biler
www.molineparts.com

a good website that actually lists the domestic content percentage of different cars
Ries, I'm working on this because I need to buy a car pretty soon. More soon I hope!

Charlie, I'm working on something for you too.

(Bet you guys can hardly wait!!
)

I had to go to a Crysler plant last summer to install a machine. They had three tiers of parking in their lot. Closest to the building was Chrysler product parking only (and handicapped, of course). Behind that was domestic branded parking, and all the way in the way very back was import car parking.

What I wonder is now, with so much interweaving of brands, what is what? If I was in a Mercedes could I park in "Chrysler" parking? If I was in a new GTO would I have to park in "Import"? How about if I was driving a 93 Eagle Talon, Plymoth Laser, or a similar year Mitsubishi Eclipse. They all rolled off of Chrysler lines in Illinois side by side by side in 1993. Which is the "domestic" and which is the "import"? My 2000 Camaro was made in St. Therese Canada. Different union, but still north American union labor. But made in another country with a Chevrolet badge on it. How about the Chevy Aveo? Bowtie grill with a Daewoo sticker inside the door....

Yes this question goes deeper than just where to park a car, it's a question of identity.

Just what the hell IS an American car anymore?

MitsTech,

Just what the hell IS an American car anymore?
Central Joisey ehh.... How bout you go up to Linden, find a bar in a working class neighborhood...well...that would be ANY bar in Linden... Ask one of the guys in there...

How bout you go up to Linden, find a bar in a working class neighborhood...well...that would be ANY bar in Linden... Ask one of the guys in there...
Exactly.

Although the Trailblazer/Envoy platform, the replacements for the S-10's that were made in GM's Linden plant, are still domestic (Ohio).

The Ford Ranger/Mazda B pickups that were made in the Edison plant have been moved to St.Paul MN.

So they havn't moved any operations outside of the US as a result of those closings, more than likely they either consolidated manufacturing operations, or simply moved them to a more modern and/or efficient plant.

All the brand loyalty in the world isn't going to help a company that produces crap. Americans, in my opinion, will not hesitate to spend money on a product if they know that it will last longer than the duration of the loan they took out to buy it.

Back