What's new
What's new

United Airlines buying electric flying taxis.

Mesa Airlines, true their business model, will house the taxi pilots in kennel-type accommodations. The work week will vary from 80, to 120 hours per week. Starting pay will be 50 pounds of pilot pellets per month.

Mesa Airlines, true their business model, will house the taxi pilots in kennel-type accommodations. The work week will vary from 80, to 120 hours per week. Starting pay will be 50 pounds of pilot pellets per month.

Ha-ha. Oh yeah the San Juan pilot mill. Worked for Larry.
("sealark" your "about me"...holy crap! Impressive! high speed-low drag)

They tried a similar scheme around San Franciso years ago. So long ago that most people don't remember, even. It was a Vietnam surplus helicopter, the dumb-looking one, pretty cheap and went to several convenient places around the area as well as two airports. Fun ride. Went broke after about a year.

Could have saved money & energy by using the (now defunct) lakeside airport.

Back in the day Chicago was still worthy of even a branch office, I actually preferred Orchard Road. The expansions - long time ago by now - then made it a pain in the arse for connections, so it went off the permissables list and my staff knew to route me some other way.

UnTIED could save even more they would just take Shitcargo, Ill off their route structure, outright and fly a safe distance clear of stray bullets in its airspace.

Just as I've blacklisted UnTIED meself for over 20 years.. having once been a "Platinum Emeritus" air-miler on the route-step clowns...before their third bankruptcy.. or mebbe the fourth?

They had passed the empty-pockets point where they had the resources to keep their aircraft safe to fly and started faking it.

Plane experiences engine failure and drops debris over Colorado, lands safely | Fox News

UnTIED means just what it sounds like. Eventually they will NOT "land safely".

If they are "buying" taxis? There is a scam involved! Somebody is in for a f*****g!

"Serial Bankruptcy" for-profit IS the main line of work for UnTIED, if you had somehow missed that sad history?

Pretending to be an air carrier is just the vehicle for the rip-offs, starting with f*****g their own pilots, cabin crew, mechanics, baggage handlers, passengers.. governments.. anything that resembles a Union, can be paid late or never..and whomever ELSE they can screw for a dime or a dollar.

"If only".. the bankruptcy biz hadn't "gone viral" amongst so many OTHER US carriers? I might even fly at least ONE US carrier that operates more heavily East of the Mississippi. Delta or Alaska are among the few I dare.

Fortunately, with IAD less than six road-miles from the house, decent light rail into AMTRAK, I very rarely HAVE to use a US carrier at all.

I think the intention is to eliminate using pilots at all as soon as possible.

Doubt that will happen anytime soon. The current aircraft fleet is designed/certified/ configured with humans in the cockpit.

No doubt the technology is available but it will be up to the airline industry to decide when and if they are willing and able to fly remote control aircraft with a couple hundred souls on board.

Let's see how driverless vehicles work out.

Yes, but the electric "drone" configuration lends itself very well to automated piloting, which I'm sure is a big motivator towards its adoption. Prove out one part of the tech at a time.

The systems to operate an aircraft without a crew on board has been in use for a number of years now with military drone aircraft. Most certainly battery and motor development is well on it's way.

The only roadblocks might possibly come from unions who represent thousands of flight crew and public acceptance of flying without a traditional crew up front.

UAL is betting a $Billion on the concept so I guess there is merit in the concept along with the fact that at least one Chinese company has been making demo flights.

I say we are well past the point where this is an ideal for the future.

Funny- I was building out some commercial spot years ago and there was some retired engineer holed up in one of the units with a machinist on a short leash building YET another 'flying car'.

This guy was crazy like his long line of predecessors- Pusher prop and folding wings.
He thought he was going move the world forward and swore us to secrecy after we had caught a glimpse of this thing.

He missed the key bits to make this concept work- like needing a runway lol..

So ASDND just went through a RS and is buying up.
I was holding the common for some time and dumped them after the split.

Word is Dubai has autonomous drones doing taxi service flying now.
Some big company in China is entering the market and will offer global routing and control on fleets of these things.

Archer is still private:

Home — Archer

This is ASDND.
I will probably pick up a few shares again in the off chance they go somewhere.

Fly Astro

tx0w6

Doubt that will happen anytime soon. The current aircraft fleet is designed/certified/ configured with humans in the cockpit.

No doubt the technology is available but it will be up to the airline industry to decide when and if they are willing and able to fly remote control aircraft with a couple hundred souls on board.

Let's see how driverless vehicles work out.

"Acceptance" comes only when the paying customer AKA "general public" becomes convinced that steady improvement of systems designed and built by mankind have surpassed the trustworthiness of humans themselves - steadily degraded, largely off volunteering to GOAL towards becoming progressively less-competent, over time.

As is the case, and all-too-obviously so. Read the funny papers and weep.

So far, however, damned few politicians are Air Transport rated "heavy" pilots.

Or even licensed wheelbarrow, snow-shovel, or toilet-brush operators.

Thank God, in her infinite mercy...

:(

Would you ride in this ?
It's been tested.
Note how the blades fold, and pix of unconscious passenger

DP-14 Multi Mission UAS - DPI UAV Systems

Might be a boon to paramedics everywhere.

But would YOU ride in it ?

Surely wish we had those in 'nam.

Lost a lot of "dustoff" krews trying to save their wounded brethren that too-often died anyway.

God love 'em. They didn't quit trying!

Put a team of five - no humans at-risk - onto the battle zone?

Four with stetchers. One with IR cameras and armed-up as a serious pee-bringer as mother Grizzly bear?

I'd vote for that!

Surely wish we had those in 'nam.

Lost a lot of "dustoff" krews trying to save their wounded brethren that too-often died anyway.

God love 'em. They didn't quit trying!

Put a team of five - no humans at-risk - onto the battle zone?

Four with stetchers. One with IR cameras and armed-up as a serious pee-bringer as mother Grizzly bear?

I'd vote for that!

Yes, in that sit-you-ation....However, business class operations might
be a wee bit different.

Would you ride in this ?
It's been tested.
Note how the blades fold, and pix of unconscious passenger

DP-14 Multi Mission UAS - DPI UAV Systems

Might be a boon to paramedics everywhere.

But would YOU ride in it ?

Highly doubt any human is going to be riding in it until the FAA cuts loose with proper approval.

"Multi Mission UAS UAV"....plop that down with "battery powered" and you hit all the nifty trendy buzz words in an attempt to get funding and some municipality to give you tax breaks.

They missed the mark...should have had a ground crew with mixed gender and race. That's really-really a big selling point right now. REALLY BIG at UAL and McDonalds.

Back