Login to Your Account
Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by standardparts View Post
    China and Taiwan---Only a matter of time before the U.S. is convinced it's best interests align with China and not Taiwan. A political decision that will happen sooner than later. Would it make that much difference for Taiwanese business interests?
    Difficult to predict the future But my guess would be that one day they end up like Hong Kong, fairly independent unless they insist on rocking the boat.

I have never understood this squawking about Taiwan. It was never democratic, they had their first election in 1996, fifty years after running away in the middle of the night with their tail between their legs - and stealing the national treasury along the way.

Wuold the US put up with Texas seceding ? Or Florida ? I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

As far as tariifs go ...Maybe Biden uses the tariffs to give an impression of get tough with China.
    That would be my first thought, along with the fact that it is a tax on the lower and middle classes which he doesn't take the blame for. Funny how the anti-tax Republicans are so happy with this one ... the tariffs haven't done doodly to Chinese exports, but they killed US exports and made it much harder for small US companies to do business in China. But nobody cares about US exporters because their minds are full of emotional swill. Simple answers for simple minds ... except the simple answers don't usually work. But it makes y'all happy at least.

So basically China long game...U.S. every 4 years a new plan mostly the same as the old plan with a new slogan. End result: China slowly but surely takes the lead ending at the finish line while the U.S. wobbles out on the track simply hoping for second or third place.
    Yup. But the underlying flaw as I see it with all the US plans is, Washington wants to control the world. But the people in Washington are not skillful enough to control the world. They are a bunch of fuckups who turn everything they touch to shit. And the US is living in the past. You are convinced you are still the competent, can-do saviors of the world when in fact you can't even build a bridge that doesn't fall apart. US cities are giant piles of rundown garbage and literal garbage, with no public transportation and no bathrooms. Homeless people with mental problems roam the landscape. People get murdered for $5 on a regular basis. You are all peons to the banks, credit card companies, and google but you piss away trillions "saving the world for freedom and democracy" - in a place where your own two choices for leadershiip are tweedledee and tweedledum. Then you hate the poor for being poor, in a place where the wealthy blood-suckers own 98% of everything and fuck everyone under them for more more more, always more. Black people get shot in the back for shoplifting a cigar, while Jamie Dimon and Lloyd Blankfein get bonuses for stealing trillions in a giant con game. You keep babbling "China China China" or "Russia Russia Russia" while your own house is a zoo.

In short, you're crazy, and your values are all fucked up. Yes, over time China will "win" .... but that's all because they aren't competing. They are just doing what will improve the lives of their own people, while you idiots piss away everything you have on hating each other.

2. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Difficult to predict the future But my guess would be that one day they end up like Hong Kong, fairly independent unless they insist on rocking the boat.

I have never understood this squawking about Taiwan. It was never democratic, they had their first election in 1996, fifty years after running away in the middle of the night with their tail between their legs - and stealing the national treasury along the way.

Wuold the US put up with Texas seceding ? Or Florida ? I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

That would be my first thought, along with the fact that it is a tax on the lower and middle classes which he doesn't take the blame for. Funny how the anti-tax Republicans are so happy with this one ... the tariffs haven't done doodly to Chinese exports, but they killed US exports and made it much harder for small US companies to do business in China. But nobody cares about US exporters because their minds are full of emotional swill. Simple answers for simple minds ... except the simple answers don't usually work. But it makes y'all happy at least.

Yup. But the underlying flaw as I see it with all the US plans is, Washington wants to control the world. But the people in Washington are not skillful enough to control the world. They are a bunch of fuckups who turn everything they touch to shit. And the US is living in the past. You are convinced you are still the competent, can-do saviors of the world when in fact you can't even build a bridge that doesn't fall apart. US cities are giant piles of rundown garbage and literal garbage, with no public transportation and no bathrooms. Homeless people with mental problems roam the landscape. People get murdered for $5 on a regular basis. You are all peons to the banks, credit card companies, and google but you piss away trillions "saving the world for freedom and democracy" - in a place where your own two choices for leadershiip are tweedledee and tweedledum. Then you hate the poor for being poor, in a place where the wealthy blood-suckers own 98% of everything and fuck everyone under them for more more more, always more. Black people get shot in the back for shoplifting a cigar, while Jamie Dimon and Lloyd Blankfein get bonuses for stealing trillions in a giant con game. You keep babbling "China China China" or "Russia Russia Russia" while your own house is a zoo.

In short, you're crazy, and your values are all fucked up. Yes, over time China will "win" .... but that's all because they aren't competing. They are just doing what will improve the lives of their own people, while you idiots piss away everything you have on hating each other.
    “ That would be my first thought, along with the fact that it is a tax on the lower and middle classes which he doesn't take the blame for. ”

No one in America is oppressed by tariffs. Give me systematic examples where even the poor have been adversely effected. Heck there probably is some kinds of problems yet the tariffs are not necessarily effecting the little guy who is in no way in the market for significant purchases of say machine tools, precision measurement, and even tooling to name only three things.

The kinds of things which may have gone up as was predicted here that the price increases would be notable and most likely extreme. Regardless China did not have to counter tariff at all and those increases did not even have the predicted impact.

Y’all should be eating your crow but there is so much of it that you could not eat it all scarcely in a lifetime. The subject has been beaten to death and the fact Biden has not lifted them yet seems out of character to how he generally acts and that is to make larger problems with whatever he messes with.

Not everything but most. It even goes against his past record as the agenda he must follow was not designed by him. He follows it just like the handlers wish. They even control what he says and when even when he pretends he is staying against orders to answer questions. I thought that was textbook Biden.

I really have always liked the guy. He may just start doing a lot better and be the best president we have had if he really has the right stuff. He can change course. That should get many riled up against him and then they can attack him in the same toxic manner as is their habit.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by standardparts View Post
    Used to believe most with high post counts such as "gustafson" were sources of invaluable technical resources. With a few exceptions it's painfully obvious many like gus and Biden are slowly but surely succumbing to advancing mental decline. Tired and aged out.

But...Yes, I don't know shit which hardly matters in this part of PM anyway because it's all subjective and piles up clicks (traffic/visitors) which is pretty much all that matters to the site owner selling advertising and working the affiliate game.

The "real good shit" on PM comes from the ever decreasing posters who actually make chips to make money and those obviously are active on other platforms. I'd even bet some are conservatives! Gasp!
    Those numbers of true professionals even are growing and several actually will express views in these kinds of discussions. They will not spend very much time on it though because they are busy being pros. Too they actually prioritize helping others here. Just take note of it there is a consistent crew of these who explain well helpful direction and advice.

Look at the traffic and draw reasonable conclusions about the health of the bottom line. Too if things become to shocking and so on it is evaluated and there are actions taken and they are effective and consistent.

Those kinds of wise actions are understood by very key trusted and balanced people. Such decision makes are not swayed by hype nor pressure as they understand well how to manage things fairly. Some may project what they think is the focus of the powers that be yet unless you know them well enough to say Evals are just educated guesses.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    This was like two years ago- what's up.
    Not paying attention at the time?

NAM was a united voice and said in clear terms the policy was a mistake and damaging the sector.

I don't have to provide documentation of something the whole world saw in real time.
    Maybe the admin was right and NAM wrong- it usually takes time to shake out and the real effects known.
    But that is what happened- I was there.
    Weren't you?

This is not a popularity contest - administrations create policy and those polices have effects which are broadly felt and discussed.
    Biden is keeping some of the tariffs- why I don't know as I have not been following the policy debate but he must feel they either had merit when initiated, do now or must be held to for some reason.

I couldn't say.
    NAM has been supportive of the Exodus of American manufacturing. Just read their history they never fought it they facilitated it.

FYI; “ One of the main reasons why the United States became the dominant manufacturing country in the world was that for over 150 years, our government protected and fostered the growth of American industry through tariffs. The first tariff law passed by the Congress, was the Tariff of 1789. The purpose was to generate revenue to fund the federal government, pay down the debt of the government, and also act as a protective barrier for domestic industries from imports from England and France in particular.”

Sick of talking about it really.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Sick of talking about it really.
    You brought it up

To every discussion, turn turn turn, there is a season ... a time to talk, and a time to run away ... Usually the time to run away turns out to be when you are losing ...

The first tariff law passed by the Congress, was the Tariff of 1789.
    Exactly ! "Passed by Congress" ... the Constitution specifically assigns responsibility for regulating trade to Congress. Not the executive branch. Not the judicial. Congress.

Since the Constitution is the supreme law of the land the enabling legislation cited by Mr Trump is as valid as a pile of dogshit in the driveway. His tariffs are illegal. They only stand because Congress and the Supreme Court have the balls of a gnat and the intelligence of a flea and the courage of a fucking mouse. All shit. Worthless shit, not even good for fertilizing the flowers. There is no one in the government worth a nickel.

No one in America is oppressed by tariffs. Give me systematic examples where even the poor have been adversely effected.
    I can't say it's "oppression" exactly but for just one feature, it cost every taxpaying citizen (that'd be you, True) about $80 just to pay off the soybean farmers. There are many analyses of the results of the tariffs. Almost all are negative. Even wikipedia has a decent exposition on the subject. Most I've seen calculate it cost the average person $800 to $1000 a year.

They tend to be economic analyses, but just as bad is the damage they have done to US credibility. No one in any country wants to invest into something unreliable. When any old orange-haired dog turd can flush your 500 million $$ investment down the toilet at a snap of his fingers, you will think twice about undertaking any serious relationshsip with the US. Then think again, then most likely not do it. Trade with China instead, it's reliable. They'll squeeze you for sure, but they won't bankrupt you on a whim.

That's the real effect of the Trump tariffs. He displayed the US dishonesty, unreliability, and disdain for law for all to see on a worldwide scale. It will be a while before that goes away.

If ever.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You brought it up

To every discussion, turn turn turn, there is a season ... a time to talk, and a time to run away ... Usually the time to run away turns out to be when you are losing ...

Exactly ! "Passed by Congress" ... the Constitution specifically assigns responsibility for regulating trade to Congress. Not the executive branch. Not the judicial. Congress.

Since the Constitution is the supreme law of the land the enabling legislation cited by Mr Trump is as valid as a pile of dogshit in the driveway. His tariffs are illegal. They only stand because Congress and the Supreme Court have the balls of a gnat and the intelligence of a flea and the courage of a fucking mouse. All shit. Worthless shit, not even good for fertilizing the flowers. There is no one in the government worth a nickel.

I can't say it's "oppression" exactly but for just one feature, it cost every taxpaying citizen (that'd be you, True) about $80 just to pay off the soybean farmers. There are many analyses of the results of the tariffs. Almost all are negative. Even wikipedia has a decent exposition on the subject. Most I've seen calculate it cost the average person $800 to $1000 a year.

They tend to be economic analyses, but just as bad is the damage they have done to US credibility. No one in any country wants to invest into something unreliable. When any old orange-haired dog turd can flush your 500 million $$ investment down the toilet at a snap of his fingers, you will think twice about undertaking any serious relationshsip with the US. Then think again, then most likely not do it. Trade with China instead, it's reliable. They'll squeeze you for sure, but they won't bankrupt you on a whim.

That's the real effect of the Trump tariffs. He displayed the US dishonesty, unreliability, and disdain for law for all to see on a worldwide scale. It will be a while before that goes away.

If ever.
    “ You brought it up” where did I start that? I apologize if I did that.
    It is a recurring theme here though and on going EG.

Don’t blame it on me since you want to drop a bomb of propaganda on that subject.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

where did I start that? I apologize if I did that.
    Short-term memory loss, eh ? I have that sometimes ...

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning
    No one in America is oppressed by tariffs. Give me systematic examples where even the poor have been adversely effected.

Y’all should be eating your crow but there is so much of it that you could not eat it all scarcely in a lifetime.
    I'm not the collective 'everybody' so I can't give personal examples as proof. But according to calculations from most places that figure this stuff, it cost the average person up to a thousand dollars a year. Since you don't feel that's an adverse effect, wouldja mind passing a grand over to me ? I could have a pretty nice dinner on that.

Don’t blame it on me since you want to drop a bomb of propaganda on that subject.
    Propaganda ? It's arithmetic. Feel free to refute.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The oldest government building in California is the customs house in Monterey. Built around 1827 to collect tariffs on incoming ships.
    bill D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

China has no real claim to Taiwan. It has been independent of mainland China for thousands of years. China did invade to stamp out pirates but left hundreds of years ago. The USA has just as much, and more, claim to Cuba or northern Mexico.
    Bill D

11. Likes D.Minnich liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

T'uther way round,actually....Mexico has a better claim to the US of A.

13. Likes Mark Rand, Bobw, Big B liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Short-term memory loss, eh ? I have that sometimes ...

I'm not the collective 'everybody' so I can't give personal examples as proof. But according to calculations from most places that figure this stuff, it cost the average person up to a thousand dollars a year. Since you don't feel that's an adverse effect, wouldja mind passing a grand over to me ? I could have a pretty nice dinner on that.

Propaganda ? It's arithmetic. Feel free to refute.
    Ok so you mentioned this “ But according to calculations from most places that figure this stuff, it cost the average person up to a thousand dollars a year.” I would like to know where I might look that claim over after all a dollar amount is given.

Seriously I have found nothing so specific as the dollar amount you mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ,we, bought a Bolt, I like it about 4 times as much as thought I was going to.
    My wife wanted this car in our stable, so far its a blast.
    nice hole shot it has.
    Gw

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    T'uther way round,actually....Mexico has a better claim to the US of A.
    Right and The UK still has a better claim on Australia than anyone. As far as the US you may want to add Spain,France,and also England.

Lol I often what kind of Aboriginal cast a spell over you? Noting your outlook on things at least I understand why they would choose to.

If the UK had complete control of OZ I am sure at least the prisons would be more state of the art.

Too China would not have been begged in with the expectation great prosperity and statehood?

Seems the Chinese expectations of their partnership with Australia have been disappointed. Now there seems to be bad blood. Blighty would never have allowed such a thing.

Country
    AFGHANISTAN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How do you think US Steel is going to invest these funds if they're not going to do it in Pittsburgh and how will it really be better for the environment? Judging by their actions I bet that the 100+million of equipment in storage probably will be deployed somewhere other then here but who knows.

18. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Regarding the post from "EG"
    --"Wuold the US put up with Texas seceding ? Or Florida ?"---Seceding, probably not. But we will see many states legislating in their own interest which in many cases will counter or ignore Federal law. Colorado has some sanctuary immigrant rights laws proposed that oppose Federal law in some areas. Other states will do the same with firearm laws.

--"US cities are giant piles of rundown garbage and literal garbage, with no public transportation and no bathrooms. Homeless people with mental problems roam the landscape. People get murdered for $5 on a regular basis." Can't argue with that. Very accurate assessment of cities run by Democrats for decades.

--Reality regarding China is that Covid originated in China which set back the economies of many countries, and their record on civil rights appears to be pretty dismal. China is not hampered in all the ways that other countries are when it comes to dealing with citizens complaining or not complying. So they have a bit of an advantage in that regard.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now you are talking. Where are you going? I hope it is nice.
    Went down to the Ohio Valley with friends. I have a cabin down there between Seneca Lake and Piedmont...but we fished neither... hit all the small lakes and reservoirs and a private pond. I ended up catching 8 bass including a nice 3.25 pounder on a booyah buzzbait...nice blowup.

21. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by woodchuckNJ View Post
    Hannity said the other day in response to Liz Chenney being ousted that all these friends of Liz were convicted of the crimes by dems, and she is supporting dems by not pushing the big lie.
    She should push the big lie because they put her friend scooter libby in jail... none of the people that wound up being charged should have been.

My response is that they should have been, trumps gang should be, and Liz is being very honest about things. The rest... F them.. very un-american to believe that they are special cases and should have free reign to commit whatever crimes... Yea, many dems same thing, but Hannity pushed forward a lot of shit..

Whenever I watch them to see where they are at, I am at odds with 99% of it. It's all lies that they twist...
    if they want to base it on fact, I'll listen, but they use one lie to support another lie...

As far as trumps pardons... he gave out pardons to some of the worst. including a woman who trafficked in drugs..
    There were people more aggrieved by the system that he could have pardoned...

if I am not making sense, sorry, didn't sleep much traveled to my son's and my dog and his were up late, and early rolling around...

Never thought I would see the day when the left would be glued to Hannity's show and be defending a Cheney.

23. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    You talk about me degrading our country. Your stupidity astounds me sometimes. Have you ever given any thought to what make America great again means? It means that America isn't great. Why would anyone want to make something great that is already great. You knuckleheads are so brainwashed in the cult that you can't even make sense of that.
    Starts the post by acting insulted that anyone would say he bashes the Country...then proceeds to bash the country...you cant make this stuff up

25. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by woodchuckNJ View Post
    no, it meant make it what it used to be.

Rollback everything back to the 50s.
    Well obviously you never watched any of the 2015 Trump rally's or heard any of his speeches. It was all about stopping the other country's from taking complete advantage of idiots running the U.S. that they had zero respect for and to start bringing jobs back to America that were leaving in droves.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    I always felt that it meant "blacks to the back of the bus".
    Nomination for moronic post of the yea...decade