USA Government Shutdown - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 337
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Geilenkirchen, Germany
    Posts
    2,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1294
    Likes (Received)
    1066

    Default

    Actually, I'm kinda hoping for the resurrection of Senator Joe McCarthy. He would sort this shit out!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    12,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    50
    Likes (Received)
    5499

    Default

    In the meantime actual borders security is being hurt.
    Coast Guard TSA and border security people are working for free or being furloughed.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Modesto, CA USA
    Posts
    6,258
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    984

    Default

    But Trump will probably veto a bill with back pay and who says the house will pass a budget with back pay anyway? This is a meaningless promise just like Trumps promise that Mexico will pay for it all.
    Bill D

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    12,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    50
    Likes (Received)
    5499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    But Trump will probably veto a bill with back pay and who says the house will pass a budget with back pay anyway? This is a meaningless promise just like Trumps promise that Mexico will pay for it all.
    Bill D
    Already passed with a veto proof margin.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2663
    Likes (Received)
    338

    Default

    I know there are differences with Federal. Many for example have the loss of pay yet many would be paid when the budget is resolved. If a company must idle for a time then the workers do not draw checks if they do not work for it. Shop owners know very well what thier responsibilities are.

    It is different as as far as I can tell.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sacramento County, California
    Posts
    3,630
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2110
    Likes (Received)
    1114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    But Trump will probably veto a bill with back pay and who says the house will pass a budget with back pay anyway? This is a meaningless promise just like Trumps promise that Mexico will pay for it all.
    Bill D
    The labor codes, both state and federal requite that employers pay employees for all work performed. President Trump would not have the power to prevent payment of back pay, even if he wanted to.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Modesto, CA USA
    Posts
    6,258
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    The labor codes, both state and federal requite that employers pay employees for all work performed. President Trump would not have the power to prevent payment of back pay, even if he wanted to.
    But the ones told to stay home and not work have no such guarantee.
    I think he may soon have trouble bringing home the troops from the middle east. They have to pay for fuel and many will not take IOU's from a government run by a known con man who does not pay his bills.
    What does the navy do when they can no longer pay for food overseas? Go home on nuclear power? Israel's air force has had to pay in physical cash for jet fuel, no checks accepted.
    Bill D.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Geilenkirchen, Germany
    Posts
    2,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1294
    Likes (Received)
    1066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    But the ones told to stay home and not work have no such guarantee.
    I think he may soon have trouble bringing home the troops from the middle east. They have to pay for fuel and many will not take IOU's from a government run by a known con man who does not pay his bills.
    What does the navy do when they can no longer pay for food overseas? Go home on nuclear power? Israel's air force has had to pay in physical cash for jet fuel, no checks accepted.
    Bill D.
    The military is already funded. No issues. You're not up to date.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    12,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    50
    Likes (Received)
    5499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve-l View Post
    The military is already funded. No issues. You're not up to date.
    Coast guard is un funded right now.
    Same with a bunch of DOD contractors.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunny South West Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,314
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    9338
    Likes (Received)
    2712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Coast guard is un funded right now.
    Same with a bunch of DOD contractors.
    Coast Guard is not DOD, they are DHS, that's why they're unfunded currently.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    12,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    50
    Likes (Received)
    5499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Coast Guard is not DOD, they are DHS, that's why they're unfunded currently.
    I know...
    That said, leaving our coastal enforcement and rescue force swinging in the breeze is...unfortunate.

    Thousands of lives a year are saved by these people, and they interdict drugs, human traffic and...the horror, immigrants.

    Let’s not forget their support and defense of our fishing industry and fisherman too.

    Nope, trump needs his wall for his base and ego.

  12. Likes TDegenhart liked this post
  13. #32
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2663
    Likes (Received)
    338

    Default

    Yes the Coast Guard suffers and it is just not right. They are not under DOD yet they could be under the right set of circumstances. They do pack a lot more firepower than Ice and most likely intercept a lot more drugs and illegal smuggling.

  14. #33
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2663
    Likes (Received)
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    I know...
    That said, leaving our coastal enforcement and rescue force swinging in the breeze is...unfortunate.

    Thousands of lives a year are saved by these people, and they interdict drugs, human traffic and...the horror, immigrants.

    Let’s not forget their support and defense of our fishing industry and fisherman too.

    Nope, trump needs his wall for his base and ego.
    Yes the Coast Guard are suffering. That the barrier and better border security is only wanted by Trumps base is not the case more than his base wants improvement yet yes they may not want a lot of barriers and other measures. Sure there needs to be some working together to pull it off. If it is just Trump and his ego I will say with the unwillingness of the House Democrats to pressure movement forward has been for them to just sit down and block the path forward.

    considering what positive negotiation they could be putting out through the media that both sides are basically doing the same thing. It is time to equal the pressure by admitting both sides are now equally responsible to press solutions. The Democrats buy increasing blame each day and of course Republicans are in the spotlight too. Both will decline in support from the public.

  15. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    12,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    50
    Likes (Received)
    5499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    Yes the Coast Guard are suffering. That the barrier and better border security is only wanted by Trumps base is not the case more than his base wants improvement yet yes they may not want a lot of barriers and other measures. Sure there needs to be some working together to pull it off. If it is just Trump and his ego I will say with the unwillingness of the House Democrats to pressure movement forward has been for them to just sit down and block the path forward.

    considering what positive negotiation they could be putting out through the media that both sides are basically doing the same thing. It is time to equal the pressure by admitting both sides are now equally responsible to press solutions. The Democrats buy increasing blame each day and of course Republicans are in the spotlight too. Both will decline in support from the public.
    All thathad to happen was for McConnell to put forth the bipartisan bill.
    It would have passed with veto proof majority and included money for improved security.
    Or trump could start talking about comprehensive reform.
    Sorry, but caving in to a toddler in a tantrum is just a bad call.

    He said he’d own the shut down, it’s all his.

    The only people blaming the democrats are the trump supporters.
    The same for people wanting “the wall”.

  16. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Modesto, CA USA
    Posts
    6,258
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    984

    Default

    I have heard nothing that trump is offering. He is saying give me all the money I ask for or else. A negotiation is we give some you give some. trump is not working that way it is his way or the highway.
    He has always negotiated with people who need to make a deal so they can salvage some money trump is offering. he does not understand that they do not have to offer him anything for free.
    Bill D.

  17. Likes Bobw liked this post
  18. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    12,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    50
    Likes (Received)
    5499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I have heard nothing that trump is offering. He is saying give me all the money I ask for or else. A negotiation is we give some you give some. trump is not working that way it is his way or the highway.
    He has always negotiated with people who need to make a deal so they can salvage some money trump is offering. he does not understand that they do not have to offer him anything for free.
    Bill D.
    You are missing a point.
    He’s a vandal too.

    And he’s not offering anything because he’s used to being surrounded by supplicants.

  19. #37
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2663
    Likes (Received)
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    All thathad to happen was for McConnell to put forth the bipartisan bill.
    It would have passed with veto proof majority and included money for improved security.
    Or trump could start talking about comprehensive reform.
    Sorry, but caving in to a toddler in a tantrum is just a bad call.

    He said he’d own the shut down, it’s all his.

    The only people blaming the democrats are the trump supporters.
    The same for people wanting “the wall”.
    It does not help the process considering the continuing criticism of the pres though. No the blame is not only from the Repubs. Anger is growing and will according to human nature not be limited to Trump it is growing from non Trump voters.

    Time will tell conclusively as it would be important to understand the kind of accountability there should be with both sides. Neither are following what the people want they are both posturing.

  20. #38
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2663
    Likes (Received)
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I have heard nothing that trump is offering. He is saying give me all the money I ask for or else. A negotiation is we give some you give some. trump is not working that way it is his way or the highway.
    He has always negotiated with people who need to make a deal so they can salvage some money trump is offering. he does not understand that they do not have to offer him anything for free.
    Bill D.
    I agree yet he has indicated flexibility somewhat. Each group is not showing many cards.

  21. #39
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2663
    Likes (Received)
    338

    Default

    Democrats are losing ground here name calling entrenches the man. How he fights things out is well documented.

  22. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    12,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    50
    Likes (Received)
    5499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    Democrats are losing ground here name calling entrenches the man. How he fights things out is well documented.
    Yep.
    He fucks his employees.
    Like playing chess with a pigeon.

    Except this time it’s our nation and it’s citizens.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
2