What's new
What's new

Vauxhall (General Motors) sheds 1000 jobs

Croz

Aluminum
And another!
You may remember my previous posts about Peugeot and TVR car plants closing here in the UK, well Vauxhall today announced the laying off of 1000 of its workers at their Ellesmere port plant.
They (Vauxhall management) say they are going away from 3 shift working to 2 shift working in order to remain competetive. Cynics like Moi believe that they may need to cut costs but with the slacker labour protection laws and redundancy payments that the UK has its easier to sack workers here than in France, Germany, Spain.
The Government says its in talks with management to help and preserve the plants future, Oh yeah!! a bit like the help they gave MG Rover to become Chinese owned perchance?
Any how gotta go, got a house to build! (F*%$ing glad I got out of engineering)
Croz

Apparently jobs had to go in the UK, Germany, or Belgium. Big corporations aren't renowned for giving a toss about redundant workers, but in this case the head of GM Europe is quoted as saying that it would be easier for British workers to find new jobs than those in Germany or Belgium. Yeah, right, strategic decisions are now based on concern about the redundant workers' future prospects? I think not.

Back