What's new
What's new

Wal-Mart- Who are they kidding?

Wal-Mart set to hold "made-in-America" meeting - Yahoo! Finance

So after years of hostile purchasing, Wal-Mart now wants more of it's products made in America! I wonder if Wal-Mart is seeing something happening globally that very few others are able to?
Pure speculation but, I wonder if India's financial collapse and China's Money scam has anything to do with this?

What say you?

Proturn

I'd put it in the same category as those companies that think a "green" image is good for business. When push comes to shove the only thing that counts is profits for companies and low prices for buyers.

It's only a question of how many jump on the "propaganda BS waggon" and believe companies and especially the large ones, really care. When's the last time your bank asked if they could help you even if they didn't make money on the offer? :D If your father-in-law owns a bank that doesn't count ;)

Gordon

Walmart learned long ago that their customers would purchase the lower priced item, no matter where it was made. If they are seeking suppliers in the US, it means that lower prices are not as available off-shore as in the past. Regards, Clark

A somewhat more positive way to look at this is that even cheapskate customers are getting a little smarter; realizing that buying one reliable appliance/tool/etc. often beats going through a succession of crappy ones. In addition, as Clark says, Chinese prices and transportation costs are rising and one can add in the "Made in USA" branding effects.

A somewhat more positive way to look at this is that even cheapskate customers are getting a little smarter; realizing that buying one reliable appliance/tool/etc. often beats going through a succession of crappy ones. In addition, as Clark says, Chinese prices and transportation costs are rising and one can add in the "Made in USA" branding effects.

Unfortunately in many categories "crappy" is the only option.

I am hopeful that we may be be seeing a change of culture in America where the average consumer would rather pay a higher price for a better quality product. I believe people have grown tired of buying the cheapest version of an item only to be forced to replace it with a better quality, more expensive product a short time later.

If you combine that with all the bad publicity Chinese and other overseas made products have earned over the past few years (lead in toys, factory fires, horrible working conditions, pollution, etc.,etc.) with the growing price of fuel (which directly affects the shipping market) it sets in place the foundation for a re-emergence of American manufacturing.

We can only hope!!

Regards
Robbie

Walmart is motivated by one thing... MONEY and they are marketing geniuses when it comes to getting lemmings to go over the cliff. If it means marketing "Made in the USA" will generate them more money, they will be the first ones in line.

Personally I research anything I buy to see if I can get one from a company made in the USA. Just last week I wanted to buy a manual can opener. All the openers in a major discount store were foreign made. I went online and found the one listed below for $10.49 INCLUDINNG shipping. It was all metal compared to the plastic ones they were selling in the store.

EZ DUZ IT Deluxe Manual CAN Opener With RED Grips Made IN USA | eBay

I am not associated with any of these stores or products. Just a wary consumer.

When in Texas I went into a Wallmart a few times for the first time in my life :) We don't have them here.

First time bought a cheap mobile phone and a prepaid card to get cheap local calls without any problems or exhorbiant bills. Gave it away before returning to Denmark. Another time bought a pair of shoes as my feet were hurting with the ones I had on at the time.We also bought umpten packets of Jello as, believe it or not, you can't buy that in Denmark. Don't know many Danes that like it so that could be why. Me? I love it :D

Truth be told I've didn't have a problem with Wallmart (friendly service - was that Texas or is that normal for Walmart? ;)) and was more than happy with everything I bought.

Gordon

Somewhat related......when grocery shopping I have a few products I buy that I only want a specific brand....I prefer the flavor of that brand. However there are other products that I purchase the generic "store brand" , like flour, sugar, pasta etc....where I quite honestly do not notice a difference other than price, and I have always been under the impression that those products usually come off the same line, at the same factory as the name brand product. Just different packaging and advertising. The other day after pouring a glass of apple juice.....something caught my eye on the bottle.....it said made from products originating in China??????? huh????? WTF....They killed a bunch of pets because they put junk in the pet food they made.....now we give em a crack at people too???? How in the world is it more cost effective to ship food from across the sea to be processed here???? Anyhow......I always check to see where a product is manufactured....and I have a mantal list I go through to help me decide which one to buy. And now I need to do that with food too.......its a mad mad mad mad world.

I am hopeful that we may be be seeing a change of culture in America where the average consumer would rather pay a higher price for a better quality product. I believe people have grown tired of buying the cheapest version of an item only to be forced to replace it with a better quality, more expensive product a short time later.

If you combine that with all the bad publicity Chinese and other overseas made products have earned over the past few years (lead in toys, factory fires, horrible working conditions, pollution, etc.,etc.) with the growing price of fuel (which directly affects the shipping market) it sets in place the foundation for a re-emergence of American manufacturing.

We can only hope!!

Regards
Robbie

The big question is more - Can the USA produce (for export) high quality items at competitive prices? Export is where the money is - not selling domestically.

300 million aren't many compared to the world population. In Europe we're 700 million and I can't count fast enough to keep track of India.

Gordon

Personally, I applaud the balls of whomever writes Wal Mart's healthcare and HR policies; decides benefits and stuff. Seriously, it's a crime the way they handle their employees; Wal Mart policy is to shore up their shitty healthcare by telling employees (that make very little money) to "just go to the ER" if they get sick. That's right, John Q. Effing Taxpayer is footing a good part of Wal Mart's healthcare bill.

Don't even get me started on the pressure to work off the clock, food-stamp pushing, and Wal Mart wage vouchers some stores are trying to push...

Daily Kos: Walmart: America's real 'Welfare Queen'

I believe we could be able to in the future, however I don't think we can right now, we HAVE to put the infrastructure for the raw material production back in place first. Too many shuttered steel mills and such have crippled that. It's not really "American Made" if the steel that went into making it was imported from China. Also I think technology and automation will eventually replace good old fashioned cheap labor.

I've Actually started noticing some strange things here in Australia too,like yesterday for instance at a local tool store I noticed some Crescent brand pliers with Made in Australia marked on them which I think is only quite recent, so maybe companies are starting to wake up and manufacturing locally again,even just for the brand image.I also remember my cousin's wife mentioning a few years ago (she is in logistics) that some companies were moving away from China due to workers rights catching on there.

I think technology and automation will eventually replace good old fashioned cheap labor.

That day and age is already here. The only way to competently machine large OEM production runs is through automation. Machines and robots don't complain about long work days, they don't have to pick kids up from daycare or call in sick every other Monday and Friday. A "cheap" fanuc robot on a turning center will set a company back about $45k plus gaging and other accessories. That robot in the right scenario outperforms humans every hours that it runs. The Robot doesn't have to text message someone, read Facebook post's or sit in the shitter for 20 minutes doing all three. I'm a firm believer that if you are in manufacturing for the long haul, you must embrace automation at some level.

Proturn

That day and age is already here. The only way to competently machine large OEM production runs is through automation. Machines and robots don't complain about long work days, they don't have to pick kids up from daycare or call in sick every other Monday and Friday. A "cheap" fanuc robot on a turning center will set a company back about $45k plus gaging and other accessories. That robot in the right scenario outperforms humans every hours that it runs. The Robot doesn't have to text message someone, read Facebook post's or sit in the shitter for 20 minutes doing all three. I'm a firm believer that if you are in manufacturing for the long haul, you must embrace automation at some level.

Proturn

I agree 100%! Just wait until that sort of technology catches up with the garment industry. Those overseas sweatshops will be few and far between and good rid-dens.

I kinda remember something about how Henry Ford had realized at some point that if his workers earned a half decent wage, they would in turn be able to buy his products.

I wonder how that works out with robots and automation.

Back