What's new
What's new

What IS an American Car?

railfancwb

Stainless
Interesting discussion on this subject in a recent USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-03-22-american-usat_N.htm

Chrysler is still considered one of the American "Big Three" but it has been owned by Mercedes for several years now...so is it really?

The article comments that "...the Kentucky-built Camry, but buying a Toyota ships the profit to Japan." Does this translate into Chrysler shipping its losses to Germany?

Charles

Heard the news on NPR that Mercedes is in talks to jettison Chrysler.
An American car to me = 80% of the Car & components and especially the powertrain is built here.

For a humourous look at a small niche product, the Freightliner (Mercedes) Unimog.
This truck is 99% Mercedes built in Germany.Does D.C. really think slapping a Freightliner badge on it changes US opinion.

The market is Brush fire departments Municipalities, Utility companies,Snow removal and wealthy folks who want the ultimate 4x4 pickup.Nice truck but list price before various accessories is north of 100grand.Few years back it was like 85grand starting price.

What does it matter who gets the profits?Is it gona make a difference whether Japanese or multi zillionaire American internationalist owners get it.I ain't buying a product just so American big wigs get the profit instead of Japanese big wigs.What makes a difference is the location of the vast majority of employees.

before I buy things - like Chainsaws... I look on the internet where they are built, how they stand up, and value over time.

things are not as one might think. German and Japanese companies design, manufacture, and sell here!! gets my vote for US made - international quality!!!

--jr

What is an American Car? It is something you can not buy anymore. Honda and Toyota are more American than the 'American' companies.

A Chinese engine, Japanese tranny, Mexican axle, and mostly third world parts are what we call todays Chevy.
My neighbor's Ford is made in Mexico with no major part from the USA.
I am not sure, but Chrysler appears to be a truly international car, if you exclude north America. My workmate Hank just loves the Chinese ball joints and Singapore tranny on his Dodge. Every thirty thousand miles he just jacks up the Mexican radiator cap and switches trucks.

Well My Landie is built in England but is owned by Ford with a Buick Design V8 and Dana design rear axle

[ 04-05-2007, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Spud ]

What is an American car? Good question. I follow NASCAR closely and the subject came up this year as the 1st year Toyoda has cars racing in "The Great American Sport" and all the hoop law about how NASCAR could allow a foreign car into it. Darrel Waltrip in defense of his brother Micheal pointed out that the Chevy Monte Carlo, Chevy Impala, Dodge Charger are all made in Canada. The Ford Fusion is made in Mexico and the Toyoda Camry is the only car racing that is made in the US.

Here is one, a bit long in the tooth now. It was the cheapest Packard you could buy in 1930. Same money as six new Fords :D

It looked lots better after I trashed those silly looking whitewalls.

03.jpg

These are the folks that first used the hypoid gear set in a drive axle.

John

Back