What does China-based CNC Machining Shop meant to you guys? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Leonh View Post
    In the past, manufacturing in China mostly meant cheap. In the old days, both manufacturers here and their global customers were thinking about how to maximize their profits, so quality was not their first priority. But now many Chinese CNC machining company thinking about how to build up their reputation. Branding is more important for them.
    Sure they can build quality, but the price will be higher, and in the end that increase in price may not make it worthwhile for many American firms and designers to go to China.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 71bsab50 View Post
    It's a common mistake IMO to compare the China of today with Japan of yesterday as their business models are completely different.

When the Japanese started exporting to the west they did so by raising standards of design and quality and in doing so they built brands that stood for something that could be trusted. Take Honda in the 1960's, no one ever made 5 cylinder 125cc racing motorcycles that revved over 20K until Honda came along and no one made 4-stroke 125 twins with an OHC that revved to 10K that had a warranty that you buy from a dealer. The Japanese raised standards

The same cannot be said of China, where are the quality improvements and the brand names? Seriously where are they? Sure the Chinese have made big bucks by state sponsored undercutting which has tilted wealth in their direction, but remove the cost advantage and there's little if anything sustainable. I wish there was but the state micromanages everything in the mistaken belief that it's creating competitive industries, it's pseudo capitalism that creates dependency and not real winners!

Just my 2 cents worth.
    That's the thing with China, they really don't have respectable well established brands like the Japanese. And China has a habit of blatantly copying, whereas Japan adopted technology and then added their own ideas and design. Never noticed anyone, India included, who blatantly copy like China.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Of course China can make good "stuff". It all boils down to how much you are willing to pay.

Forbes Welcome

My phone is a Huawei P10 and I prefer it to my "old" iPhone.

Chinese Brands that DON'T SUCK! - YouTube
    I know they can make "good stuff". They've been able to for a while. In my industry, the price gap between us and them for "good stuff" hasn't been great enough for some of our customers to abandon local gauge shops for the big savings overseas. This last batch of fixtures we got in, were not only top notch quality, but significantly cheaper than previous experiences. What I take from that is, that they've now figured out how to make things both good, and cheap. Most of this is on bigger fixtures as tolerances tend to grow with the size of job and small stuff tends to be fussier. But I've also seen some smaller fixture from over there that have been dead nuts everywhere. Everything WEDM, or ground. Impressive stuff, I know they're capable.

We used to do a lot of large fixtures for rockers, engine cradles, cross car reinforcements, etc. Big stuff. Can't remember when the last new build was for a big part was. We get small stuff now for new builds, and revisions on big stuff. Gotta be flexible.... It's like eating chicken wings vs a chicken breast. You can have a good meal with a chicken breast there's more meat on the bone, but it takes a lot more wings to fill your belly. We only get wing jobs now and they're not as meaty as they used to be.