What's new
What's new

What exactly are the Chinese tarrifs on machine tools these days ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
What exactly are the USA tarrifs on Chinese machine tools these days ?

That is importing from China to US.... something in the $5,000 range for example. Looks like it could be as high as 30% but then if it was that high one wonders how places like Northern Tool seem to be holding the line on prices ?

One would think this would be a simple Google question...but the more I read the more confusing it gets.

Last edited:
A lot of Chinese manufacturers will reduce prices to compensate for importer cost increases impacting on sales...And reduce their own employees wages /compensation to balance the books.....However ,I do note the selling price of Chinese cast iron machines in general has increased greatly in the last few years.....The only competition is between Chinese and Chinese...there is no other show in town.....any kind of Euro manufacture cast iron is at least twice the price of Chinese........As to US tariffs....there will be published schedule of tariffs on a US Dept of Trade (equiv) website.

I do note the selling price of Chinese cast iron machines in general has increased greatly in the last few years

Manufacturing in China or India isn't cheap anymore, just short sighted greed has killed off our industry and skills to the point all we can do is sit on our hands. I have a strict anti China policy for tools with the only exception to buying Chinese being if it just isn't made by a European company. If it's too expensive to justify then we go without rather than buying a cheap copy, as that just causes more harm. The list of things is getting longer and some things are more expensive than they were when they were made here.

Manufacturing in China or India isn't cheap anymore
How do you know ? Have you tried it ?

just short sighted greed has killed off our industry and skills to the point all we can do is sit on our hands.
Tend to agree but tend to not, as well. For instance, retailers triple the price on what they sell. But if they didn't, they'd either go out of business or make no money at all, so why bother ?

There is a component of greed but the cost structure, at least of the US, is so distorted that rational commerce is impossible. There are so many other things involved, such as the ridiculously ineffective double-priced health care, brain-dead insurance costs, blood-sucking permitting processes, accounting costs, legal fees, and then the entire financial sector mess ....

Meanwhile, the so-called "conservatives" bleat about the invisible hand.

Milacron, you titled this backwards. Chinese tariffs are all over, depending on the category of machine, but in most cases the reactive tariffs have been removed. In general, they run 7 to 9%, while US tariffs are about 4%. Generally. There is room there for rational negotiation, if the US were capable of that.

US press coverage btw is shit, it squeals and whines about the ruling Communist Party this and authoritaritarian Xi Jinping that but never tells you what's really going on.

Immediately after the Drumpf's illegal tariffs went into effect, there was a reactive tariff levied on US-built machine tools. But since the US doesn't build much of anything, it wasn't a big deal for us. Did kill a couple of potential sales, thanks asshole in the White House, but mostly affected other products. Then they had those "trade talks" with the ignorant cocksucking Peter Navarro and China, in good faith, dropped the reactive tariffs on US built machinery. No reporting in the Times or Post, of course.

As a gesture of good will, Drumpf started screaming about "mishandling" of the "Wuhan Kung Flu" which the US press dutifully reported and certain US citizens regurgitated ad infinitem. Now the ignorant bastards are reporting that "Xi Jinping has not congratulated Mr Biden yet." (By the way, Mr Xi personally informed the Drumpf by phone of the dangers of the virus long before it hit the US, and he also personally and nationally well-wished the Drumpf when That Asshole got covid. What did he get in return ? Shit on.)

With the orange-haired piece of crap "making deals" it won't be long before the US is anathema to the entire world, and you can just damn well make your own products and grow your own fruits and vegetables. Which might work, if you had any factories or people left to man them. Ask wheelieking how that works out, maybe he can find some skilled baristas to run his machining centers. If they can get up that day and their dog didn't eat the directions to work, anyhow. And oh yeah, you could pay ten times more, at least, for everything.

With the biggest asshole in US history at the helm, Mr Xi is understandably reluctant to make waves yet. It could be quite expensive. It has nothing to do with authoritarianism, the ruling Communist Party, or any of the other swill they habitually sling at China.

In regards to your original question, Customs publishes a schedule of tariffs. But I would not bet on them staying the same, until we evict that worthless son of a bitch from the white house. Personally, I'd enjoy seeing that. The US army could finally deal with a deserving opponent.

Guideline : senile elephant in must, as PDW so aptly put it. Keep that in mind and you can't go wrong.

It's not good to hold back. You should tell us how you really feel.

LOL!

Yazzzz..

..and "for extra credit" why EG thinks anyone actually CARES by this late date?

IF, off the back of a clean sweep on dead and non-existent folk's votes, Quid-Pro-Beijing-Joe actually HAS won the election?

Tariffs will shortly be ZERO on imports FROM Pee-are-Sea, still whatever they are on US exports to them.

Downside to waiting?

Customers with any money left to spend and the willingness to risk it may approach "zero" just as rapidly.

"The more things change...." the stoopider we grow?

"The more things change...." the stoopider we grow?
Musta been hurricane season at your house, the past few years.

@john.k, No, they can't drop wages. This isn't the US where you can screw anyone you want. All workers have contracts and the contracts are enforced. Companies have registered capital, cash in the bank, checked. When a judgement is found against a company for violating the labor laws or breaching a contract, the cash comes out of that capital fund, on the way out of the hearing room. No farting around. And the company has to refill the registered capital account or they cannot continue to do business.

You can't just fuck people over in China.

I'm sure they deal with the tariffs in some manner - maybe a kickback on taxes ? but not by dropping wages.

The only competition is between Chinese and Chinese...there is no other show in town.....any kind of Euro manufacture cast iron is at least twice the price of Chinese........As to US tariffs....there will be published schedule of tariffs on a US Dept of Trade (equiv) website.

Not really, the tariffs have made Taiwan stuff extremely competitive. Or what you do is make your parts in China, ship them to Vietnam, where they're substantially transformed (a motor can be a lot of things, one of which is a table saw) and then shipped on with no tariff.

Musta been hurricane season at your house, the past few years.
Only two in 30 years. BFD. Roof-OVER was 35 years old, original dated from the early '70's. Got my money's worth out of cheap "20 year" asphalt shingles.

New 150 MPH PROVEN Reinke Shakes shiney-wood roofing is coming.

You can't just fuck people over in China.

LOL!

Which fool told you THAT?

Protest and dissent in China - Wikipedia

Mind.. they have gotten more vicious as to surpressing even the NEWS of the protests over being "not f**ked over".

And all this time you had us convinced you were in love with the Communist Party because you had actually BEEN THERE?

Too busy taking all your meals "at the 'Y' ", to have any broader interests, was it?

:D

I do not believe that either China charges any tariffs on outgoing goods. Never heard of any country doing that except Nazi Germany on Jewish money and lives.
Bil lD

I do not believe that either China charges any tariffs on outgoing goods. Never heard of any country doing that except Nazi Germany on Jewish money and lives.
Bil lD

Pennsylvania tried to do it on Estates as a 'transfer' tax where the departee's tax was scaled over how long they had been out of PA before croaking vs how long they had lived there NOT dead. Mum's case was complicated because she was returned AFTER she died .. but... not to "live there".

52 pages worth of it around here on-file. Somewhere.

Problem is.. the departee having already "escaped" then also DIED, and their NEW State of Domicile figuring PA nutty as cockroaches on LSD for trying to mess with THEIR residents? PA don't often get to enforce a law of that sort!

We have weirder State laws on the books.

MUST serve a slice of cheese with any order of Apple Pie.
Married man not allowed to horsewhip his Wife of a Sunday.. but any OTHER day was OK? Not sure about wimmin' only being cohabited with?

Only live folks eligible to vote in a State may actually vote, and only ONCE per election?

Allegheny County refused to take Mum - already a Virginia resident - off their voter rolls on the authority of a Virginia death cert and Executor's Letters Testamentary. Insisted she had to sign for that herself. Dead folk are IMPORTANT to the PA Democratic party. The longer they've been dead, the more votes they are entitled to cast.

I WAS able to get Agony County to excuse Mum from the jury duty call that came the year after she left PA and many months after she had also died.

Told 'em she'd be delighted to have something more interesting to do, but they'd have to bear the cost of opening and reclosing the grave every day .... unless they could find a hotel properly equipped to cater to corpses.

Wasn't aware of it back in 2016, but Delaware has private residences equipped for that?

As with any OTHER Laws?

All for nought if/as/when nobody cares to ENFORCE them.

In California you do not have to be alive for your vote to be counted. As long as you mark and sign the ballot before you die it will be counted. Four years ago people were telling each other to vote by mail in case they die before election day. I did not hear anything like that this time around.
Bill D

Hmmm... I did get the topic title backwards.... meant to say USA tariffs on Chinese machine tools... :dopeslap:

I think I have mentioned it before. The oldest government building in California is the customs building in Monterey, 1827. It is now a museum. All governments collect taxes somehow.
Bill D

It's not good to hold back. You should tell us how you really feel.
No reason to hide it, I haven't been a "US is so speshul" hypocrite since the 4th grade, but always before, there has been some sort of attempt at ethics, legality, decent behaviour. Even the southerners were upright enough to actually secede. This is tinpot dictator, banana republic, disgusting shameful crap. Donald Lukashenko, for joy for joy.

termite said:
We have known for a long time that you don't care. Don't care about rule of law, don't care about ethics, don't care about truth, don't know shit about machining, what the fuck do you care about ? beyond your bloviating puffed-up ego, that is ?

That is importing from China to US.... something in the $5,000 range for example. Looks like it could be as high as 30% but then if it was that high one wonders how places like Northern Tool seem to be holding the line on prices ?

One would think this would be a simple Google question...but the more I read the more confusing it gets.

if you care to weed through it...

https://hts.usitc.gov/view/Chapter 84?release=2020HTSARev26

from

Harmonized Tariff Schedule PDFs

the currency fluctuation accounts for 8%. that is what the Trump admin claims pay for the tariffs. I can not verify but I think the 15% or so tariff is split between currency devaluation and price hikes.

LOL!

Yazzzz..

IF, off the back of a clean sweep on dead and non-existent folk's votes, Quid-Pro-Beijing-Joe actually HAS won the election?

You just go on and keep believing in pink rainbow farting unicorns. Take the list of the 5+ million+ nonexistent zombies to court. A judge will decide if you are all nuts or not. So far Frumpy dug up a dozen or so irregularities. So what, it will not change a thing. Bush V Gore was a 327 vote dispute in one state. This one is not even in the same universe.

Suck it buttercup, he lost. You have 4 years to take another bite, till then lick your scars, feed your BDS, whatever, makes no difference. the transition of power continues, no matter what.

dee
;-D

the currency fluctuation accounts for 8%. that is what the Trump admin claims pay for the tariffs.
What it really does is make US exports too expensive. People think, "What's 8% ? no big deal" but when it's on a $750,000 D11 and Komatsu now comes in $60,000 cheaper, it's bye-bye US sales.

So the biggies like Cat and Tesla start making more in China, bye-bye US jobs and taxes and gdp. The little guys like lobstermen just get screwed. The farmers, who can't move production but have power, take fifteen billion from ... hmm. Where did that fifteen billion smackers come from ? Maybe the tariffs, or more likely our post office, medicare, social security ... the US public got screwed. Yet they think it's a tremendous feat of bargaining cuz uno, that Trump he's a real deal-maker ! he showed them a thing or three !

Yeah right. A few more years of that and you can deal yourselves right into chapter eleven, just like the Donald.

Back