What's new
What's new

What the F&*# is wrong with this country?

Hell, nothing is sacred anymore.

I have been a motorcycle guy just about all of my life. I prefer older european bikes, but have gravitated heavily towards Harley-Davidsons for many years. They have been doing "outsourcing" for many years now.

The carburetors and electrics are all Japanese. (unfortunately, much better than the older stuff.) And...........
When you walk into a dealer and drool over all of the "OEM" chrome accessory goodies hanging on the wall, if you buy them, when you open them up you will see little tiny "made in China" stickers on the actual parts themselves.
Also, now, most of the aftermarket parts and accessory suppliers have gone "offshore" for their wares.

So, with that said, nothing is sacred anymore! ! ! ! I find it a bit disgusting!

Frank

Nothing!!!!!! What's wrong with you?? Haven't you been reading the national pride thread?
Heck we are just trying to stay ahead of Denmark... and we're pretty darn proud of ourselves.......

But all kidding aside... we keep hitting bottom and then keep digging

We don’t want to profile or discriminate and what could be better than to bring up all the poor countries of the world. Spend that extra money the U.S. piled up over past years to buy goods from the poorer countries and soon every body in the world will be rich.

They will even loan us the money to buy more.

We can blame part of the problem on unions and pensions.

We should also blame those factory workers as they probably were drinking coffee when they should have been working harder.

And those business owners why are some of them wealthy?

Better to let those other people get dirty hands and sweat in nasty factories for a change. That way our children can be clean and safe playing video games and then raise their children in the extra bed room.

Such audacity for us to think we should be above the world average for cars, TVs and in door plumbing with toilets.

Seems that many educators and politicians are talking this way.

What is the answer? It is not just wages or is it? Could it be global warming?

Too many free loaders not only at the bottom but also at the top, Government spending trying to out race tax collecting, Taxes too high, Energy too high, Every body buying junk imports. Retailers out for that last 5%, Americans not willing to give up their cars. We lost the incentive to work hard, We are lazy and stupid.

What?

Buck

Me no comment? Who's kidding who :)

Seriously I suggest that the most negative of you take a look at what's been going on in the world and especially since 2008. Not many countries are what they were. Most of those now doing reasonably well, all things taken into consideration, are the same countries that we used to give money and food to.

The day they start sending us money and food is the time to start worrying. It takes longer to turn a tanker than a rowing boat and that's one disadvantage of being big. Still, you'll get it turned around.

Gordon

I like the first comment on that blurb. "Fraud made legal"

The country-of-origin relabeling is just a tiny step beyond NO labeling which certain classes of items have had for some time. The car manufacturers originally lobbied to keep the CoO off all the bearings and other hardware they were importing to put in cars. Yes, of course it's corrupt. So are just about all our federal agencies to some degree, whether the responsible individuals allow a political agenda to supplant their sworn duty, or whether money is simply going into their offshore bank accounts. Or both. Why is anyone surprised? Apart from, I suppose, those few naifs who believe that the hundreds of tons of narcotics confiscated by law enforcement gets destroyed...

You can pressure your Congressional representative for legislation to take CoO labeling authority out of the hands of unaccountable agency apparatchiks, but good luck with that...agencies are patronage groups and exist to arrogate power unto themselves.

Respectfully, if you don't know what's wrong, you aren't paying attention. Regards, Clark

Actually the problem is me. I am apparently part of a minority in a democratic country. Therefore I must accept/adapt. Can anyone recommend a good online source for how to construct a meth lab?

Really they have been doing about the same thing for quite a while, in about 90 I was working at the Bureau of Engraving in Ft Worth the specs called for a Yokagawa meter, they are made in Japan but the federal law required everything to be made in the USA, so we had to disassemble and reassemble it with a giverment inspector watching us before we could install it

Damn I hated paying taxes when I worked there after seeing all the money they pi$$ed away

My opinion only, in no particular order:

Target
K-Mart
Wal-mart
Home depote
Lowes
Pay less shoes
Harbor Freight

I defy you to go into ANY of these stores and find a non food item from the U.S. Oh you can find a few, but it's very hard, and you will be there a while.

Yet another example of governmental chicanery. Nothing good can come out of this policy, which amounts to no more than a statistical shell game intended to gerrymander unattractive data and gain the support of an uninformed constituency.

~TW~

It's simple, guys. Products still made in the USA will likely continue to be labeled "Made in the USA". Assume everything else is made elsewhere.

Cheers,
--Hawk

Actually this doesn't mean a thing or matter in any significant way (Hawk is correct in so far as the labeling goes).

Here's the real deal, when you go into a store and everything (or so close as to make no diff) is made in some other country and you're all mad about that, it shows the extent to which you've already had your thinking corrupted by the system.

What you should be asking yourself is "Where can I buy this item that I want/need, that is made in the USA?" --but you don't ask that, you just are angry because the thing you are trying to buy is made someplace else.

But if you do ask that question you soon notice that there is no US manufacturer to buy from (yes there are some sparsely strewn items made here, but not a big % of what you want/need).

Now that's what they don't want you to notice --they have already misdirected you into thinking and being mad because 'it's foreign made', not why isn't this made here. So the next step is to make you feel good about it instead of bad, but still without causing you at ask the correct question. And the clear way to do this is by removing the label that's now distressing you. No label no bad thought at all, and above all no asking the real important questions.

QED.

Now why did that happen? Outsourcing, off shoring, etc.? Or could it be that large numbers of people who were/are just living normal lives (whatever passes for normal these days) have continued to show companies that they will buy cheap over quality every time, if given the choice?

Yep, that's right I'm blaming the people that just wanted the best life they could manage. But then so does a sheep.

So "What the F&*# is wrong with this country?" --> sheeple.

For whatever it's worth, I'm not excluding myself --as a matter of fact it's no doubt me and my peers that merrily followed the garden path, just trying to put beans on the table and raise the kids. But I'm older now (just turned 73) and hind sight being what it is I wish I had done better then that --you know, asked the right questions back before the jobs started going away.

But it's like the frog being slowly boiled to death by gradually rising water temps --doesn't notice it til it's too late.

So all I can do now (which I admit isn't much), is to pile up the guns and ammo, etc. --not really so much for me, my race is much closer to the end then the start of it, but for the kids --mine and yours, so they don't have to storm the Bastille with nothing more then pitchforks. And that day will come, possibly even in my remaining life span. (hopefully trying to restore the Republic, but whatever --storm it they will have to or be slaves forever)

If you are young enough you might take a little advice and start asking the right questions --but it's more then I did so that's a sort of do as I say, not as I did proposition.

And if I'm wrong and the guns/ammo/etc. are never needed, so what --they can just rust away... just like America has.

Zero.

Don't know about you guys but here I'm finding more and more products/tools on which there is absolutely no indication of where its made, was looking at one again today.
Food was always quite horrible like that " imported by, for... " no idea where or who the heck makes it.

It'll be an interesting future either way.

Back