What Happened to Cincinnati Milacron? - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    I am glad that we have someone who, from a distance of forty years and a location on the other side of the globe, can tell us what the future would have been.
    Human nature has not changed in thousands of years, so it is easy to predict what would have happened.

I guess Gleason doesn't exist ?
    Using one company that bucked the trend but ignoring the hundreds that didn't does not strengthen the argument. It is sort of like arguing with someone over something like religion or politics and when you point out an inconvenient truth the reply usually starts with. "Oh yes BUT" then the convienant excuse starts.

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC99 View Post
    Human nature has not changed in thousands of years, so it is easy to predict what would have happened.
    Total bullshit. The entire philosophy of corporations (and society along with it) changed drastically in the late seventies. Thanks, Uncle Miltie, you twat.

The Barmy "Corporations Exist to Maximize Shareholder Value" Myth

No, I didn't just discover this. Used to argue with E. Huntress about Mr Friedman at length. You were wrong, Ed !

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default mr

Just finished my nightshift and was browsing and came across this thread. I worked on a Cincinnati Milacron 5 axis machine for 6 years with a siemens accramatic 950 control. The head would tilt about 25 degrees left to right and front to back. When we had a shutdown for maintenance the Cincinnati guy would ask me

"how's it running".
    "Fine" would be my response.
    "I'll leave it alone then"
    Turns out that it was of such an age no one working for the firm in the uk new anything about it. When it did go wrong a retired engineer use to do the repairs.
    I use to make a large titanium part on it that when fully assembled held the engine in place on a c27 j spartan military plane. A nacelle I think. in terms of power it could drive a 3" porcupine cutter with a 2" depth of cut into titanium at a fair feed and hardly register on the spindle load. It was a big old thing and the firm I worked for wanted to move it.
    They were told if they took it apart to move it there was no one with the knowledge to get it going again. The firms gone now and I wonder where it went. At the moment I'm working on a 3 axis with a nikken 5 axis table on it doing drill jigs were every hole is at a different angle. That old Cincinnati would have been perfect.
    Last edited by strawman0007; 07-12-2018 at 03:28 AM. Reason: clearer post

4. Likes Peter S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by strawman0007 View Post
    Just finished my nightshift and was browsing and came across this thread. I worked on a Cincinnati Milacron 5 axis machine for 6 years with a siemens accramatic 950 control. The head would tilt about 25 degrees left to right and front to back. When we had a shutdown for maintenance the Cincinnati guy would ask me

"how's it running".
    "Fine" would be my response.
    "I'll leave it alone then"
    Turns out that it was of such an age no one working for the firm in the uk new anything about it. When it did go wrong a retired engineer use to do the repairs.
    I use to make a large titanium part on it that when fully assembled held the engine in place on a c27 j spartan military plane. A nacelle I think. in terms of power it could drive a 3" porcupine cutter with a 2" depth of cut into titanium at a fair feed and hardly register on the spindle load. It was a big old thing and the firm I worked for wanted to move it.
    They were told if they took it apart to move it there was no one with the knowledge to get it going again. The firms gone now and I wonder where it went. At the moment I'm working on a 3 axis with a nikken 5 axis table on it doing drill jigs were every hole is at a different angle. That old Cincinnati would have been perfect.

FWIW - that 950 was built by Cincinnati Milacron as well.
    It was bought and serviced by Siemens after Cinci sold out.
    But Siemens never had anything to doo with building the 950.

It is actually called a "A950" which stands for Acramatic - which is Cinci's control division.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Maybe too good

The Horizontals were super very rigid. Back in the day before a recession I guess 1883 when a lot of guys lost jobs due to oil field cutting back and other factors I think most of the guys who knew how to keep them running all retired. The ones who stayed at it would be expensive compared to a new Japanese Machine that is a good skilled person was available. I saw people run those into the ground and never oiling them and were just scared of them.

I liked the machine and used it a lot. I was taught to leave it cleaner than I found it and first to oil that baby up! With proper respect that machine served well and could take material off well. I kind of feel they rival modern CNC s in the face killing- roughing department .