Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    ...US buyers have been conditioned to have very low expectations of entire categories of Chinese products from drill bits to mill drills. Lots of ways you might demonstrate improvement -- but that's a whole 'nother question.
    That conditioning is the result of so many years experience that it has tremendous momentum and won't be overcome in my lifetime.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

During my parents' generation "Made in Japan" went from being an indicator of cheap, irregular, knock-off quality to being an indicator of premium quality. Part of that is because the companies participating in the export sector of the Japanese enonomy changed radically, shifting from gimcrack toymakers to carmakers and camera makers. Part of it is due to a overall industrial improvement over the two or three decades immediately after WW 2 was over.

Global commerce is substantially different in the 2010's than the 1960's, so I don't expect things to follow exactly the same pattern. It is entirely possible that specific Chinese firms will establish a reputation for quality (possibly in both design and execution), and that people will come to recognize their trademarks and brand names. At which point, they will be subject to exactly the same problems of counterfeiting, look-alike brands like "Pittsburgh", knockers-off with five levels of quality ranging from "abysmal" to "meh", etc, as everybody else.

Country
    INDIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Product Brand, Quantity,Quality,Price ,MFD

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quality can be many things to different buyers, some may like the box its packed in, the colour of it, maybe it has nice smooth edges that cost five times more, better steel, some gimmick to say its better steel, actually having better steel, different heat treatment, lifecycle difference, proven lifecycle, coatings etc

Its a long list but fitness for purpose is a neat description for some not all, how can one judge a many makes of car, all most likely work for a time but may have different fuel usage rates, lifespans.
    Or as we all know red cars go faster lol.

The criteria of quality is what we think to us a quality product is, however benchmarking set criteria like some car magazines do rarely do i agree on the advice that this car is a quality car a few years down the track sorts this out for me. so i consider them to judge a car incorrectly but they tell the world their opinion on it.

There are many books on quality and ways to define it, however few have read them who operate in the market place so that must be remembered a from time to time and need to educate and prove a items worth if it has a higher price tag.

Most of the work with the Japanese was from the British and US people they took to it like a duck to water and now we look to them to define quality what a reversal.

We all need to read up a little on it theres lots out their you may not have thought of and much is not listed in the posts so far, just so you are aware of the limitation you define quality by.

5. Likes gwelo62 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It seems to me that we have different expectations. We expect the Chinese product to 'need work,' whilst the American,English,European product must be "perfect." I put off buying a Chinese lathe for years because I could not handle the fact that I was expected to finish it off. Eventually I tried to get a Big Dog lathe for my home shop. I was ready to pay but the voice on the other end refused to let me buy an 'all-metric' version as sold in the UK( metric and imperial versions are available). My thinking was that 'all-metric' would be better than 'bastardised Imperial' and I prefer metric anyway. The tone on the phone was definitely -'hell no.' I bought an old 9"SB instead. We Americans are not as 'buyer oriented' as we like to think we are. The Chinese stuff is like the Jap stuff - getting better all the time.

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Guo View Post
    1,Price 2,Quality 3, Service 4,Origin 5,Company 6, others
    Welcome to share the story you guys interested in.
    Of course, consider the quality and the price. Besides, you also need to consider whether it is a brand and reliable supplier

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

im going with availability, i hate ordering common ie non custom stuff then finding out its delayed because the supplier does not actually have it!

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is the most important when you purchase products?

I get what I ordered and on time.

10. Likes JoeE. liked this post