When is something MADE IN THE USA?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default When is something MADE IN THE USA?

If a product consists of 5 items and one of the 5 items is not made in the USA but the product is designed in the USA and all 5 items are assembled in the USA, is this a genuine Made in the USA product?

BTW I don’t have any specific product in mind and am asking from sheer curiosity.

2. Likes converterking, KingSize liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

by the law, in someones opinion?

By the law it doesn't have to have a lot of USA content

In my opinion your example would count as US made, I mean, we haven't made Ic's here in years, so you cannot buy anything electronic truly USA made if it has to be 100 percent

I purchase things made in China and Mexico and add and modify them, I do not brag about USA made, but most of the 'value' comes in this country, for whatever that is worth

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks and yes, I did mean by law.

5. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Complying with the Made in USA Standard | Federal Trade Commission

You pretty much have to have 2 law degrees to wade through this mudhole. It states in one place "the majority of process or product"

There are soo many different conditions that drive that, It seems like it would have to be domestic material, manufactured domestically, with no foreign content to meet the requirements. But like others have said, certain components are nearly impossible to reasonably obtain in the USA now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marathon Electric makes motors that proudly say "made in the USA" on them. Stator, frame, rotor, brackets are made in China. We wind them, put bearings on them. Our main product was made here until last winter, when we shut our foundry. Now all of our castings are made in Mexico and China, but we make the rotors and stators here. All "made in the USA"
    Joe

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dftt...........

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Who cares ?

The OP farms out all his business to China.

Has nothing to do with the USA other than visiting here
    and criticizing everything about it.

Trolling for sure.

10. Likes camscan, Cole2534, pressbrake1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reading the FTC link I stand corrected, there do appear to be significant content rules, I think they are widely ignored

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Who cares ?

The OP farms out all his business to China.

Has nothing to do with the USA other than visiting here
    and criticizing everything about it.

Trolling for sure.
    "Who cares?" Apparently you do or you wouldn't have posted.

Probably surprise you just how many customers I have in the USA. Canada too for that matter.

"The OP farms out all his business to China."

Care to elaborate on that or are you like Scottl and can't answer a simple question?

Take a look at my products all of which are made in Denmark.

http://www.f-m-s.dk/Thread%20Inserts.pdf

http://f-m-s.dk/nyside2.htm

http://f-m-s.dk/nyside3.htm

The next I do import from China but they are much less than 5% of my business.

http://f-m-s.dk/nyside5.htm

13. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This one Complying with the Made in USA Standard | Federal Trade Commission gives a bunch of examples of how foreign content can affect the legitimacy of a made in usa claim.

Also somewhat confusing. And, as typical of government documents, you find it about 4 layers deep beneath the top page document carrying a similar title but containing near zero useful information.

I don't have a link, but I read an article several months ago in a trade magazine concerning the USA claim and how screwy it can be.

The article focused on fasteners and the fact that there are essentially no cheap low strength fasteners made in the US. A company could make a sheetmetal product, for example, that's produced entirely from US sourced steel, paint, and labor. If the product happens to contain a lot of low strength screws, then chances are the manufacturer can't legitimately claim an unqualified Made in USA.

OTOH, if the mfgr uses all US sourced socket head capscrews, which are totally unnessecary for the application and likely to push the cost up to a non-competitive level, it can clearly be labeled Made in USA.

And alternatively, the manufacturer could use a minimum quantity of imported screws and choose to spot weld the remainder together to the point where it becomes incapable of normal access for repairs, and the product would be much more likely to qualify for Made in USA labeling.

Really doesn't make much sense, does it?

OTOH, assuming the above information on Marathon motors is accurate, they are in clear violation of the labeling law.

15. Likes KingSize liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metlmunchr View Post
    This one Complying with the Made in USA Standard | Federal Trade Commission gives a bunch of examples of how foreign content can affect the legitimacy of a made in usa claim.
    I think, until anyone can prove it wrong, I'll go with the original "product" lawfully being named MADE IN THE USA.

17. Likes converterking liked this post
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metlmunchr View Post
    OTOH, assuming the above information on Marathon motors is accurate, they are in clear violation of the labeling law.
    The FTC could care less. I've been asked several times to track down missing or late shipments, then look on a website to find "Made in USA !" plastered all over the place. And no, there is no city in China called USA.

19. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    The FTC could care less. I've been asked several times to track down missing or late shipments, then look on a website to find "Made in USA !" plastered all over the place. And no, there is no city in China called USA.
    Back in the days when the Japanese copied, a town was renamed "Scotland" so the local booze could be sold as "Made in Scotland". Was quickly stopped

There is though a town called China in Texas. Moscow isn't just in Russia either.

21. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    The "Usa" story is so old, it was supposed to be in evil Japan.

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

a very deep gray area. we discuss this constantly simply decide to stay safe by saying "designed and assembled in the US".
    for instance if you have a furnace that is made of sheet metal, from who knows where since that source is going to change everytime the steel distributor puts a new roll of steel on the straightener, screws most likely imported, a motor, even us brands are probably assembled in mexico or use imported components, blower, maybe US made and controls, us made of imported electronics. Try as you may you would not be able to make this 100% USA and you can spend the next month splitting hairs on arguments one way or the other and someone else can give you equally as good opposing arguments.

24. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is an interesting story about that, local to me. We have a shipyard just across the bay from me, Dakota Creek, which employs over 400 people, and can lift and drydock ships up to 300 feet long. They recently ran into trouble with the Jones act, which legally requires US flagged ships to be US made, and there is a specific foreign content allowed. They used some parts that were pre bent in Holland. Turns out they figured on the cost of the steel, but didnt allow for the cost of the rolling in their numbers, and, thus, the ship would technically NOT have been american made, in which case, the customer would not have accepted it, the shipyard would have been out $75 million, and, most likely, gone bankrupt.
    They ended up trying, and, so far, it seems, succeeding, in getting a special act of congress to waive that half percent or so of foreign content.
    Dakota Creek seeks help from Congress on $75 million ship | News | goskagit.com
    We are talking about $275,000 worth of work on a $75 million ship, but that could have sunk the whole deal.
    Dakota Creek Industries lobbies for Jones Act waiver | National Fisherman

bottom line- its complicated, and in today's global economy, its really really hard to source everything from the USA.

I know, for my own work, its often very hard to find certain things domestically. And, when I do, I pay more. I tend to have custom bolts made by Portland Bolt, for example, rather than off the shelf imports, especially for structural stuff, but its definitely more money. My steel suppliers often can only find some sizes and shapes of things in domestic- I recently needed 4500lbs of T bar- and the only thing they could find was Turkish. Most likely, if I needed more like 40,000lbs, or 80,000lbs, they might have found domestic- I am not sure. Some things are just not made in the US at all anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have a valve vendor that uses 100% domestic product and it's run by Italian immigrants (well, their descendants at this point). They also have, I believe, the largest collection of Warner and Swasey turret lathes in the world. I haven't seen it since about 2013, but they had probably 30,000 sq ft of them in storage and probably a 150 on the floor in use.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    If a product consists of 5 items and one of the 5 items is not made in the USA but the product is designed in the USA and all 5 items are assembled in the USA, is this a genuine Made in the USA product?

BTW I don’t have any specific product in mind and am asking from sheer curiosity.
    Don't you mean "sheer boredom".

28. Likes camscan, Cole2534, SRT Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did you hear about the builder who wanted to build a home with 100% USA made materials inside and out? He could not do it. Appliances, electrical outlets, nuts and bolts and even a doorbell were a few things that tripped him up along the way.