What's new
What's new

Why does no one here talk about Taiwan ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
The real Asian competition in machine tools that matter...i.e. high production CNC is from Taiwan, not China. In looking down the topics each day I see China this, China that..you guys are really obscessed with China. Can't you pay a bit of attention to some other countries for a while ?

[ 02-18-2007, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: D. Thomas ]

Unfortunately, this has just turned into a place to be taunted by Tektra. He/she kept most of the topics focused on China. Personally I have gotten so tired of Tektra, that I often skip this area.

After All the forum is: Manufacturing in America and Europe. No mention of China...

Well if you talk to the PRC folks, taiwan *is*
them, too!

I have found that many of the postdocs at work
are from taiwan, and worked with many folks
from that country. I am under the general
impression that taiwan is about two generations
ahead of the PRC in terms of technology.

A close co-worker went to head the physics
department at taiwan national university.

The other interesting comment I have heard
is that there will never be a shooting war
between the two countries, for the simple
reason there is too much money to be made,
by 'playing nice.' The business interests
run the governments, hence there will be
no shooting war that would interfere with
trade.

Just a few random thoughts about the region.

Jim

Mark, maybe I should create another forum - Manufacturing in China ? Old dude and Gary E would be in heaven....

Yes, Tawain, Mark Tawain- he was a writer who lived in New York.

Taiwan, on the other hand, is a country with Universities, engineeers, a big middle class, a minimum wage that is something like $1500 a month, mandatory workers comp and unemployment insurance, and a big chinese new year bonus paid by most companies that is equal to at least a months wages.

People there own cars and live in high rise apartments.
They make very high tech stuff, and although its still a lot cheaper to live and work there than here in the USA, it aint no dollar a day slave labor type of place.

I just had a Taiwanese writer and her american husband over last month, she is writing a book about art that will feature my wife, and they live a life very much like yuppies in Philadelphia or San Diego would.

So countries like Taiwan, which are competing with us mostly on quality, not price, are the ones we really have to watch out for.
Taiwan made VMC's are in the same price range as Haas machines made in Oxnard California.

....left over cold war attitudes, the huge amounts of US money invested in Taiwan, the American tendency to stick up for the "underdog", etc.

Gene

Please! don. Do it. then all we need to do is make a forum for GeneH to rant from...
Fortunately we don't need a special forum for Anchorman. All you need do is visit cnn.com and subscribe online to the New York Times. Do a little listening to NPR and Pacifica Radio to add some flavor.

You'll get all of the "information" and "awareness" you require to be a Goodthinker. You won't understand diddly about the world around you but you'll feel appropriately about every subject under the Sun.

On the other hand, spend some time at FreeRepublic and add copious amounts of time with lewrockwell.com, reason.com and the isil.org and you too will be free of neo-con rubbish and the same old tired crap you've been feed by the Dinosaur Media since 1964.

Gene

Frankly I'm surprised the moderator never made any attempt to reign in Tektra's propaganda but has been quick to critize people who disagreed
with Tektra.
I strongly seriously suggest that everyone click on the link and very carefully read the article,
we are on a very slippery slope and I am afraid it
will get worse.

http://www.city-journal.org/html/17_1_free_speech.html

It's only a matter of time...
...I suspect it will get worse...may never get better

We got the "decider" deciding, doncha know...

We got US BORDER Guards doing 11 and 12 yrs in the Fed Slammer for trying to do their job...while the drug smugler was let go, and is suing the US Gvmt for $5 mil cuz he got shot in the a$$

http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-01-18-voa2.cfm

But we still got the "decider" at the helm

Talk about Taiwan is to talk about China don’t doubt it a second.
Like Honk Kong, Taiwan shall return to home, and when this happen the Chinese economy will make quantum lap, and precisely that is the point, west, don’t need an even stronger China specially USA.
I bet,at the time USA goes to Iran, China goes to Taiwan.

I would love in the future, people can say, servidor is a big mouth.WE NEED PEACE.Where there is not justice it will be war.

servidor, you can edit your own posts, no need to keep posing new posts as new revelations enter your head.

This is interesting. D asks why no one talks about Taiwan. 16 responses, 4 are about Taiwan. :rolleyes:

I think it may be that the impetus to discuss foreign manufacturing is driven more by ideological disagreements and outright racism than any real desire to discuss foreign manufacturing.

An important issue is whether there are quality products available from Asia, regardless of country of origin. Ex.: Someone wants a toolroom lathe, i.e. a Hardinge HLVH clone or a Bridgeport clone. The obvious choice seems to be the Sharp versions, products that are representative of Taiwanese manufacturing expertise that would satisfy the needs of some of the more exacting consumers. Speaking of Taiwan being 4 generations ahead of the PRC technologically, I read in PM that these HLVH-clones _may_ be outsourced by Sharp from China. Is this true? What about Timken closing all worldwide operations and reopening a single facility in China? How long will it be before PRC equals Taiwan in production of mainstream high quality machinery, the equal of anything Japanese, Taiwanese or American? 5 years?

Nobody talks about "Tiawan", because it's one of the lost provinces of Atlantis. Nothing to talk about until we find it..

:D

Back