Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 64654555657 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1137
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanola View Post
    The Imperial system is more practical. Half something, a quarter of something, an eighth. Division by twelve is also smarter than by ten.
    That has NOTHING to do with either system.

2. Likes converterking liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneH' View Post
    What you really mean is that you want the Government to force us to use meters, grams and liters, right?

Gene
    This is going back to post #2.

Why would any government give a damn? The only ones to really decide are those that produce something and believe going with a certain system will help sales.

In Scotland they gave up selling elastic by the meter as it kept breaking.

Y'all keep blaming "government" for your woes yet still keep on voting the same type into office. Genuine masochism

4. Likes converterking, CalG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1095 Oldwrench
    "Aaaaand that's why you're on Ignore.".
    Ditto.
    Then someone else quotes him and the PM software is unable to perform transitive ignoration.

6. Likes Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Gordon B. Clarke;3235518]This is going back to post #2.

Why would any government give a damn? The only ones to really decide are those that produce something and believe going with a certain system will help sales.

The only ones to decide to go metric in the UK was the government. The people had no choice and some were fined for selling in imperial measures. Is that what you meant?

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    The only ones to decide to go metric in the UK was the government. The people had no choice and some were fined for selling in imperial measures. Is that what you meant?
    "The people"? Since when have "the people" in the UK had no choice? Of course not all wanted it but why the hell would a government go against "the people"? You write as if nobody wanted it. When you vote do you close your eyes and just make an X?

"some were fined for selling in imperial measures". "Some"? - why not all? They were breaking the law and if you get caught speeding you'll also be fined.

I guess you aren't one of these: scientists, philosophers and engineers have been at the forefront of the development of metrication in the UK.

Metrication in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

9. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    "The people"? Since when have "the people" in the UK had no choice? Of course not all wanted it but why the hell would a government go against "the people"? You write as if nobody wanted it. When you vote do you close your eyes and just make an X?

"some were fined for selling in imperial measures". "Some"? - why not all? They were breaking the law and if you get caught speeding you'll also be fined.

I guess you aren't one of these: scientists, philosophers and engineers have been at the forefront of the development of metrication in the UK.

Metrication in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia
    Once again a nasty reply from the man who knows everything.
    Metrication was passed into law by the UK government with no reference to the British people. Please tell me how the people could have a choice when a decision has already been made. Voting against them at the next election would have been too late and the rest of their policies may have been exactly what the people wanted.
    You only get fined for speeding in the UK if you get caught, no idea how it works in Denmark. One market stallholder was taken to court and a fund was set up by the public to pay his costs. That is one example.
    I had no axe to grind in the metrication decision,I used both decisions for years and had no problems switching back and forth.
    I guess you aren't one of these: brain surgeon,rocket scientist or human being.

11. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Correct, I live with the meter-kilogram-second system. Second is universal, at least as far as I know does one count 60 seconds to the minute in the USA, too. I think it is no shame to know some about the Imperial units. As already mentioned somewhere, the inch is derived from a human physical thing, the width of the thumb. The foot, clear thing. The darn meter is an abstractly erected thing, what is a meter long in nature? Nothing

A way bigger problem is the computer that helps fools click together fridge drawers that have deep narrow cavities no man can put a hand down into. Each time I clean out the frigo I utter a curse tirade. These idiots never do honest work like householding.

13. Likes Steven-Canada liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Once again a nasty reply from the man who knows everything.
    Metrication was passed into law by the UK government with no reference to the British people. Please tell me how the people could have a choice when a decision has already been made. Voting against them at the next election would have been too late and the rest of their policies may have been exactly what the people wanted.
    You only get fined for speeding in the UK if you get caught, no idea how it works in Denmark. One market stallholder was taken to court and a fund was set up by the public to pay his costs. That is one example.
    I had no axe to grind in the metrication decision,I used both decisions for years and had no problems switching back and forth.
    I guess you aren't one of these: brain surgeon,rocket scientist or human being.
    Boohoo bloody hoo. I survived with no problem with the imperial system for the first 22 years of my life. Having now being used to both systems I could live with either but I find the metric system both easier and more logical.

Jeez. Where the hell do you get fined for anything if you aren't caught?

15. Likes converterking liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Correct, I live with the meter-kilogram-second system. Second is universal, at least as far as I know does one count 60 seconds to the minute in the USA, too. I think it is no shame to know some about the Imperial units. As already mentioned somewhere, the inch is derived from a human physical thing, the width of the thumb. The foot, clear thing. The darn meter is an abstractly erected thing, what is a meter long in nature? Nothing

A way bigger problem is the computer that helps fools click together fridge drawers that have deep narrow cavities no man can put a hand down into. Each time I clean out the frigo I utter a curse tirade. These idiots never do honest work like householding.
    Inch, unit of British Imperial and United States Customary measure equal to 1/36 of a yard. The unit derives from the Old English ince, or ynce, which in turn came from the Latin unit uncia, which was “one-twelfth” of a Roman foot, or pes.

A doorway is about a meter wide, but it's more than two meters high. The height to a door handle is about a meter. A small child can be a meter high.

I'm perfectly OK with 60 minutes in an hour and 360º in a circle. I guess almost everybody is too.

17. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now if we wanted to get into "angular" measurement systems, We could all feel we were pushing a chain up hill!

DMS
    Radians and milliradians
    Gradians
    percent?

WTF! Which one is in the Imperial camp, and which in ... what ever....

Do they use 4.75 mm screws on aircraft built in ISO nations?

We use a lot of them here... Millions of dollars worth each year.

Hmmm.... maybe there is a connection....

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    Surely not and rivets prevail. Maybe screws are used with the motors. M 7 LH or such

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Surely not and rivets prevail. Maybe screws are used with the motors. M 7 LH or such
    10-32 is a very common call out for structure on any aircraft component.
    They won't do as replacements for bottle bolts that hold the wings on, but if one uses enough of 'em....

Curios,

In the imperial world of aviation fasteners,

one number 8 fastener is worth 2 number 6
    one number 10 fastener is equal to 2 number 8
    one 1/4 inch fastener is equal to 2 number 10.

Go figure. an often over looked logic to the progression.

Of course, one could jump grade from mil to NAS and upset the progression. But that would be cheap. ;-)

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post

We use a lot of them here... Millions of dollars worth each year.

Hmmm.... maybe there is a connection....
    I'm certain there is a "connection" with screws

I doubt very much if 4.75 mm screws are used any where.

As I've already stated I find metric both easier and more logical in my daily life than imperial. OTOH I've not the least problem with 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week and not all months having 30 days. Even all years not having 365 days doesn't disturb my sleep.

To most (?) of us this year is 2018 but it isn't many other places.
    Calendars Worldwide
    Hindu Calendar
    Buddhist Calendar
    Islamic Calendar
    Jewish Calendar
    Persian Calendar
    Chinese Calendar
    Coptic Calendar
    Ethiopian Calendar
    Revised Julian Calendar
    Mayan Calendar

22. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Boohoo bloody hoo. I survived with no problem with the imperial system for the first 22 years of my life. Having now being used to both systems I could live with either but I find the metric system both easier and more logical.

Jeez. Where the hell do you get fined for anything if you aren't caught?
    Why on earth are you crying Godron? Surely it's not because you survived ( strange choice of word)the imperial system.
    Whether you prefer the metric system or not has absolutely no bearing on what the USA chooses to use.
    Please remember, you decided to bring the police into the discussion, I just humoured you.
    If you need another little cry please do it before you reply.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why on earth are you crying Godron? Surely it's not because you survived ( strange choice of word)the imperial system.
    Whether you prefer the metric system or not has absolutely no bearing on what the USA chooses to use.
    Please remember, you decided to bring the police into the discussion, I just humoured you.
    If you need another little cry please do it before you reply.
    Grow up an stop being childish. I doubt if you "humour" anyone.

Your profile says it all:
    Biography:
    Served apprenticeship on turret and sliding head ,am now basically retired but cant stop babbling.

25. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Grow up an stop being childish. I doubt if you "humour" anyone.

Your profile says it all:
    Biography:
    Served apprenticeship on turret and sliding head ,am now basically retired but cant stop babbling.
    Sorry Godron but you are wrong again, my profile says can't stop dabbling.
    Dabbling means I keep my hand in, babbling means having a little cry, just as you said you were. I tell you this because you only use English 1% of the time.
    Your words,not mine.
    Your request that I grow up and stop being childish will be complied with when you are just a few steps behind me, start growing up now Gordo before it's too late. Time and tide wait for no man, and you are not a man yet.

Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

28. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default private messages

Mr. Clarke, I have told you before that I will not open PMs from you. Anything you have to say in reply to my posts please use the forum. I do not send you PMs and I would prefer it if you would do the same to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1081 Blough.
    "Okay so other than my smartass remarks" (#1061).
    Well I thought it was a dumbass remark.
    As did #1063, #1065, #1069, #1074, #1076.

"Along with their language being more mathematically relative"

Please tell us about the collective additional linguistic mathematical relativity of the leading rice growing countries: vis a vis, for example, those of wheat growing countries.

Changed my mind, don't tell us.

"they do not have "Left" and "Right" in their language"

#1089 Blough.
    "Guugu Yimithirr does not use words like “left” or “right,” “in front of” or “behind,” to describe the position of objects"

You seem to be alone in being impressed by this, and believing it is significant, important, and somehow relevant to this thread.

"egocentric co-ordinates". Also known as sensible, useful, terms.

It might explain why they are still in the Neolithic and do not have plans for a satellite launch.

I think they might have problems with the telephone and mail.

"When the child is fully anesthetised, amputate the leg nearest to the North-North-East end of the operating theatre. Then throw the shoe, that would have fitted the child's foot before it was amputated, in the waste bin".

"When the child is fully anesthetised again, amputate the child's remaining leg. Then throw the child's other shoe in the waste bin."

"Then write a letter of apology to the parents. Explain that due to the orientation of the operating theatre in the hospital the mistake was unavoidable. Use the standard letter, which we have on file, excusing the fact that 50% of amputations are performed on the wrong limb".

Time I had a few barleycorns of a liquid made from barleycorns.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mr. Clarke, I have told you before that I will not open PMs from you. Anything you have to say in reply to my posts please use the forum. I do not send you PMs and I would prefer it if you would do the same to me.
    Why do you insist on writing idiotic remarks to me and expect others to want to read them?

You've started one thread in 3 years. Get a life of your own.

32. Likes converterking liked this post