Results 1,121 to 1,137 of 1137
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ManicMetalBasher View Post
    #1081 Blough.

"they do not have "Left" and "Right" in their language"

#1089 Blough.
    "Guugu Yimithirr does not use words like “left” or “right,” “in front of” or “behind,” to describe the position of objects"

You seem to be alone in being impressed by this, and believing it is significant, important, and somehow relevant to this thread.

"egocentric co-ordinates". Also known as sensible, useful, terms.

It might explain why they are still in the Neolithic and do not have plans for a satellite launch.

I think they might have problems with the telephone and mail.
    Interesting social commentary. But who are these people?

I recently read "The Black Book" By Orham Pamuk. set in Istanbul.
    The translator made mention that is typical of the Turks to leave out the details about just WHO did the action. You know, like I , We, and He, She, or they.

So something occurred, but no one is saying "who dun it".

I like the idea! Intrigue in day to day discourse.

We "westerner's" are So, So picky about our facts, grammar, syntax and usage. Makes me want to ...ahh .....appreciate options!

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Time I had a few barleycorns of a liquid made from barleycorns.
    A "few barleycorns" sound more like a wee drop than a good sized drink.

Three drunken guys entered a taxi after a heavy night of drinking.
    Immediately realizing that the men were inebriated, he quickly thought up a plan to get rid of them.
    He started the engine, turned it off again and said: “We have reached your destination".
    “Alright pal, here you go,” said the first guy as he gave him the money.
    The second guy thanked him enthusiastically.
    The third guy slapped him across the face with brute force.
    "What was that for?" Yelled the surprised driver, thinking he was caught.
    "Next time don't go so fast! You nearly killed us!"

3. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Warning, irrelevant content, you will probably not benefit from reading this.

Forgot to log in.
    What happens? The comment, which is supposed to be hidden, is visible.
    In this case, which I intend to make a very rare exception, I will respond.

#1122 GBC
    "A "few barleycorns" sound more like a wee drop than a good sized drink"

A barleycorn is old linear measurement, which I used since it had not been used before in this thread. A thread whose subject is (or maybe was) measurement systems, and which already includes references to obsolescent or obsolete units of measurement.

A few is an indeterminate integer, greater than 2 (a couple) but less than 7 (several).

Used in the same manner as the North American "two fingers of Bourbon". Therefore the minimum depth of alcoholic liquid (made from barleycorns, typically whisky) will be three barleycorns, approximately one inch. Where I live this is much more than a wee drop. YMMV in Denmark/Scotland.

End of explanation.

I am now going to the pub, where I shall hold my glass above the floor. I shall hold my glass, below the ceiling, in a manner which prevents the contents leaving under the efects of gravity. I shall consume as many glasses of beer as it takes to reduce me to the state of an Australian aborigine who has lost their inherent, infallible, superior, internal compass. I shall then go on a staggerabout, shouting UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, BACK and FORWARD, until someone who knows me, guides me home.

I intend to learn from this process. In future my policy will be, do not respond to people on PM who are posting complete bollocks, unless there is some overriding reason.

You were warned.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Forgot to log in.

#1122 GBC

A barleycorn is old linear measurement, which I used since it had not been used before in this thread. A thread whose subject is (or maybe was) measurement systems, and which already includes references to obsolescent or obsolete units of measurement.

A few is an indeterminate integer, greater than 2 (a couple) but less than 7 (several).

Used in the same manner as the North American "two fingers of Bourbon". Therefore the minimum depth of alcoholic liquid (made from barleycorns, typically whisky) will be three barleycorns, approximately one inch. Where I live this is much more than a wee drop. YMMV in Denmark/Scotland.

End of explanation.

I am now going to the pub, where I shall hold my glass above the floor. I shall hold my glass, below the ceiling, in a manner which prevents the contents leaving under the efects of gravity. I shall consume as many glasses of beer as it takes to reduce me to the state of an Australian aborigine who has lost their inherent, infallible, superior, internal compass. I shall then go on a staggerabout, shouting UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, BACK and FORWARD, until someone who knows me, guides me home.

I intend to learn from this process. In future my policy will be, do not respond to people on PM who are posting complete bollocks, unless there is some overriding reason.

You were warned.
    Meahh.. One strong struggle to instigate some measure of relief from this f*****g farce that will not just DIE deserves an answer in kind.. "Discoveries" then, along the never-ending timeline of its insane snail-trail..

Here's one for yah. Made from the dead carcasses of members of the citrus tribes, among other things, and waaay nicer in a decent coffee than you might expect. Partly for NOT leaving a nasty backtaste like stale wimmin or old socks, dram boo-yah style:

Licor 43 Cuarenta Y Tres Liqueur : The Whisky Exchange

Tipped a twinkle of it into an otherwise Thai-style lemon-pepper/ginger chicken dish last night, and it was lovely! Hot chicken rather than cold-turkey, but wot the hey, "metric" enough, origin country and bottle-size, yah?

"Where's the BEEF, you say?". Ummh, marinating in Sandeman's "Fundador" port, actually. That too is "metric enough".

More to the point, makes a lovely gravy of the most irregular and metrology-system-defying Portobello 'shrooms, too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the first page of this thread seemed so coherent, the last page makes me wonder if someone spiked my smoke

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tay2daizzo8 View Post
    the first page of this thread seemed so coherent, the last page makes me wonder if someone spiked my smoke
    When any thread gets to the number of posts this has it'd be weird if it kept on track.

Old but relevant: The USA is going metric - inch by inch.

8. Likes converterking, fusker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tay2daizzo8 View Post
    the first page of this thread ...
    was posted by Juergen.

Anyone knows where or how he is?

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From the OP started 10 years ago:

"This is the very first step the Obama administration must take before it can start even contemplating a rescue plan for our industry."

We all know that the present administration would do anything it could to repeal if Obama had succeeded in doing much about it.

11. Likes converterking liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    was posted by Juergen.

Anyone knows where or how he is?
    The last time he posted was 08-16-2018 so that isn't so long ago. I don't blame him if he wants to stay well away from this thread now.

13. Likes converterking liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all. I am doing fine. The US is going metric, just everybody for himself and not in an orderly way. Mostly everybody in our business has had to deal with this. To bad. 25.4 still rules. To bad for our children who will still need a converted weather forecast. At least most can now handle Liters and Kilometers and Kilograms so they can at least understand what they are hearing and seeing when traveling to other countries. That in itself is progress. All of us are now 10 years older. So are our inch based
    manual machines. To all of you imperial diehards - happy converting for the next ten years and on and on and on????
    Btw: Any other nation change back to imperial? Just about as many as have changed to an American style health care system.
    I do not mind if someone criticizes me. Just keep it civil. The worst thing that could happen to us is becoming a nation of screaming like-minded people.
    Some dark clouds on the horizon.

15. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by juergenwt View Post
    Thank you all. I am doing fine. The US is going metric, just everybody for himself and not in an orderly way. Mostly everybody in our business has had to deal with this. To bad. 25.4 still rules. To bad for our children who will still need a converted weather forecast. At least most can now handle Liters and Kilometers and Kilograms so they can at least understand what they are hearing and seeing when traveling to other countries. That in itself is progress. All of us are now 10 years older. So are our inch based manual machines. To all of you imperial diehards - happy converting for the next ten years and on and on and on????
    Btw: Any other nation change back to imperial? Just about as many as have changed to an American style health care system.
    I do not mind if someone criticizes me. Just keep it civil. The worst thing that could happen to us is becoming a nation of screaming like-minded people.
    Take care or some are going to think you're me LOL

17. Likes converterking liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So are our inch based manual machines. To all of you imperial diehards - happy converting for the next ten years and on and on and on
    What inch-based manual machines?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all. I am doing fine. The US is going metric, just everybody for himself and not in an orderly way. Mostly everybody in our business has had to deal with this. To bad. 25.4 still rules. To bad for our children who will still need a converted weather forecast. At least most can now handle Liters and Kilometers and Kilograms so they can at least understand what they are hearing and seeing when traveling to other countries. That in itself is progress. All of us are now 10 years older. So are our inch based
    manual machines. To all of you imperial diehards - happy converting for the next ten years and on and on and on????
    You ain't a bad sort. Ten years on, and still adrift?

Clearly not YOUR "personal" fault you have trouble managing six or a dozen simultaneous measurement systems with near-zero effort. Just a genetic dice-roll as put you at a disadvantage to average Americans is all.

"Orderly way?" That's the guy as empties hospital bedpans, yah?

Change any of the MANY bespoke measurement systems we enjoy? Not likely.

But you may be able to claim Social Security Disability for the handicap of being unable to what everyone one ELSE can do, yah?

Europe only mandated one-system (doesn't really) fit-all by fiat so as to save on disability payments to their own poor "challenged" souls, as lack the brain power to do that with ease after all. Take Gordon for example. Please take Gordon.

It isn't about which "system" is superior.

It's about superior people smart and flexible enough to handle ANY AND ALL "systems" at-will and with low-no stress over any of that ...as constitutes the REAL advantage.

Want to dumb-down yer kids? Your call.

Denmark will find a place for them.

Serving two 45.4 gram patties of BigMac at better than USD$ 20 an hour to Crown Princess Mary?

That "royally" beats the rate of many a job making chips of metal, so "where's the beef".

Oh.. welll.. probably NOT in the burger, but that's another "dark clouds" story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for poking back in Juerg!

The Original Post made this "metrification issue" sound like some sort of doomsday prediction.
    And here we all are , Ten Years After,....;-) Ten Years After- I'd love to change the world - YouTube

My three kids are all adults now and are having no difficulty buying groceries, gas, or NAS hardware (The eldest is a robotics engineer, mostly military contracts)

It actually might be a GOOD THING to be behind the rest of the other nations in respect to the measurement system. It appears the entire world is heading down hill (at least politically and socially).
    To be behind in a race to the bottom is actually to be ahead!

For me, I can't pick up a tub of flour and gestimate how many kilos it might weigh like I can when I do the hoisting in pounds (comparing to 1# and 5# units which are pretty common at the stores I go to.

But even that "skill" isn't much use anymore, since the suppliers are using "creative packaging" to sell 14 oz of product for the same cost as what only recently purchased a full pound. What good are standardized units anyway? Heck, a push of a couple of buttons on the phone will convert and COMPARE costs around the world.

Times are changing, and I would say that getting the US to officially adopt the mks system is way down on the list of pressing issues.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    ..getting the US to officially adopt the mks system is way down on the list of pressing issues.
    It has been legal since 1866, reaffirmed at least twice since.

Juergen in't ON about a measurement system. It's a Dictatorship as could make something - ANYTHING really - mandatory and exclusive so he didn't need to THINK.

Wrong country for that.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Forgot to log in.

#1122 GBC

End of explanation.

You were warned.
    "Much ado about nothing"?

23. Likes converterking liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    It actually might be a GOOD THING to be behind the rest of the other nations in respect to the measurement system. It appears the entire world is heading down hill (at least politically and socially).
    To be behind in a race to the bottom is actually to be ahead!
    Have you been hiding under a rock the past few decades? I'd love to hear your arguments for that statement. That includes specifying which industrial countries are "...heading down hill politically and socially".

25. Likes converterking liked this post