Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i like being a machinist and make ok money. maybe $90,000 this year. on track to collect $110,000/yr when retired
    been at many places people miserable hate their job dont want to be there. been at places where they got rid of people about 5 to 10% a year. when they got rid of the people who didnt want to be there, all that was left were people who wanted and like their job and were a lot nicer to each other.
    it really made the place a lot nicer to work at, getting rid of the miserable people who didnt want to be there anyway. many people wont leave unless they loose job. they are miserable staying at a job but wont quit the job. they will be miserable and unhappy for decades.
    also seen people go middle age crazy. at over 40 and especially over 50 some people really go crazy. do strange things. hard to describe. seen it many times

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pressbrake1 View Post
    Id rather have a job I hate at a wage that would allow me to live a good life instead of a job I like that I have to do too many hours to afford to live.
    I really wish I could have another go and not accept that apprenticeship for a dying trade at a dying company in a dying county.

In England there is only two things more undesirable to town planning than metalwork. Scrap yards and auto repair
    I don't think you would. At least not for long. If you know what you really would like to do then think about how you might achieve that - including emigrating.

3. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pressbrake1 View Post
    Id rather have a job I hate at a wage that would allow me to live a good life instead of a job I like that I have to do too many hours to afford to live.
    I really wish I could have another go and not accept that apprenticeship for a dying trade at a dying company in a dying county.

In England there is only two things more undesirable to town planning than metalwork. Scrap yards and auto repair
    Trouble is in Britain,machining has been a Cinderella trade for a long time. Main reason,I think,why youngsters aren't interested now-far better to go to Uni. I read somewhere that the mechanical trades suddenly became "humdrum"shortly after the Great Exhibition. Before that,they were grouped with "the Arts". Even so,long before the G E,Clement really got mucked about by Babbage when building his Difference engine. Personally,I've always found the money in machining pretty c..p,but still wouldn't want to do anything else. The satisfaction of seeing things work out is worth a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guys who get their hands dirty have always been looked down on in the UK, even the ones who made good money doing it.

Every engineering shop I worked in had one law for the guys on the shop floor and another law for the people upstairs.

A pal of mine was helping a truck driver unsheet the load on his truck. The guy was helping during his lunch break, mainly because he was that sort of guy. He'd put a ladder up and it slipped on a wet floor. My pal fell down off the ladder and broke his arm.

Result- about 8 weeks off work on half pay.

Another pal who was one of the wages clerks upstairs in the general office broke his arm playing rugby league on the very next weekend.

Result - about 8 weeks off on full pay.

Where I served my apprenticeship the toilets in the works were labelled " Men " and " Women ". In the office they were labelled " Ladies " and " Gentlemen ".

You have to live here to know the lack of of regard engineers are held in.

Regards Tyrone.

6. Likes tdmidget, TedinNorfolk, adama liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah it took me a long time to realize the real way to make money in this game is to use this game to make something to sell, then make money on the selling the something part, because cutting metal gets you no were over here.

Class divides are common and its not going to change for generations as yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Guys who get their hands dirty have always been looked down on in the UK, even the ones who made good money doing it.

Every engineering shop I worked in had one law for the guys on the shop floor and another law for the people upstairs.

A pal of mine was helping a truck driver unsheet the load on his truck. The guy was helping during his lunch break, mainly because he was that sort of guy. He'd put a ladder up and it slipped on a wet floor. My pal fell down off the ladder and broke his arm.

Result- about 8 weeks off work on half pay.

Another pal who was one of the wages clerks upstairs in the general office broke his arm playing rugby league on the very next weekend.

Result - about 8 weeks off on full pay.

Where I served my apprenticeship the toilets in the works were labelled " Men " and " Women ". In the office they were labelled " Ladies " and " Gentlemen ".

You have to live here to know the lack of of regard engineers are held in.

Regards Tyrone.

I worked at a place where I dated a girl from 'upstairs' It was highly frowned upon and this was in the nineties!!

Dirty brainless works with hands monkey, funny thing was I was the only person there with a degree!

Not that long ago I did a walk in job for someone. He told me he worked in rates enforcement for the council and it was taxing (literally) and I was lucky to have a job / business were I didn't have to think

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    Among the several Brits I have known during my career who owned machine shops, that was their main reason for moving to the USA.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    Yeah it took me a long time to realize the real way to make money in this game is to use this game to make something to sell, then make money on the selling the something part, because cutting metal gets you no were over here.

And yet look at where it gets you if you are good at kicking a ball.

218 richest footballers in the world [See top 13] - Daily Post Nigeria