What's new
What's new

xometry uses AI to match manufacturers to hard to find parts

Street

Hot Rolled
Just in the washington post, i could not read it as i don't subscribe but got the heading,
they plan to have a IPO.Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 11.00.45 pm.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 11.00.45 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 11.00.45 pm.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 113
Download the Brave browser, it can usually get by being blocked because you haven't subscribed. I just got on Wapo with it. I only go there for local sports stories, even their sports page has liberal political BS scattered across it. There is a Xometry thread here which will answer your question about good deals for machine shops. Ignore what AS9100 says, he was exposed as a poser and a con man.

Does a machine shop get a good deal out of them would be the question?

It's possible, but rare. I'm coming up on 1 year with Xometry. 95/100 jobs offered are dismissed immediately on account of I can't do them, or the pricing is completely bonkers. Of the remaining 5, I might counteroffer on 1 or 2 and see if they bite. I almost never take a job for the initial offer price.

Just like Gollum and the Ring, I love and hate Xometry, They have allowed me to scrape together a decent year, but at the cost of many, many hours chasing jobs, and of the jobs I did land, making maybe 75% of my nominal shop rate.

I have to laugh when Xometry goes on about their "AI" capabilities. My profile says nothing under $200 (every job entails minimum 2 hours for paperwork, processing, inspection, packaging, etc.), parts no larger than 30" x 16" x 16", 3-axes only, no anodize (yes, I can outsource anodize but that usually screws up the schedule). And yet every day, I am offered jobs paying $80, 45" long parts, obvious 5-axis requirements, and anodize.

Regards.

Mike

I have to laugh when Xometry goes on about their "AI" capabilities. My profile says nothing under $200 (every job entails minimum 2 hours for paperwork, processing, inspection, packaging, etc.), parts no larger than 30" x 16" x 16", 3-axes only, no anodize (yes, I can outsource anodize but that usually screws up the schedule). And yet every day, I am offered jobs paying $80, 45" long parts, obvious 5-axis requirements, and anodize.
Genuine Stupidity beats Artificial Intelligence every time ...

Oldest scam in creation...middleman takes 25% off the top without risking a penny.........second oldest ,taxation is the oldest.
Better bump those both up one notch, jk ... there's another one even older :D

Street, if you really want to read Washington Post just turn off javascript temporarily. Or permanently, if you like, it's a piece of shit anyhow :)

Back