Are you being told the truth about Global Warming? - Page 11
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hightemp View Post
    I don't see any contradiction? I'm well aware that insects and fish, etc make up most of the animal life. That's why I was talking about mammals.

Whales, deer, mice, wolves, bears, all the marsupials, etc. All combined equal 4% of all mammals.

So, success in your mind means utter domination of everything else? And a different viewpoint means self-loathing?
    OK. To start with, the famous "60% reduction in wildlife over past 40 years" is misleading and inaccurate.

Have We Really Killed 60 Percent of Animals Since 1970? - The Atlantic

While some species absolutely have suffered dramatic declines others have been far less affected. Where I live, suburban Boston, We have huge amounts of birds along with common animals like squirrels and rabbits. Rabbits have become so common that about 50% of the time I step outside my door I flush a rabbit. Less often seen, especially during daytime, are raccoons, possums, foxes, coyotes and fishers. The last bear that wandered in was a couple years ago but it is a periodic occurrence. There are deer on the other side of town.

The problem is balance and how well humans coexist with wildlife. In poorer places such as parts of Africa meat hungry people consume "bush meat", which could be anything including monkeys and apes. As they become more affluent the wildlife fares better.

People have to live and so do animals. The question is which lives are worth more. I see a lot of talk including on this forum about the need to "reduce population". I wonder what the details would look like. Who gets to choose and how would they accomplish the reduction? Possibilities range from voluntary reductions to limits on reproduction and even for some, "culling" of surplus population.

I've long supported the idea of conservation, which allows the preservation of wildlife and their habitats while still allowing for human growth.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by standardparts View Post
    Like any nuclear reactor project it probably ends up being about "not in my back yard"(location), money, and Gov't participation.

Sounds like Gates and Buffett have found a way.

Supposedly, at this time it will be fueled conventionally using uranium.
    A lot of people are the same way with solar and wind farms. they are fine with them as long as they don't have to look at them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CITIZEN F16 View Post
    A lot of people are the same way with solar and wind farms. they are fine with them as long as they don't have to look at them.
    Yeah, it's a long running thing with certain cheerleaders for change....They recoil in horror at pollution generated by oil consuming powerplants but have now problem traveling as the lone passenger in their private jet. Think you will see a wind tower at one of the Obama estates? Fat chance.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    I think we may have some small influence on the current cycle but not enough to really make a difference. On the inverse there is no way to stop or reverse the cycle.

The cycle is constantly changing, albit slowly. So the process is moving along a little bit at a time but always moving. It's not a linear change, weather varies.

Remember the hole in the ozone layer, what a hot button topic that was...until they figured out it moved on its own and we had no control over it.
    I'm surprised that you can have such a view and still have Internet access.

Weather changes from week to week. The climate changes from decade to decade. Since we increased the atmosphere's CO2 concentration by a third and doubled its methane concentration, the change has been in the direction of hot. We can limit the extent of that change if we get our fingers out of our collective arses, but our great grandchildren will still be cursing us for the change that they have to endure.

Ever heard of the Montreal Protocol?

5. Likes Screwmachine, neilho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post

Weather changes from week to week. The climate changes from decade to decade. Since we increased the atmosphere's CO2 concentration by a third and doubled its methane concentration, the change has been in the direction of hot. We can limit the extent of that change if we get our fingers out of our collective arses, but our great grandchildren will still be cursing us for the change that they have to endure.

Mark

The trend toward "hot" started with the recession of the last glacial period. With many cyclic excursions in both directions since. The earth has been much warmer than it is now, and it has been much colder. Also CO2 levels have been much higher, and these levels always FOLLOW the temperature, It has to do with the oceans and crap like that.

It's not rocket science, but you must pay attention.

7. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember the hole in the ozone layer, what a hot button topic that was...until they figured out it moved on its own and we had no control over it.
    Not quite, the ozone problem was fluorocarbons at some particular height, by changing refrigerants and the pressure agents in spray cans and so on, they alleviated / fixed / made that problem go away (I'm not up to date on that but it didn't just disappear on its own, people changed their behavior which changed the problem.)

9. Likes Screwmachine liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    Mark

The trend toward "hot" started with the recession of the last glacial period. With many cyclic excursions in both directions since. The earth has been much warmer than it is now, and it has been much colder. Also CO2 levels have been much higher, and these levels always FOLLOW the temperature, It has to do with the oceans and crap like that.

I seem to recall reading that Japan had one of the oldest temperature data sets in the world (together with the UK).
    Here's one
    Japan Meteorological Agency | Tables of Monthly Climate Statistics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So much to respond to but I'll start with the first line.

"I'm surprised that you can have such a view and still have Internet access."

Are you suggesting that Internet access should only be allowed for those with "Correct" views? If so you're on the side of technocratic tyranny.

"Weather changes from week to week. The climate changes from decade to decade"

Yeah, and the computer models vary hugely from week to week for accuracy in predicting weather, yet they claim to be able to predict climate decades out.

Other than the measurable change in atmospheric gasses the rest is speculation and the computer models predicting doom and gloom if we don't "do something now" are based on those assumptions.

And yeah, most of us have heard of the Montreal Protocol. It's a POLITICAL agreement, and one that would widely shift the balance of economic and political power in favor of a few while screwing the rest of us.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where was that change to hot 2 winters ago when it was record cold and froze my water line at the street?

Where was that change to hot when I had to remove 3 feet of snow, then a foot like a week later...and the 10 more a few weeks later.

I'm sorry, weather is a random thing that follows a seasonal pattern. Maybe think about those seasons shifting a bit. Maybe look at record highs and lows and when they were.

The earth is such a large entity with so much open area compared to populated.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mark

CO2 levels are a third higher than in any of the last six interglacial periods and that's all happened in the last hundred years, not the last million...

Here's a simple explanation and refutation of your last claim. There are much more detailed explanations, but they tend to have a lot of big words in them. As for CO2 levels, they are now higher than they have been

14. Likes Screwmachine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where was that change to hot 2 winters ago when it was record cold and froze my water line at the street?

Where was that change to hot when I had to remove 3 feet of snow, then a foot like a week later...and the 10 more a few weeks later.

I'm sorry, weather is a random thing that follows a seasonal pattern. Maybe think about those seasons shifting a bit. Maybe look at record highs and lows and when they were.

The earth is such a large entity with so much open area compared to populated.
    You have to understand how it works. Weather is not climate except when extreme weather can be used to push climate alarmism.

Was that cold weather unusual? Climate Change!

More storms this year? Climate Change! Less storms this year? Climate Change! The "science" is all based on computer models based on assumptions. Everything is THEORY based on observations yet they claim it is established fact. Unlike real science there is no control group (which would require another, identical planet) so everything is guesswork.

It started as Global Cooling, predictions of a new ice age if we didn't "mend our ways". Then it changed to Global Warming after nature didn't cooperate and it got warmer instead of colder, and then it became Climate Change after yet another inconvenient reversal.

Because it's based on assumptions all the data is skewed to "prove" those assumptions and the vaunted "scientific consensus" was achieved by ignoring the thousands of scientists who disagreed with the theories.

If you want to really understand just how absurd the whole business is just watch The Day After Tomorrow where the whole planet is rapidly immersed in a new Ice Age because of "Global Warming".

Throughout, the predictions of these climate alarmists have been shockingly wrong but that never stops them from spewing out their End Of The World As We Know It wild predictions.

Embarrassing Predictions Haunt the Global-Warming Industry - The New American

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    You have to understand how it works. Weather is not climate except when extreme weather can be used to push climate alarmism.

Was that cold weather unusual? Climate Change!

More storms this year? Climate Change! Less storms this year? Climate Change! The "science" is all based on computer models based on assumptions. Everything is THEORY based on observations yet they claim it is established fact. Unlike real science there is no control group (which would require another, identical planet) so everything is guesswork.

It started as Global Cooling, predictions of a new ice age if we didn't "mend our ways". Then it changed to Global Warming after nature didn't cooperate and it got warmer instead of colder, and then it became Climate Change after yet another inconvenient reversal.

Because it's based on assumptions all the data is skewed to "prove" those assumptions and the vaunted "scientific consensus" was achieved by ignoring the thousands of scientists who disagreed with the theories.

If you want to really understand just how absurd the whole business is just watch The Day After Tomorrow where the whole planet is rapidly immersed in a new Ice Age because of "Global Warming".

Throughout, the predictions of these climate alarmists have been shockingly wrong but that never stops them from spewing out their End Of The World As We Know It wild predictions.

Embarrassing Predictions Haunt the Global-Warming Industry - The New American
    I call it normal, sometimes we have warmer winters sometimes we have cold winters, sometimes we have brutal winters. Been that way here for the 40 years I've been alive.

I have noticed seasons shifting though, fall and spring seem shorter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all for your contributions.

A long long time ago, when only 5,000,000 species became extinct every Commiesecond, Mark Rand (who knows a great more than I do about machining) made some juvenile, in my opinion, comment in the loooooong Brexit thread.

I then enquired if Mark was seven years old, Commieumbrage ensued and I have been stalked thenceforth.

#5 in this thread Juvenile Mark.

"
    There you go:-

IPCC 2021 report.

You don't have to worry about an FOI request for a few spreadsheets from a group of cranks, you can see all three thousand nine
    hundred and forty nine pages of the report from the research that the world's governments are sponsoning and are basing their actions on.
    "

"a group of cranks" Translation, anyone who disgrees with the infallible, ineluctable, tenets of Randism.

"the world's governments are sponsoning [sic]"
    I shall spare you a seriatim analysis of "the world's governments".
    The UK is representative.
    Since Edward Heath [PM and alleged kiddy fiddler] lied to the indigenous population of the UK about the intentions of what
    transmogrified into the would-be totalitarian EU, the existence, let alone the prosperity, of the indigines, is not on their priority list.
    The solution to the populace being unwilling to vote for traitors, is :-

"
    Let us import millions of aliens who have a long historical record of both hatred towards us and anti-democratic attitudes.
    We shall then supply homes and benefits, not available to those have contributed, to the new "citizens", then they will
    vote for "us", forever.
    "
    Vote for Saint Donald in 2024, elect him for the third time.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you want to see yanks denying the bleeding obvious ....just look at your telly .....the Pentagon supposedly believing that the corrupt Afgan puppet government would survive one day beyond a US withdrawl......Trump knew it,Biden knew it,the US administration knew it,the Pentagon knew it ......yet they still spread lies for general consumption.

19. Likes digger doug, neilho, camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Statistics, studies and who knows.
    Over my lifetime winter here and north not what it used to be.
    Storms in the summer more violent than used to be.
    Why is who knows, a natural cycle or other.
    One thing you can not tell me is that there has been no change as to when the lake freezes, when I can ride my sleds or the amount of rainfall in a hour.
    I know global and local things are different and there are 10,15 and 20 year cycles but I'm talking 50-60 years.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    If you want to see yanks denying the bleeding obvious ....just look at your telly .....the Pentagon supposedly believing that the corrupt Afgan puppet government would survive one day beyond a US withdrawl......Trump knew it,Biden knew it,the US administration knew it,the Pentagon knew it ......yet they still spread lies for general consumption.

Maybe it's time for the Aussies to have a go at Afghanistan.

The Rooskis tried, The US tried. The Australians must know the way.

I'm still trying to figure out just what is being fought over?

Is it that the Taliban and most Afghanis don't want so many poppy fields?

22. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe it's time for the Aussies to have a go at Afghanistan.

The Rooskis tried, The US tried. The Australians must know the way.

I'm still trying to figure out just what is being fought over?

Is it that the Taliban and most Afghanis don't want so many poppy fields?
    They are occupying Sidney as we speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

... Under current rules the solar panels must be connected to the grid and if the grid goes down you are SOOL. It's not that the panels and inverter don't have the capability, the problem is that in order to switch to off-grid mode you would need a transfer switch and a generation source to sync the inverter to. Most contracts do not allow for disconnecting the inverter from the grid even temporarily and worse yet, the new mandates banning the use of fuels also apply to generators....
    That’s a pretty dodgy answer, one which seems to attempt twisting what I said to make it sound wrong.

I never said battery banks with transfer switches don’t exist. Generac sells one right now(and there are others). What I said was that you cannot connect solar cells to the grid (through an inverter), selling electricity to the utility under Net Zero rules, and then use the cells during a power outage for consumption and to recharge the batteries. If you think otherwise post a link that shows a contract which allows this. The obstacles are not technical but rather legal/business ones.....
    Grid tie solar is regulated at the state level and regs are very different from state to state. I did not address your situation specifically because I do not know Mass. rules. I can tell you however, that VT, NH, ME and NY allow interconnect with battery backup and a combination gridtie standalone inverter that conforms to IEC standards. I agree that legal issues are at play here.

Please point me to the regs showing it's illegal in Mass. After all, you are the poster asserting it. Back it up.

And check that quote "Under current rules the solar panels must be connected to the grid...". That is simply false. If a solar panel installation is not connected to the grid, the Commonwealth authority that regulates grid interties has no authority because there is no intertie.

I do know people in Mass. who are offgrid and have solar panels. One exception disproves the rule.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Vietnam all over again. Didn't learn a damn thing from their involvement with the mujahadeen, either.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    Didn't learn a damn thing from their involvement with the mujahadeen, either.
    The rooskies were aghast when ronnie started handing out rocket launchers. "Are you crazy ? So far they only have spears and horses. Next week they'll be using those new toys on you !"

Even the soviets were smarter than the 'murricans.