What's new
What's new

1/4-20 Screw with Hex and Slot Driver

gkoenig

Titanium
Hi guys-

We're thinking about making our own screw for a product, was wondering if you all could give me some quotes for this guy. Totally cool with tweaking the design for manufacturability, so let me know. Thanks!

e118U95.jpg

I have all my own webbing made. Custom rivets. Custom formulated BASF polymer in our own injection molded hardware. We have our leather tanned for us in our own batches. Most of our mount parts are 5 axis and mill/turned bits...

You really think I'm gonna be cool with an off-the-shelf screw?

What quantity are you looking for? What type of material? I could produce the part for you but I would have to do in 2 ops. This can be expensive.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Loss the slot just do the hex drive, then just about any small chucker can spit them out.
not sure about rotobroaching it with the slot.
assuming you want atleast 1k of them at a time.
a meat job for something like a GT75

Loss the slot just do the hex drive, then just about any small chucker can spit them out.

If I lose the slot, it defeats most of the purpose of making the part.

We make camera accessories. This thing bolts a larger part to the tripod socket of a camera. Since I don't have room in the assembly to provide a flip-up thumb catch, I need to give customers maximum tool options for getting this thing off their camera in the field, and people lose/forget the hex key all the time. The flat slot allows them to use any field expedient screwdriver or coin.

The other thing different from an off-the-shelf screw is the undercut on the threads; we do 2 turns of threading on the other part, and the screw passes through to remain partially captive, so it doesn't get lost.

(in case anyone is wondering why I'm "reinventing the wheel")

Can you take a 1/4-20 SHCS and slot the head, turn relief, call it good? Well, you can, but would you be happy enough with the result? It'd have a 3/16" hex drive, not 9/64".

I don't think the hex is going to last long, you have lost 2 of 6 corners on a tiny hex.

If you want to be cute cut a coin slot designed for some obscure coin and send one with the equipment

not sure about rotobroaching it with the slot.
assuming you want atleast 1k of them at a time.
a meat job for something like a GT75

why not second op the slot, and so what if it cost's more ?

It's a custom fastener, and the OP is willing to pay for a custom fastener.

McMaster-Carr

take those, then get em undercut and slotted in the end. I've done custom fasteners in large orders and it's still not as cheap, or as accurate, as modifying lots of off the shelf fasteners instead.

McMaster-Carr

take those, then get em undercut and slotted in the end. I've done custom fasteners in large orders and it's still not as cheap, or as accurate, as modifying lots of off the shelf fasteners instead.

That was one option I was thinking. The other is to just call China, which I despise... but since I posted this, I have 3 quotes from screw shops in Shenzhen to make these fuckers for between $0.75 and $1. I would be happy to pay double that for an American made screw, but apparently, there isn't a single person looking for a cake job for a GT27 with a broach kit and a milling attachment.

And we wonder why American manufacturing has, let's just call them, troubles...

I made some screws like this minus the hex from 303 stainless. It wasn't too difficult. But I only made 50 for a prototype.

If you could open up the orientation of the slot and hex so that they did not have to be timed to each other any live tool lathe with a sub spit them out.

I know a few shops who could hit your price, but I haven't figured out a way to index the hex to the slot, without a second op. That is why I figured they needed to be cold headed, which I would likely hit up Fastenal and use an Asian source.

I know a few shops who could hit your price, but I haven't figured out a way to index the hex to the slot, without a second op. That is why I figured they needed to be cold headed, which I would likely hit up Fastenal and use an Asian source.

Clocking the broach with the slot:

1- Stop the spindle at an index point.
2- Move the face of the broach to be in contact with the material
3- Turn on the spindle and broach
4- Stop the spindle at the same index point while the broach is at depth.
5- Retract the broach.
6- Come in with the keyway cutter to cut the slot.

(edited to add: the broaches I've used in the past have a brake function to help prevent inadvertent rotation of the broach).

WHAT IS THE QUANTITY? Sorry I had to yell. I own screw machines and make screws and have made them for fellow PM members.

Back