What's new
What's new

1018 spacer 9/16 by 1.25" W/.25 hole

Garwood

Diamond
I'm making a few hundred of these to get things started, but I'd like to know what 1000 (or if there's a minimum qty where cost begins going down?) will cost me. These are not ideal parts for me and there's a mediocre chance I may need hundreds of thousands or more of these yearly.

9/16 (OD not critical at all) CR or HRPO or TGP, doesn't matter as long as it is scale free. Both ends faced to 1.25 +/-.005. A .245-.260 hole through the center. light chamfers or I can tumble them if burr is minimal.

Thanks!

What is the lowest the O.D. can go if someone takes a light cut? My local supplier seems to deliver 1018 rusty.

OD can be as small as .540"

Also, 12L14 is fine provided they aren't too rusty when I get them.

Thanks!

If you want me to quote it out I will. Brown and Sharpe Screw Machines (Cam-Auto's)
right up my alley but not a money maker so its up to you if you want me to quote it competitively.

Let me know through email or PM.

2 months ago I made 500 parts just like this. .2503 hole, 1.125 long, .11/16 O.D. 1215 CS (any screw machine stock is fine) and I use cold drawn material which has an oil coating from drawing. I use oil for coolant and have no rust issues ever. Could go Black Oxide if rust is a worry for you.

If you want me to quote it out I will. Brown and Sharpe Screw Machines (Cam-Auto's)
right up my alley but not a money maker so its up to you if you want me to quote it competitively.

Let me know through email or PM.

2 months ago I made 500 parts just like this. .2503 hole, 1.125 long, .11/16 O.D. 1215 CS (any screw machine stock is fine) and I use cold drawn material which has an oil coating from drawing. I use oil for coolant and have no rust issues ever. Could go Black Oxide if rust is a worry for you.

These will be black oxide finished. Thanks!

Gentleman, I have dozens of quotes on these from 60 cents to 1.20 each. I didn't realize how active this section of the forum is!

Thank you all!

Gentleman, I have dozens of quotes on these from 60 cents to 1.20 each. I didn't realize how active this section of the forum is!

Thank you all!

$1.20, that was me. I am pretty sure that is the first time I was high man on the totem poll on parts like this.

$1.20, that was me. I am pretty sure that is the first time I was high man on the totem poll on parts like this.

About half were right with you on that. Hope the other half aren't losing money?

I really appreciate the time everyone that responded took to give me some numbers. This is new territory for me, both farming stuff out and potentially really big quantities.

I think I will be using this section much more frequently!

About half were right with you on that. Hope the other half aren't losing money?

I really appreciate the time everyone that responded took to give me some numbers. This is new territory for me, both farming stuff out and potentially really big quantities.

At least I wasn't alone on an island. That was a quick fly by the seat of my pants quote. I didn't even call the local metal yard. They have went to delivery only and raised the minimum. I would have to had tossed something else in with it.

My bid was definitely less than $1.20, and I wasn’t losing any money, easy spacer job.

Thank you all!

I did not quote this job but I looked over the one I did a few months ago. I had 500 parts at like .75-.79/ea. The customer told me his other quote was 1.35/ea So I went with 1.00/ea and he was more than happy. And that was only for 500 parts. 1500-2000 is where my pricing gets better, right up to 10k qty.

I did not quote this job but I looked over the one I did a few months ago. I had 500 parts at like .75-.79/ea. The customer told me his other quote was 1.35/ea So I went with 1.00/ea and he was more than happy. And that was only for 500 parts. 1500-2000 is where my pricing gets better, right up to 10k qty.

I know you have a good accumulation of cams, but if not what would a cam set cost to have made outside your shop?
The last cam machines I ran were MS7 Tornos with all the bells and whistles, that was in the late 80's. I was told the came sets were $1,000. That would be about $2,000 today. That was on jobs with back drilling, cross holes and slots. Contact sockets for electrical connectors. Let us say a set to make a simple spacer like this one here.

I know you have a good accumulation of cams, but if not what would a cam set cost to have made outside your shop?
The last cam machines I ran were MS7 Tornos with all the bells and whistles, that was in the late 80's. I was told the came sets were $1,000. That would be about $2,000 today. That was on jobs with back drilling, cross holes and slots. Contact sockets for electrical connectors. Let us say a set to make a simple spacer like this one here.

When I was a kid my dad always had me grab every cam I saw whenever he bought a machine for $200-$500. We bought Greenfield Tap and Die's tool crib in the 90's when they moved and maybe bought out. We have only had 2 sets of cams made in 29 years and they were made outside New England (Chicago I think). I have a lot of phenolic cams for my "00" machines. I can cut them easy and alter them when needed.

Many jobs arent high enough quantities to justify saving a few seconds here and there on having cams made.

I just got (3) # 2 machines and I needed a cam made that I didnt have one close enough on the shelf for. I found National Tool & Cam Co. ? Cutting Tools, Screw Machine Cams | Newington, CT He told me a lead cam for a #2 (9" cam) was like $269 cut and heat treat. I am sure its cheaper for smaller machines. He does Davenports too.

I have plenty of cross slide cams. I can always weld a tab and grind off what i dont need on lead cams. That has always worked up until I realized I waste way more than $300 in down time trying to alter my own cams and make them work. I am cheap though.

It would be nice to have each job with its own set of cams but that is why China took our work years ago. It was always too expensive to tool up.

I also think we spent $1200 on a set with lead and both x-slides for an "OG" (.750" cap). We have a pick off attachment with slotting saw as well. So this may be 1200 for 3-4 cams and maybe a few drills and taps. This job is 12L14 and will run 7-8 hours a day from monday till friday afternoon without sharpening tools.

When I was a kid my dad always had me grab every cam I saw whenever he bought a machine for $200-$500. We bought Greenfield Tap and Die's tool crib in the 90's when they moved and maybe bought out. We have only had 2 sets of cams made in 29 years and they were made outside New England (Chicago I think). I have a lot of phenolic cams for my "00" machines. I can cut them easy and alter them when needed.

Many jobs arent high enough quantities to justify saving a few seconds here and there on having cams made.

I just got (3) # 2 machines and I needed a cam made that I didnt have one close enough on the shelf for. I found National Tool & Cam Co. ? Cutting Tools, Screw Machine Cams | Newington, CT He told me a lead cam for a #2 (9" cam) was like $269 cut and heat treat. I am sure its cheaper for smaller machines. He does Davenports too.

I have plenty of cross slide cams. I can always weld a tab and grind off what i dont need on lead cams. That has always worked up until I realized I waste way more than $300 in down time trying to alter my own cams and make them work. I am cheap though.

It would be nice to have each job with its own set of cams but that is why China took our work years ago. It was always too expensive to tool up.

I also think we spent $1200 on a set with lead and both x-slides for an "OG" (.750" cap). We have a pick off attachment with slotting saw as well. So this may be 1200 for 3-4 cams and maybe a few drills and taps. This job is 12L14 and will run 7-8 hours a day from monday till friday afternoon without sharpening tools.

Thanks for posting this information, and glad you can still make money going old school. Some people do not understand that a smart person using old technology can beat a not so bright person using modern technology, any day of the week.

Back