UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Tinking about setting up a multi for this job Ox ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was thinking about Dual's "Einstein with old tech / Gomer with new tech" statement is all.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 03-25-2020 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Dual's statement - my bad.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about your "Einstein with old tech / Gomer with new tech" statement is all.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    The different sized holes in the wall ?

should work.
    Could work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, it does work.

I have a 6"+ hole in the office wall behind Big Bertha so that I could shove a bar all the way through the headstock and about 3' into the office.
    Had to move storage bins and whatnot to facilitate, but - yes - it worked.

-----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

6. Likes pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Tinking about setting up a multi for this job Ox ?
    My old man used to set up and run Wickman Multi's and also had some Davenport experience. He does not know why we let most of that go to China. They run so damn fast and can make millions of parts cheap.

8. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanASM View Post
    My old man used to set up and run Wickman Multi's and also had some Davenport experience. He does not know why we let most of that go to China. They run so damn fast and can make millions of parts cheap.
    I don't think you "let" anything go to china.
    Rather you couldn't match their low prices.

I'll bet they lost money at those prices, but propped up by the government, held them low just long enough for the business here to wither and die.

How are those prices coming from China now ?
    Could you compete again ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll bet they lost money at those prices, but propped up by the government, held them low just long enough for the business here to wither and die.

Even with 30% tariffs on Chinas goods they are still 5% cheaper than us. Its more of a quality thing. You pay a little extra here for quality. If you can handle the poor quality once in a while or dont need perfect quality it can work out. As in many industries if your competition goes to China and you dont then you are at a disadvantage. If your competition stays in the U.S. and you do as well then thats some healthy competition and can be competitive across the board.

The smaller Davenports take my small work at 10k part qty minimums. The larger Multi's I see more in tier 1 automotive shops. They run with 100k part min qty.

Any job I quoted in the last 5 years that is being done in China I cannot make enough money to pay the overhead on if I match their pricing. I have seen poor quality plating and steels. China not only has cheaper labor but they have cheaper domestic material costs as well as tooling. They save money on us at every corner and we can only compete at higher quality, higher cost parts. The ones that would cost too much to scrap if they made a mistake on.

They can throw away cheap parts and just make more if the customer doesnt accept them. They can only make bad parts a few times before the customer decides to find another supplier.

I get people all the time asking why I cannot come close to the last guys price. I ask them this, "why dont you use him now? There must be a reason he wont make them now. The response is usually, "well he went out of business or retired." Why would someone go out of business or retire if they were making good money? Must have not been profitable making your parts so cheap.

The moral of this story is we cant make parts if we cant make money. Someone else is willing to work for less than us and those are the jobs we miss out on. We have skill and need to use that to our advantage. Gravy jobs are easy for us and easy for China as well. Like my dad always says "if its easy everyone would do it" same goes for manufacturing.

11. Likes Ox, pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think they started at a loss.
    And I am amazed at how they took SO much work from us within a 6 month period while things here - we thought was "slow", turned out the work was simply "gone".

I have never once seen, or heard, of China buying turning machines of any sort at any auctions. (early 2000's when this all went down)
    But I have heard recently from someone that what they did was to copy some old mechanical swiss (?) machine and make oodles of them.

???

I am ready to start a new thread about terrif's in the Owner/Manager section, so make sure to look there.

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think they started at a loss.
    And I am amazed at how they took SO much work from us within a 6 month period while things here - we thought was "slow", turned out the work was simply "gone".

I have never once seen, or heard, of China buying turning machines of any sort at any auctions. (early 2000's when this all went down)
    But I have heard recently from someone that what they did was to copy some old mechanical swiss (?) machine and make oodles of them.

???

I am ready to start a new thread about terrif's in the Owner/Manager section, so make sure to look there.

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

I had a customer this year tell me the fittings they were making in China were on Brown and Sharpe machines. They have the same machines we have here. The issue for them was plating. The parts started coming back rusty and needed to be stripped and re plated. Took the savings right out of going to China.

I also saw an hourly rate for China a while ago for CNC work as follows...

5 axis mill = $40/hr
    3 Axis Mill = $25/hr
    Swiss screw machine = $20/hr
    CNC turret lathe = $15/hr

Same machines we have in America.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanASM View Post
    Same machines we have in America.

"Copies of"

The machines that I heard about very well could have been a mess of B&S knock-offs.
    I don't recall the source (may or may not have been on this site) so I'm not sure if they really knew their bar machines or not.

And for that matter - they very well could have tooled up to mass produce knock-off #2 square base AND a Tornos Bechler BR-20 as well?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Copies of"

The machines that I heard about very well could have been a mess of B&S knock-offs.
    I don't recall the source (may or may not have been on this site) so I'm not sure if they really knew their bar machines or not.

And for that matter - they very well could have tooled up to mass produce knock-off #2 square base AND a Tornos Bechler BR-20 as well?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    My old man said in 91-93 after NAFTA was passed all the auctions were buying whole lots and sending them to Mexico. They wouldnt sell my dad a single machine that he wanted because they were under orders to buy everything and send everything. The cost of labor was so low if they had to waste tons of money and time training people to run them they would, cause they would still be out on top at the end of it.

USMCA has labor laws to prevent NEW auto plants from being built in Mexico without paying them like $16/hr (or so). Another about sourcing more parts from CAN/US/MEX instead of abroad. I was excited for auto work but I now realize I am only qualified for aftermarket production not OEM.

I can make parts for race cars but not mass produced daily drivers