What's new
What's new

8" round Cast Iron or Steel scrap needed

Cosnar16

Cast Iron
Just bought an 8" lathe chuck with no backing plate. Looking to make one for my dividing head.
Before I went to McMaster I thought I'd see if anyone had some (preferably) cast iron, or steel 8" to 8.5" round stock scrap. Looking for about 1.5" thick
Thanks!
Eric

Just bought an 8" lathe chuck with no backing plate. Looking to make one for my dividing head.
Before I went to McMaster I thought I'd see if anyone had some (preferably) cast iron, or steel 8" to 8.5" round stock scrap. Looking for about 1.5" thick
Thanks!
Eric

Go to your local place that cuts steel plate.

The centers they sometimes keep, you will need to grind out the start groove, and weld it up nice and solid.

Thanks!
Eric

Mcmaster will sell ya exactly what you want for $50... seems pretty reasonable and painless...

McMaster-Carr

Mcmaster will sell ya exactly what you want for $50... seems pretty reasonable and painless...

McMaster-Carr
Yes I know. Just checking here first. I'd rather pay someone here than McMaster. Also don't care for how they don't give you a shipping cost at checkout.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

McMaster gets pretty good UPS rates and passes them on. Only time I've been disappointed is when they ship from two different locations (and you can check for that).

Some of the online metals places will ship in a flat rate Priority box - likely cheapest way to go whoever has the piece you want.

Yes I know. Just checking here first. I'd rather pay someone here than McMaster. Also don't care for how they don't give you a shipping cost at checkout.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

McMaster passes on the shipping discount they get from UPS. I have not found any company that charges less for shipping than they do, unless shipping is free.

McMaster passes on the shipping discount they get from UPS. I have not found any company that charges less for shipping than they do, unless shipping is free.

This. I don't even consider the shipping cost when ordering from McM because it's going to be cheap.

Overall I have been happy with McMaster's shipping costs be I do occasionally get frustrated when they charge me $15 to ship 60 pounds of materials and hardware and then the next week they charge me $20 for an envelope with 3 taps. :crazy:

Back