Anynone in Rhode Island or nearby Mass/CT interested in helping out a retired veteran
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Anynone in Rhode Island or nearby Mass/CT interested in helping out a retired veteran

    I am looking for someone with a minimum 15 inch lathe with a spindle capable of taking a 2 inch piece of round stock. I have a 15 minute job that I need help with. My 13 inch lathe is too small. Basically I have a 1-1/2 thick inch round steel disc that is 13 1/2 inches in diameter that has a 2 inch diameter hole bored in the center. A 6 inch long piece of 2 inch keyed shaft has been welded to the disc. If was aligned with a square, but it is not perfect. I need the keyed shaft inserted all the way into a big chuck, and a light finish cut taken off of the round disc to true the shaft with the mounting surface of the disc. I can pay a reasonable amount to have this done, but I cannot afford shop labor rates. I've tried a few machine shops close to me, but they want too much. I do understand it is a small job and it's not cost effective for them to do this for me. I'm hoping I can find a hobby machinist type guy with a big lathe who can help me out. If interested, please contact me through this site. Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterH48 View Post
    I am looking for someone with a minimum 15 inch lathe with a spindle capable of taking a 2 inch piece of round stock. I have a 15 minute job that I need help with. My 13 inch lathe is too small. Basically I have a 1-1/2 thick inch round steel disc that is 13 1/2 inches in diameter that has a 2 inch diameter hole bored in the center. A 6 inch long piece of 2 inch keyed shaft has been welded to the disc. If was aligned with a square, but it is not perfect. I need the keyed shaft inserted all the way into a big chuck, and a light finish cut taken off of the round disc to true the shaft with the mounting surface of the disc. I can pay a reasonable amount to have this done, but I cannot afford shop labor rates. I've tried a few machine shops close to me, but they want too much. I do understand it is a small job and it's not cost effective for them to do this for me. I'm hoping I can find a hobby machinist type guy with a big lathe who can help me out. If interested, please contact me through this site. Thanks
    How far-out and how critical is it, do both sides matter, just the rim, etc. IOW - a "working fit" issue - or just balance?

    And what is it that the 2" keyed shaft is meant to run in or on? Can that not be made to serve as a lathe for truing its own disk?

    Hand-held "gravers" and carpenter's belt-sanders have been used to cut steel for "a while" already.

    Some of us still do that for chamfering, crowning, refacing a flywheel on a motor-vehicle in situ as faster and easier than taking stuff apart or changing a tool set-up.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Posts
    844
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    22
    Likes (Received)
    252

    Default

    If you can wait a couple weeks , I can do it for a six pack.
    I’m in central Ct, but currently hiking in Wyoming, might not have reception after tonight



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,144
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4445
    Likes (Received)
    2095

    Default

    You have to indicate the shaft in 2 planes.

    You have to chuck the disc and indicate the shaft in first. Cutting one side of the disc and the OD. Then flip and indicate off the disc and cut the other face and the OD where the chuck jaws were. Takes a couple passes to clean up a face that size if it's out more than .03" or so. If it's not 1018 the weld HAZ will be rough going.

    Curious how it was made wrong to begin with or why a keyed shaft needs a weld or how a square was involved in any of it.

    Telling machine shops you have an easy 15 minute job and announcing your veteran status qualifies you for a handout wouldn't make me excited to fix your part.

  5. Likes serview, digger doug liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default

    Thank you ripperj. I am in no hurry. Email me when you get back from your trip.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default project at hand

    For those interested, the part I am working on is a home made adapter for mounting a 42 inch flat belt pulley to a large flywheel on an antique engine. I did not make the adapter. It came with the engine when I bought it. I just wanted to make sure the pulley runs as straight and true as possible, so I guess it would be a balance issue. There will be no turning of welded metal involved. The guy I bought the engine from made a steel flange out of a piece of 1.500 thick stock, 13.500 inches in diameter. He then bored a 2.00 inch hole in the center. He purchased a 6 inch long piece of 2 inch ground keyed shaft, inserted it in the bored hole, and then using a machinist square to align it with the disc surface, welded the shaft to the disc. The belt pulley will be mounted on the engine for show purposes only and nothing will be belted to it and driven, hence no load on the pulley. And it will not be turning at high speed. Probably at 75 to 100 RPM. I just want to make sure the pulley turns as straight as possible. Nothing looks worse on an antique engine than a wobbly pulley. And PLEASE, anyone who feels that I am tying to use my military service to obtain a handout, do me a favor and do not bother to respond. It you feel that way about me, I don't want your help. It is insulting and makes me feel sad and disappointed that a person who does not even know me would make such an assumption.

  8. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1470
    Likes (Received)
    2003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    Telling machine shops you have an easy 15 minute job and announcing your veteran status qualifies you for a handout wouldn't make me excited to fix your part.
    Requesting handouts based on ones identity seems to be standard issue these days. Has become a competition of sorts, even an art form.

    While I think ones sex/race/background should be left out completely in a case like this, I personally would be more likely to help a woman stuck on the side of the road then a man.

    I feel as though a woman is not as well versed on mechanical things(generally speaking), and slightly more vulnerable...Sexist of me to say? I don't care.

    In the same way of thinking, I have respect for citizens who have served...They have helped me to grow a business and raise a family in a thriving and safe environment..Even to the point of sacrificing everything...All while I get to go home to my family and live in comfort everyday. Sometimes a small thank you is in order.

    I have no way of knowing if the OP is an actual vet or not, but if I had a machine large enough to help I might just. Unfortunately I only have swiss lathes, much too small to be of any help here.

    Good luck to the OP.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alloy Mcgraw View Post
    Requesting handouts based on ones identity seems to be standard issue these days. Has become a competition of sorts, even an art form.
    Unfortunately it's been a thing with veteran status for decades. Just look at the guys with the clothing and bumper stickers telling everyone that they are a vet. Those are the guys that rode a desk for their entire career, or their military career was the only productive thing they've ever done. The guys who actually did dangerous stuff or who were capable of cultivating an actual life after the military are the ones with humility. Those are the ones who would never ask for special treatment.

  11. Likes Garwood, digger doug liked this post
  12. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    7,359
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    650
    Likes (Received)
    3469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alloy Mcgraw View Post
    I personally would be more likely to help a woman stuck on the side of the road then a man.
    I am somewhat the opposite unless the woman is extremely unattractive. A woman broke down with average looks or better are going to have guys stopping to help right and left. I gave a couple guys a ride a week ago that had been trying to get help for 3 hours and they were outside a bank on a Friday. If they were a couple of attractive women they would have got assistance in 3 minutes.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    7,359
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    650
    Likes (Received)
    3469

    Default

    Wow, guy mentioning he is a retired vet and getting lit up for it, how sad is that? It seems like Trump getting elected has brought out the worst in some people. Now a lot of people think it is offensive to fly an American flag.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1470
    Likes (Received)
    2003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I am somewhat the opposite unless the woman is extremely unattractive. A woman broke down with average looks or better are going to have guys stopping to help right and left. I gave a couple guys a ride a week ago that had been trying to get help for 3 hours and they were outside a bank on a Friday. If they were a couple of attractive women they would have got assistance in 3 minutes.
    Yeah, so between you and me we have everyone covered then.

    Or do we? These days there's 86 genders. In this case...We either assumed genders, discriminated against the other 84 genders, or both....Jeez...

    On another note. I could also see where stopping to help a woman could get a man in a pickle these days. We are presently at a place I never could have envisioned as a kid.

  15. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
  16. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,144
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4445
    Likes (Received)
    2095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Wow, guy mentioning he is a retired vet and getting lit up for it, how sad is that? It seems like Trump getting elected has brought out the worst in some people. Now a lot of people think it is offensive to fly an American flag.
    Nobody asked about his service. I don't care who you are. If you start a conversation with "I'm a Vet and I need..." You're thinking you're more entitled to it than the next guy.

    I served my country. I volunteered expecting nothing in return but experience and a paycheck. I have some friends and family that are pretty fucked up physically from their service and they don't ask for anything or declare it with bumper stickers. The only people I know that announce their service without being asked are not honorable people.

  17. Likes digger doug liked this post
  18. #13
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    Nobody asked about his service. I don't care who you are. If you start a conversation with "I'm a Vet and I need..." You're thinking you're more entitled to it than the next guy.

    I served my country. I volunteered expecting nothing in return but experience and a paycheck. I have some friends and family that are pretty fucked up physically from their service and they don't ask for anything or declare it with bumper stickers. The only people I know that announce their service without being asked are not honorable people.
    BINGO.

    - An ex Infantry Marine

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    7,359
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    650
    Likes (Received)
    3469

    Default

    I don't think vets get treated as well as they should by our government so I cut them some slack.

  20. Likes pianoman8t8 liked this post
  21. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Posts
    844
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    22
    Likes (Received)
    252

    Default Anynone in Rhode Island or nearby Mass/CT interested in helping out a retired veteran

    Holy crap, either offer the guy help or go the F away
    Edit.. Ex Navy submariner

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  22. Likes Joe Miranda, pianoman8t8 liked this post
  23. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    7,359
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    650
    Likes (Received)
    3469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alloy Mcgraw View Post
    Or do we? These days there's 86 genders. In this case...We either assumed genders, discriminated against the other 84 genders, or both....Jeez...
    I actually had to look up what cisgender meant. That is what they call normal people.

  24. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I actually had to look up what cisgender meant. That is what they call normal people.
    "Normal?" That's odd.

    I thot ALL humans had but ONE gender.

    Trysexual.

    Seems young un's will try anything and everything until they find sumthin' cheap and available as feels good.

    Might not be just humans?

    Y'all miss that ABC news video of a COW sniffing the South end of a Northbound CAT?

    Kinda gives a new meaning to being moooo'ned?

    Meanwhile.. back to a 100 RPM - or less - application for the OP's disk.

    Just run it.

    It's a seldom-used demonstrator, not an attitude gyro on Voyager 1, nor that famous all-copper steam-operated brine pump down in the Obersalzburg works as ran a 100 years-plus, non-stop.

  25. Likes yardbird liked this post
  26. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    24,320
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterH48 View Post
    For those interested, the part I am working on is a home made adapter for mounting a 42 inch flat belt pulley to a large flywheel on an antique engine. I did not make the adapter. It came with the engine when I bought it. I just wanted to make sure the pulley runs as straight and true as possible, so I guess it would be a balance issue. There will be no turning of welded metal involved. The guy I bought the engine from made a steel flange out of a piece of 1.500 thick stock, 13.500 inches in diameter. He then bored a 2.00 inch hole in the center. He purchased a 6 inch long piece of 2 inch ground keyed shaft, inserted it in the bored hole, and then using a machinist square to align it with the disc surface, welded the shaft to the disc. The belt pulley will be mounted on the engine for show purposes only and nothing will be belted to it and driven, hence no load on the pulley. And it will not be turning at high speed. Probably at 75 to 100 RPM. I just want to make sure the pulley turns as straight as possible. Nothing looks worse on an antique engine than a wobbly pulley. And PLEASE, anyone who feels that I am tying to use my military service to obtain a handout, do me a favor and do not bother to respond. It you feel that way about me, I don't want your help. It is insulting and makes me feel sad and disappointed that a person who does not even know me would make such an assumption.
    I apologize for the polarized replies. While I do not have a lathe that can turn this item, some ideas:

    1) my first go-to on this is to use a horizontal milling machine as a large gap bed lathe. Unfortunately the spindle on mine will not pass a two inch diameter piece of
    stock.

    2) the two inch shaft is somehow mated to the engine shaft? If this is so, and there is some sort of solid mounting around the adapter when it is wobbling,
    you could in principle face the surface with a long cross slide that would be clamped to the mounting point. Toolpost goes on the cross slide, set up for facing.
    This sort of in-situ turning used to be pretty common at older shops when rebuilding equipment. Suprised that no old-timers have mentioned this.

    If you attempt this route obviously there will be all kinds of dangerous unguarded rotating stuff flying around, don't kill yourself or anyone else, etc etc.

  27. #19
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default

    Update: I am all set with my part. Secondly, I regret now I even mentioned that I am a retired veteran. I will never ever do it again for all of the negativity that it stirred up in this post. I appreciate the positive comments and just pay no mind to the negative ones. Just remember our freedom of speech, which affords anyone to say what they want on here, has been fought for and guaranteed for the last 200 years by veterans who served. And many paid the ultimate price, and did not come home.

  28. Likes LockNut, Joe Miranda liked this post
  29. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Elyria Ohio
    Posts
    1,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3377
    Likes (Received)
    738

    Default

    Thank you for your service and I am glad you are all set.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •