Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ATV case repair

I was told to move my post over here.....

Hello, Im in northern IL and I am looking for a knowledgeable machinist to repair some Honda ATV engine cases for me. New ones are not available. There are a couple guys that do this repair but they are 1 man shops and they are months behind. The repair that is required is super common and there are lots of these cases that need to be repaired and will continue to need repair in the future. I am willing to ship if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How about a little info on what the repair is? Case is cracked from hitting a rock and needs welding?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    How about a little info on what the repair is? Case is cracked from hitting a rock and needs welding?

pics attached. seal bore needs to be machined and surface cut on top, one of the chain guard mounts needs to be drilled/tapped. Needs more weld first.

on other case half, the clutch actuator arm area needs to be re-bored from the top down. there are 2 needle shell bearings that go in there and then an oil passage re drilled from back side.

There are alot of these cases out there broke the same way. There is future demand for this. It would be nice to possibly get the whole sprocket area CMM'd and drawn up in cad for easier machinging and shaping in the future (if that helps). I'm willing to buy more of these cases just to send them out for repair.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210612_210616.jpg   20210612_210621.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

how much were you paying these other 1 man shows to do this repair?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=k/mar;3787802]how much were you paying these other 1 man shows to do this repair?[/QUOTE

They charge in the ball park of $250 to repair the shaft and seal bore and to rebuild the 2 mounts for the chain guard. That includes welding, machining and reshaping. Their reshaping was pretty poor in my opinion which is why I would love to find someone that want to take the time to write a program to CNC this if thats feasable.