What's new
What's new

Broached mild steel coupling - 1.25 - 19 16/32 inv splines

Jay Fleming

Hot Rolled
No drawing available.

1018 mild steel okay, cold rolled round bar, 2.00" OD stock, mill OD finish fine.

1.50" +/- .015 long, .030-.060 x 45 deg chamfer on OD and ID - chamfer dims not critical, just want a significant broken edge.

19T 16/32 30 deg PA involute internal spline. Pic attached of the specs I'm looking for. 1.276 major diameter, 1.125 minor diameter.

Qty 10, shipped to 73068. Please email questions or quotes to jaymfleming at gmail dot com. NO OVERSEAS COMPANIES!

Added pic of what an old part looked like.

Thanks!
80cfff02fe49d8ae52ecbee3441e8e1f.jpg
83b1958409613a27555a828018a54381.jpg

Last edited:
We Hob, Shape, & WEDM, but no Involute Broaching. If they have to be Broached, have you reached out to Jess about these? ( forum member name - reedeprintice )

Should it really matter what process is used for the same final result ?

I can see maybe no EDM for the affected material properties (but not in plain 1018)

why broach only ?

That's the spline used on most splined steering wheel quick-release hubs. Except for ours. I think we still have the 16/32 spline hob but tossed the broach years ago. Call any manufacturer of those hubs, you can find several examples in the aftermarket race car parts catalogs.

A couple people asked about shaping, which is fine. I specifically asked for broaching because of the assumed economics. WEDM is also fine, but again, I'm not looking to spend a fortune because someone has a process that will work. No real deadline, but we'll say 4 weeks to put a number to it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

19T 16/32 30 deg PA involute internal spline. Pic attached of the specs I'm looking for. 1.276 major diameter, 1.125 minor diameter.
You probably want to specify by an MOW for an involute, not major and minor diameters. It shouldn't touch on either one, so those numbers are not that important.

If someone has a broach that's cool but in most cases, you'll end up shaping this. Broaches don't grow on trees. Pioneer Broach in California does have a big selection, if you want to give them a call.

Back