What's new
What's new

Carbide Dowel Pin

nofxz

Aluminum
I am looking for carbide dowel pins.
3mm or 1/8th Diameter or maybe 3/16th....
Between 4 or 7 or 3/16 or 1/4 Length.
Any one know where to source these.

OP might be needing them to regrind into specific cutting tools, not for use as actual dowel pins for alignment.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I have been resisting doing EDC items as a stop gap for work but I am going to try my hand at a fidget spinner. The mass per cubic inch is higher then that of brass and SS. I thought maybe tungsten dowels had a use and were available for something I did not know about. I have found my requested diameter in 6 inch rods but I was hoping to find a completed dowel, that would not break me trying to finish.

I have to ask how a fidget spinner is worthwhile as an every day carry item? Or does your usage of EDC mean something else?

I have to ask how a fidget spinner is worthwhile as an every day carry item? Or does your usage of EDC mean something else?
Everyday carry toys like tops and spinners are somehow very popular right now. All the custom knifemakers are making them with Damascus scraps and open 608 skate bearings.

I made one and couldn't figure out the appeal. My EDC is too slimline and I'm too particular about my carry. Only proven lightweight gear gets counted on.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Mass drop has them listed under EDC and the kids on Instagram describe it as such. Not trying to reinvent the meaning of what the masses are describing them as. I am really open to any material other then lead because of the obvious reason as to not sell someone a lead encrusted object that you handle around food or drink. The only real interaction I have had "heavy metal" is that of some of my Sandvik EH milling head holders. Google gave me engine builder supply selling balancing pins, which I did not know was a thing until just now.

Machinability of heavy metal? Any one wanna weigh in.

Mass drop has them listed under EDC and the kids on Instagram describe it as such. Not trying to reinvent the meaning of what the masses are describing them as. I am really open to any material other then lead because of the obvious reason as to not sell someone a lead encrusted object that you handle around food or drink. The only real interaction I have had "heavy metal" is that of some of my Sandvik EH milling head holders. Google gave me engine builder supply selling balancing pins, which I did not know was a thing until just now.

Machinability of heavy metal? Any one wanna weigh in.

So you will need carbide to machine it but not all that bad.
Certainly way easier that full hard D2, a fair amount worse than mid 40 steels as it eats tool tips fast.
It grinds very,very nicely at high rates but you need the right wheel.
This is specialty stuff with a leaning curve and it may well be cheaper to go outside to get it done.
Also know by other names,
McMaster-Carr
Bob

They would be simple enough to make. I used to make various custom carbide I.D. tools. If you score the circumference of a carbide drill blank with one of those electrical discharge engravers you easily snap them at the score mark. They break off pretty straight then finish on a diamond wheel grinder, surface grinder or tool cutter grinder. Not sure what quantity you want, if no one stocks them I would call an end mill sharpening service
,they should have the equipment to make them.

Dowel Pins is available with carbidetek in California

I am looking for carbide dowel pins.
3mm or 1/8th Diameter or maybe 3/16th....
Between 4 or 7 or 3/16 or 1/4 Length.
Any one know where to source these.

We carbidetek do offer customized carbide dowel pins. Please send request to [email protected] for more information. We have centerless grinding and cutting capacity to assist you.

Art

We carbidetek do offer customized carbide dowel pins. Please send request to [email protected] for more information. We have centerless grinding and cutting capacity to assist you.

Art

FWIW - If you had bothered to read the thread you'd have found that he was looking for an inexpensive one-off dowel for making a fidget spinner. I highly doubt that your services would be used.

Lame attempt at marketing.

-Ron

Back