What's new
What's new

Carriage Lock Needed in DFW Texas Area

Texasbowhunter

Aluminum
I have a older 5900 Clausing Lathe and had discovered that the Carriage lock is missing which I figure is the biggest factor to me not getting quality parting/facing cuts...I have contacted Clausing and they do have them at a cost with shipping to Texas will cost me in the neighborhood of a $100...
Before I buy from them I was curious if there might be someone in the DFW area that would be interested in making it for me to put some change in there pocket...I have been hoping that I might be able to find one new/used on the internet but so far it hasn't panned out...
I would also like to watch so I can ask and learn since in the future I will be investing in a mill to fab items of concern for various projects...
So how many of you are from the DFW area and would be willing/able to help make a Carriage Lock for me...
Now with this said I hope not to pay retail for this item but would be willing to put some coin in ones purse for there tools and/or projects...
Also if this pans out and the dimensions I have stumbled upon works then we can post a link with these dimensions in them for anyone else that may be in need of one later down the line...
Thanks
Paul
carriage lock 1.jpg
carriage lock.jpg

Maybe you can show a picture of what the item looks like. Don't you think it might be an important starting point for such a conversation?

I'm not in the DFW area, and have no interest in making the item myself. I'm just thinking that it would seem like the minimum you could do if you expect anyone to volunteer for that task.

Good luck.

Jacques

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Nobody is going to make you a one off AND let you harass them in the shop for less than the $100 Clausing will charge you.

Not to be mean, but that's just the truth. Shop rate of $60 an hour, double because you're slowing things down by asking questions...

Another advantage to making your own is having it at a convenient position when locked. I’ve had to modify several carriage locks, make special shims etc. over the years.

If you still want to buy, call Matt at Lost Creek Machine. He often parts out lathes…

L7

I can post pictures
enclosed are a couple pics of the lock
carriage lock.jpg
carriage lock 1.jpg
and as far as harassing them I was hoping that someone maybe a hobbyist and consider building it at there house
there are allot of members out there that have mills set up at there house

I have contacted Matt no luck at this point
Also Red River Machinery
Thanks
Paul

Ah, that is a simpler part than I expected.

I still see at least $60 in labor there, if you already have all the tools and a material drop to make it out of.

You. You are a hobbyist. Chunk-O-steel, a hacksaw, file, drill press. It's not a complicated part. Pay yourself the pizza and beer!

If you don't have the drill press, the part can be held in a 4 jaw chuck and drilled and tapped from the tailstock. In the apprentice days much more complicated projects were made with a saw and file.

Ah, that is a simpler part than I expected.

I still see at least $60 in labor there, if you already have all the tools and a material drop to make it out of.

That's the ball park I was thinking...
I'm not sure about the steel needed
I have a piece of 1.5 x 1.5 cold rolled steel that may work...Tooling steel stock I do not have any of
all I need is a piece of 1 x 1 @ 1.5 long

I have aluminum 6061 in 1" plate which I can fab but I don't know about the longevity of life I would get...

Back