What's new
What's new

CNC Lathe / 6061 Alu for various small parts RFQ

drew.e

Plastic
Hello professionals,

I need to have some drifts and related parts made for sealed bearing extraction and insertion. Because these are being used with very precise bearings, the installation parts also need to be precise.

I have been trying with limited success to get these parts made. While I do have a few on hand, they are outrageously expensive to have made locally. Normally, anodized and laser etched with part numbers, parts similar to these retail for $7.95 USD plus $1.99 shipping. Since I would like these to just be raw cut unfinished, hopefully I can get close to that price for my potential customers. Here is a link to finished products from Wheels Manufacturing for your examination:

Search Results for “open bore adapter” – Bicycle Parts Direct

The versions I have seen which are made in the US are extremely precise and very good. Unfortunately, they (Enduro and Wheels MFG) do not make all the sizes that I need. I have also seen some knock-off drifts from overseas, but they are nowhere near as precise.

These are niche parts that I would like to offer for resale for those with similar interests to mine, so I don't have a quantity in mind. I am not familiar with the machining industry, so don't want to insult anyone, so I would rather have you tell me what quantity would make it worth your time. I am really looking for low volume because these are parts that few people in the world will have a use for -- but those who DO have a use really need a source.

Thank you for taking a look, and I appreciate any bids, or suggestions to improve my RFQ.

The link is to Google drive, where both a ZIP file and a folder with one PDF for each part because they are very similar in appearance, but differ in dimension. All tool dimensions are metric, because the cycling industry is metric, as are the bearings used. Unfortunately I can't add the ZIP file directly here because the limitations of the forum are too restrictive. They only allow 19 kb for each file, and I can't further reduce the size from 605kb, which is still a very small file.

Neo - Google Drive

Just going to let you know, for a couple of each, made to maybe +-.002", I would expect quotes to be in the hundreds of dollars minimum. It's going to take someone at least an hour or two to develop a process plan, work up a quote, order material, draw the thing, program it, set up the machine, and prove out a single part. To get down to bulk production prices, you need to have production quantities to spread those costs over. I would expect a quantity of at least 5000 to get under $10 each. And also know, every number you add after the decimal point multiplies the cost, if you want them precise to under a thou ( I don't know what a common generic metric equivalent to a thou would be, .03mm?) you are talking about a significant increase in the quality of machine running it, and time spent doing setup and in process monitoring. Also, these are guest-timate figures, prices may vary wildly depending on where you are, what the shop is set up to do, and how busy they may be.

You have to declare a desired quantity. No way do you get these for $5 or $6 if it's quantity 10. At 100 I might could get there, no anodize or laser. At 1,000, no problem.

So if you need 100, send me a PM or e-mail, I have lots of open machine time.:nopity:

Regards.

Mike

To get any kind of a price you will need to figure on at least ordering 175, as that would be the approximate yield on a full 12 foot bar of material.

Back