Custom Drill Bit Source
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Custom Drill Bit Source

We are looking for a source for a couple of custom drill bits.
    One is basically a standard #55 drill bit, but requires a 3/32 shank (approx 16 mm long) , and the overall length of the flutes needs to be approx 25 mm minimum. Standard HSS is OK. (we have been making these by using 3/32 stainless tubing loctited-to #55 drills).

The second is a standard 3/32 drill with a 1.32 mm dia x 5.5mm "pilot" ground on the end (the pilot is non-cutting, so not real critical). HSS is OK.
    Quantities would be 1000-2000 pieces per order for each.
    Thank you, Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a local toolmaker that I've been using for years. He is set up to make custom step drills, form tools and other specials.
    He can do HHS, Cobalt, Carbide, etc.
    I have no affiliation, but I like to recommend him since he's done a great job for me over the years.
    PM me and I'll give you his info.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you exhausted the possibility that someone may already make a very similar product already?

Like Titex, or Guering, or OSG?
    (I'm sure oodles more)

These company's doo already make some drill lines that are std shank sizes.

Even if they currently make them to 1/8 or 3/16 - at your volume - I'm sure they could crank the C/L grinder down a wee bit further.

???

I am going to pass your request on to one of my suppliers.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

093 shank drills are a standard thing, I would think that someone makes the first item
    The second item would be special, but ought to start out as a standard thing and then grind

I hope this is part of something you sell, as I would hate to go through 1000 of any size drill and would sure want to find another way of doing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks gentlemen for the replies and information.
    a)I haven't been able to find an off-the shelf 093 shank drill #55-ish drill. I have found some, but they are not long enough (the flute length must be .75" minimum). Carbide is too brittle for this. We have made a few hundred by cutting stainless hypo tube with a toolpost die-grinder and cutoff wheel on the lathe (lucky that there's a standard .093 tube with the correct ID), and using permanant loctite and accelerator to bond the tube. I'm checking out a couple of leads on some vet drills that might work.
    b)yes, the 3/32 with pilot shouldn't be a problem; again have ground a couple hundred of these on the lathe with a toolpost grinder.

I haven't had any luck with the drill bit manufactures quoting a custom drill bit (have contacted a few, most simply don't respond). A grinding shop should be able to make the 3/32 pilot-point.

This is something being sold, and not only is the labor high with "prototyping" tools, the finished product will be better with proper equipment. The material being drilled is cast acrylic, so it's not real demanding (the biggest issue is avoiding melting the acrylic), and the drills are only used for a limited number of holes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It turns out that one of the places quoting this went out and made up 3 samples to try.
    So e-mail me your shipping address and I'll get them to you.

Email address can be found under my "Ox" in the ULH corner.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

7. Likes digger doug liked this post