What's new
What's new

Gear material to mate with 8620

Mille1sj

Plastic
This is my first time posting here but I have referenced the site a few times.

I have classic boat I am rebuilding that has a Ford 302 reverse rotation engine. I just had a custom roller cam made for it from 8620 billet. The gear on the cam is carburized 8620.

Unfortunately, after I had the cam made, I was told that the distributor gear it mates with must be either bronze (which will wear fast, composite, or melonized steel). None of these options are available in a reverse rotation distributor gear, they only make he old cast iron gears that were used in the 70’s when this boat was made.

My background is in hypoid gear manufacturing but I do not have much metallurgy experience.

I have access to get the gears cut by reverse engineering my current cast iron gear, but I do not know what steel would be best to melonize to mate with an 8620 carburized gear.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I forgot to mention that I am not set on the particular company cuttongnthe gears for me. If this is a service someone here offers, I am open to other options. Thank you.

There are dozens of Bronzes. I would make mine from C954 Aluminum Bronze if I knew there was constant lubrication involved - which seems reasonable to suppose in a crank case

I second what John recommended. I've made many distributor drive gears from aluminum bronze running against carburized 8620 camshafts with no issues. Seem to remember a 302 runs the oil pump off the same gear via that little skinny hex drive shaft. Even so, the bronze should work fine.

The 302 distributor does run the oil pump off of a small hex drive. That was one of my concerns with the bronze, I read a few post on other sites where people said places an extra load on the gear.

My other thought was if I have one of my cast iron gears melonized, would it work with the 8620 gear.

Do you guys have any recommendations of someone to cut a gear for me? I would probably buy a could dozen of them.

This is my first time posting here but I have referenced the site a few times.

I have classic boat I am rebuilding that has a Ford 302 reverse rotation engine. I just had a custom roller cam made for it from 8620 billet. The gear on the cam is carburized 8620.

Unfortunately, after I had the cam made, I was told that the distributor gear it mates with must be either bronze (which will wear fast, composite, or melonized steel). None of these options are available in a reverse rotation distributor gear, they only make he old cast iron gears that were used in the 70’s when this boat was made.

My background is in hypoid gear manufacturing but I do not have much metallurgy experience.

I have access to get the gears cut by reverse engineering my current cast iron gear, but I do not know what steel would be best to melonize to mate with an 8620 carburized gear.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

How does the oil pump work? Do you need a reverse rotation pump as well? Or is it dry sump with an external belt drive pump? If it is dry sump any distributor gear will work as the distributor will not load the gear enough to cause trouble.

The oil pump is driven off of a small box bore on the end of the distributor. The distributor it’s self does not have a reverse rotation, so the oil pump is also standard rotation. The only difference if the direction of the gear teeth on the cam shaft and the distributor causing the cam to rotate the opposite direction of a normal automotive engine.

Back