What's new
What's new

how much to drill bolts

Not enough info, but unless they're very specialized bolts, why not buy them? Even McMaster has a wide selection of drilled head hex bolts.

You left out the two most important pieces of information:
1) When do you need them?
2) How many do you need.

Assuming they are not some exotic and assuming your not interupting some other job then $25 setup and $10 per bolt up to $200. Above 20 bolts the drill time starts to become a factor and that depend on your eguipment. If you have to drop what your doing then add $250.

Bud

It is customary (in the aircraft world) to have a drill jig for each head size. Saves from having 500 busted drills :rolleyes:

This is not a hand feed operation, either.

John

bay3fab wrote:
> ...did 100 of them w/ 2 bits

Then you already have what you need to quote. Multiply the time it took to drill those 100 by ten and again by your shop rate.

Does no good to tell you what I'd charge as times would be different.

You've got to know why the drills are failing to optimise drill selection. Pull the drills out before they fail and examine the edges. If they're rounded or discolored you need a harder drill. If they're chipped or welded then you're recutting chips and need better chip removal.

Bud

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
id like to do them just asking for some hints to do them the easy way

Well learning isn't the easy way.. but it's the best way.

I use my old Gorton mill as a drill press. and found that I don't break or dull bits as fast as with the cheep drill press I have. I just finished doing a 3000 pc job had to drill and countersink 2 .250 holes in each used a center drill to do both in one shot. charged $1 each (had to supply materials and cut). Lost $$ only made bout $20ph but gained a new customer. and now have my jigs made and a new process ready for the next order will make shop rate next time.....

ideehospud writes:
> "I use my old Gorton mill as a drill press. and found that I don't break or dull bits as fast as with the cheep drill press I have."

Wish I could splash that across the top of the home page for all those metalworker wanabes writing in and asking about the current crop of oh-so-cheap mechanical assemblies that may resemble a drill press in form if not in function.

starbolin

Back