What's new
What's new

Looking to get some gears thinned

teamsouth

Aluminum
Hi,
Looking for someone to thin out some transmission gears. All i need is the gear portion thinned. There are roughly 12 gears to be done ranging from 2 in. diameter to 4 inch. they are 1/2 wide and i need them thinned to 3/16. I did one set myself but i just dont have the inserts/skills whatever to cut them properly. They are extremely hard.

thanks
chris

Hey Chris, you say they are very hard, what's the hardness, "C" scale? how thick are they now? if you have a pic to send to me, email me off my profile! The problem comes in when getting into the teeth, kills your insert , I use ceratip's ceramcut inserts, great on straight cuts, good shock resistance, not bad on interrupted cuts.

get in touch with me if you want

SteelCutter

I was thinking that maybe the gears could be ground on a surface grinder?? I don't really know what the gears look like, but maybe grinding them on a surface grinder would be the way to go assuming that the gears are steel which I am sure they are. The only other concern would be if an electromagnetic chuck would be strong enough to hold the gears in place while being ground. I really don't know, but this may be something worth looking into if the material is extremely hard.

Hey todd, he only needs the "GEAR PORTION" thinned out as per his post, if you grind them as you say, now you have to put them on a rotary table or use a cup wheel and face grind them. "Hard Turining" will be faster, hence, more economical, from my experience anyways!

SteelCutter cus Grinding is too slow :D :D :D

It would definitely be time consuming, sorry I couldn't really picture what the gear looked like. Something you could maybe try would be to cut them on a lathe turning them with ceramic bits. There are 3 down sides to ceramic. Ceramic bits are very expensive, they are very brittle and for them to work properly you have to turn your spindle speed way way up, they like that. They cut about any material there is, but about .010 or .020 is about all you can stand per cut.

Right on todd, now we're talking, like I said, I use Ceratip's "Ceram Cut II" Inserts, they are made for hardened steels, shock resistant, work ok on interrupted cuts and as you mentioned, light DOC.

One nice thing about these inserts is that, unlike straight ceramics, they are somewhat forgiving of interrupted cuts and are only a fraction of the cost of straight ceramics!

Al // SteelCutter

here are some pics of the gears.

PICT0156.jpg

PICT0160.jpg

Back