What's new
What's new

Looking for help prototyping a new invention

Chris Reinhardt

Plastic
I may be shooting in the dark here but I’m looking to find a shop that could help me prototype a proof of concept for a new invention for the construction industry, specific to roofing; that I can take to the tool manufacturers. I’d be interested in offering a share of royalties for payment of this which could be negotiated. I’m just a lowly project manager of commercial development with 5 kids so I don’t have a lot of money to throw at this. I did start out in industrial engineering with DANA so I’m not entirely new to this, but I’ve been out of it for about 12 years now. As far as the protyping aspect of it, there shouldn’t be to many difficult process. The overall design is essentially a reconfiguration of existing tried and true mechanisms. The purpose of the tool is to allow the lowest paid man on site to do the highest paid mans job without the fear of errors outside of tolerance. In the roofing industry low cost production and efficiency is the name of the game and this offers both. So maybe there is a shop that would be interested in a tax write off? Maybe there’s a shop that specializes in this sort of thing? Maybe someone wants to take a chance on it. I’m not sure but any advice from you all would be amazing and appreciated. As you can understand to talk further about design specifics all parties involved would have to go into a confidentiality agreement. Thanks in advance for any advice on possible avenues or interest.

Chris, you may be a stand-up guy that would never, ever stiff anybody. I have no reason to think otherwise. But the reality is that some, if not most of us shop owners have come across this exact same plea for help, only to regret taking the bait in one way or another. I have completely sworn off local walk-in work for many years now because of dealings like this going bad. In other words, people generally suck in my experience.

Unless you can raise some money or find an investor, you are not going to get traction with a machine shop. You might look around for hobby or retired guys, but before even that can happen, you need to either have a design solidified or even more money to have that part done for you as well. Remember, the drawing and/or model is king. If work starts and you decide to change anything on the drawing and/or model, you will pay more than what was quoted you. The more individual changes you make, the more money you will owe.

If it simple to make then pay someone to make one.

Or 3d print one for a model.

If similar to something that exists then search for parents as it may already be protected or already have been tried and not used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sick and tired off people who talk about "tax write offs" with no idea what that really means. As people across the pond would say "PISS OFF".

Thanks for all the advice guys. Obviously everything would be contractual etc etc. In lieu of that being irrelevant, I have found a group willing to help with the development of this idea. If you guys run into this sort of question again there is a grant from the national science foundation to help facilitate these sort of endeavors. I kind of expected your responses to be as they are, I’d give the same response in my industry. Thanks for everyone’s help and clarification.

I’d rather take your whole family out to dinner.
That’s a write-off too, and it would be a whole lot cheaper.

Hi, I apologize to post this here but I need to know how to post my threads. It's confusing and no matter how much I look for posting option but I can't find it. Your help will be appreciated so much

Hi, I apologize to post this here but I need to know how to post my threads. It's confusing and no matter how much I look for posting option but I can't find it. Your help will be appreciated so much

Hi Saldash, welcome,

To make a new thread go to the Forum tab above and then click on whatever category you would like to post in. When that page is up there should be a tab in the upper left that says "post new thread"

Well Chris as a retired guy who has been doing favors for inventors and such....

I can offer you the chance to get in early on Hydrogen storage in an aluminum matrix..
Or if you prefer there is this carburetor mod for high gas mileage... That guy brought beer so it wasnt a complete loss.
Would you be more interested in fishing sinker molds for zinc to avoid lead poisoning of water ways?
Or my favorite turning flanges on paper thin stainless steel tubes for a new type of Sterling engine.

I can go on but some of the others are a little ridiculous...

Every one of those mentioned and several others felt the worth of their idea far exceeded the value of my time, tooling, material or even electricity I used...

And you asked guys that have to make a living.... that sir is brave knowing the temperament here...

How many kids do you have ?.....:D

To the OP- you may well have a good idea, roofing?- doesn’t sound in the same vein as most PITA inventors. One piece of advice (and you only barely hit on it): as soon as you start saying things like "easy to make" "not complicated" "won't take much time" etc. you've lost any interest from anyone capable of making it. That’s the biggest flag ever. Sounds like you're making progress though so good luck.

Back