Looking to Manufacture Small Parts - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    The engraving could be done on a little fixture that would present the tapered/slanted face normal. It would have to be "played" with a bit to get it to look nice enough however. You would see some variance (guessing not much with a small enough ball endmill) as the curvature changes, but if it was me I would project the characters onto the surface, than 3d them. Fixturing would not be ideal as you would need to rotate the part/fixture 4 times for each piece, but doable for a small prototype run.
    I got this neat machine that was made with alien technology in the 1930's for just such work...

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Finegrain View Post
    I see two tricky bits:
    2. The engraving within "Direction House" -- being on a slanted surface, the engraving would need to be done with a tilting rotary table or 5-axis machine, which will eliminate many "standard" machine shops.
    If the font could be simplified there should be no issue doing engraving like that on a angled surface. Agreed though if the font has to be a serif one tilting or otherwise fixturing normal to that face would help.

Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd suggest looking at laser engraving the markings, should be a lot more economical than mechanical engraving, and doable with a laser that has 4th axis, maybe even with 3axis, if there is no problem with laser reflecting from the angled surface, then the drawing could be stretched so the letters come out straight