What's new
What's new

Looking to move injection molding production from China to the US

Miko

Plastic
We are looking to move production of our new product from China to the US.
We would like to get in touch with injection molding manufacturers in the states, is this the right forum?
If not I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.
Thank you

You may produce your product in the U.S., but you will have a tough time extracting any investment you have made in China.

Well we are just before ordering the final mold, so this is the perfect timing for a change.

digger, don't most molding shops want to be involved in the design of the molds ? The places we have used want to make the molds themselves, or work together with a shop they already know and trust.

I don't know.

I doo know there are many independent mold shops around here as well.
Penn State univ. (Erie campus) offers degrees in mold design, and has a large plastic
centered program, along with a large lab.

Many moons ago I worked in injection molding. We almost exclusively ran customer owned molds, not sure if that is different now... Probably need to do some homework about "test shot required and approved" blah blah...

Why even consider them ?

Too easy for them to run it in their china facility, with off spec material.

I've been to their facility numerous times, made a few dozen tools with them, millions of parts, that isn't how they operate. But don't let that stop you from regaling me with your extensive experience with this company.

I've been to their facility numerous times, made a few dozen tools with them, millions of parts, that isn't how they operate. But don't let that stop you from regaling me with your extensive experience with this company.

Not at all.

but walking around the shop floor don't tell you much.
Looking in the office computer will.

local shop making consumer items, same set-up "chinese operation"....uhh huh.

Other shop, internal tool & die to make 5 molds, to be run by other department.
Farms out mold making to China, screwing their own internal shop out of work.
All 5 molds need extensive re-work to get them going. Internal tool shop
does the work.

The whole place is now out of business, both molding & the die department.

"Oh but the molds from China were sooo much cheaper....how could we not go with them ?"

We are looking to move production of our new product from China to the US.
We would like to get in touch with injection molding manufacturers in the states, is this the right forum?
If not I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.
Thank you

I would like to ask, why do you want to move out of China? I am in China, have I encountered any problems?

I would like to ask, why do you want to move out of China? I am in China, have I encountered any problems?

How would we know whether you encounter problems or not. If you are trying to solicit business from the USA why don't you hire someone who speaks English? We don't speak Chinglish.

I know this is an older post but if you are still looking our shop here does all sorts of tools and dies. We where doing Ti MIM dies a few years ago before the world fell apart. Feel free to message me and send prints etc.

Like Doug asked
"Your gonna have to pin down some things:
1. What kind of plastic ?
2. What size mold ?
3. What processing ?
4. What qty's ?"

Vincent
[email protected]

Back