What's new
What's new

Looking for Quotes: Specialty Arrow Blunts

Rowan

Plastic
Looking for quotes on some auto lathe work (or however you decide to do it). The part is a specialty arrow blunt in 6061-t6 aluminum (open to other options if you have suggestions but having evaluated cost vs weight this seems like the best option). Initially for a small run of a couple dozen, but could be in batches of 1000 if I can find interest later. Arrow Blunt Drawing Diameters.jpgArrow Blunt Drawing Lengths.jpg

A handful of additions need to be made to these drawings. Need edge breaks. The .164 dia cylinder needs to be threaded standard 8-32. The .200 dia needs three grooves (.015x .015) dividing it into 4 equal parts. Lastly there should be a filet between the .740 and the .333.

I have a print that includes everything but the grooves, but it's in .pdf and too big to upload.

Thanks in advance.

[edit ]Since the pictures aren't opening big enough to see the dimensions, the diameters are .740, .333, .200, .164. Corresponding lengths are .100, .300, .400, .325.

I'm not the right kind of shop to make these at volume so I'm not going to quote, but you might consider 7075 instead of 6061. It machines like a dream, and is stronger than 6061. It is more expensive per #, but may be well worth it for a "specialty" something. Makes a good selling point too!

Regards.

Mike

I have no idea if the volume will come or not, just that it's a possibility if the design proves to be sound. At the moment I need about 24 of them for testing purposes.

7075 is a consideration, but as I understand you trade tensile strength for ductility. I have several interested parties who asked about the viability of titanium, but that is way outside the cost of what anyone wants to pay. Not sure what the cost difference for 7075 is, would love to know if you could tell me.

Looks like a good job for my machines. 24 parts not so much but I could make them by hand if need be. Send me a PM and ill give you my email to send a print.

1000 parts I can probably be competitive. 24 parts, I may not even want to waste my time but I will quote it if you want.

I'm not the right kind of shop to make these at volume so I'm not going to quote, but you might consider 7075 instead of 6061. It machines like a dream, and is stronger than 6061. It is more expensive per #, but may be well worth it for a "specialty" something. Makes a good selling point too!

Regards.

Mike

I think 7075 would not be a good choice as it appears this part will be exposed to the elements, something with more corrosion resistance is needed.

Back