What's new
What's new

Looking for somebody with a CNC lathe

If you guys know of a cnc lathe in a job shop with a spindle bore that large closer than Canada, let me know.
My largest client is seeking one due to border issues, and I could use the brownie points....the purchasing agent
told me matter of factly, there isn't one in the US.

oh....and it needs 10 foot of z travel. He says he could keep it pretty busy;)
bluechipper

p.s Good luck on your search.

I've got CNC's with up to 7" through hole, but only 96" of Z. :o

I'm not much closer to anyone (or further for that matter?) than Rockfish is tho. :typing:

However - I don't quite follow how the "barfeeder" and "10' of Z travel" go together? Help me out here? :confused:

I doo have a fairly new 50KG robot that could be tied in for long runs if that's what'cher after. ??? But that Shirely doesn't seem to be consistant with 10' of Z tho. ??? :crazy:

--------------------

I'm having a slight bit of Deja'vue on this subject.
Ox

I doo have a fairly new 50KG robot that could be tied in for long runs if that's what'cher after. ??? But that Shirely doesn't seem to be consistant with 10' of Z tho. ??? :crazy:

Ox
OX,
The original post said nothing about 10' of z, that was me.
I said nothing about a barfeeder....that was Jay.
The two are not connected, sorry for any confusion.
If you are interested, I'll mention a machine (yours) in Ohio with 96" of z

Let me know...
bluechipper

P.s....I can see the confusion what the hell would you do with a barfeeder after the completion of a 10' part....just press the tailstock right off the back of the lathe???? drop the 2 ton shaft right into the chippan??? What about the steady???That would be fun to watch!!!:D

Guys...remember I'll just a dumb manual machinist (lol) I guess I need to clear this up. I need somebody to handle 20ft bars,machine them, part them. large quanity

Jay:

Not too many barfeeders built for 17-24' bars of any size that I know of, let alone over 3-1/2". :confused:

I have considered the option of building my own in the past, but I came to the conclusion that it was something that would only be worth it on a select few jobs, and if I was able to land one of those - I can't imagine having the time to build a huge barfeed before production was due to start... But who knows? It's always possible - IF the job justifies the time/space/ and money invested.

I currently chop it up to 4-8' lengths and feed out by hand. (I have a 6' long spindle/headstock.)

----

Chipper:

I have one machine that does list centers @ 112", however it has the wrong style turret on it to take advantage of the travel. A feller could swap out turrets [once again] IF the job justified it.

There is another fella on here with a name very similar to yours from Bozeman (That's in Montana) that has a cpl machines like this too, but I haven't seen him on here in quite some time. Maybe he's lurking? Maybe he's got open time? He'd be a slight bit closer to you than us up yonder in the Great Lakes. I s'pose all the big bore machines in NM/Tex are booked up for a yr backlog? I know of some oil rig parts of some sort that have been ran up this way in the past, so it's not really unheard of...

-------------------

With jacks and timbers they started back down
Then came that rumble way down in the ground :bawling:

Ox

Y'know Ox,
Right now, they are exporting materials to Canada, then importing finished product back way down here. They would like to get a vendor which would provide their own materials...I haven't ever gotten a peek at the print, but back when we were discussing this, he assured me that I would be able to pay for a quarter mil priced machine within six months with a standing p.o. of 14 parts/month....you do the math. If I had the contract, and enough room to expand, I'd be all over a local banker, but, like I said, I never even got t'see the prints. I'm jotting down your dimensions, and will mention the guy in Montana as well.
I'm not even sure on the material specs, but I know its a big power transfer shaft on a rig. Most of the materials we provide, have to be sent off and sharpie tested before they'll approve them. Most of their rigs go way up north...like Siberia. They don't want failures in freeeeeeezing weather. They do provide most of their hard to get materials. I'm making a delivery over there monday, and really forgot all about this opportunity until I saw this thread. The shopowner doesn't feel like expansion right now....I can't say that I blame him stress level 'round our shop is already pretty high. I'll bring it up with them over lunch.

I don't want to further hijack this thread, so if my conversations with them look promisng, I'll just shoot you a pm...or an e-mail if you've allowed that option in your profile.
Have a good weekend,
bluechipper

Back