What's new
What's new

Looking for vendor who sells cut lengths of S10 x 35 lbs/ft A36 I-Beam

reidhardy

Plastic
Everything is in the title. Looking for S10x35 I-beam and I'd prefer not buying 20 feet for a project that only requires 90 inches. Please comment or message me if you know anyone.

Talk to some suppliers, they should be willing to cut a longer piece down and sell you what you need. Cut down a 30' and sell you 10', restocking the drop as a 20'. Several places here would do that if they have the 30' or longer in stock. Those could come up to 50 or 60' long and different suppliers could have different lengths. A good supplier will also call their suppliers to see what they have that can work.
Common to be in 5' increments longer that 20' but I have also sometimes seen 28' pieces.
Other option is to find out what shops have recently bought some and go there and see if they have drops long enough for you.

Everything is in the title. Looking for S10x35 I-beam and I'd prefer not buying 20 feet for a project that only requires 90 inches. Please comment or message me if you know anyone.

Most metropolitan areas have places of that sort. Look around you.

Basically a broad-line commercial building supply that also stocks most common structural steel shapes off a relatively small "steelyard".

Cut-to-fit and deliver to jobsite is standard practice for builders needing beams, columns, lintels, sill plates, and such to fit a building or renovation blueprint.

THEY then order-in for their clientele FROM a metals distributor if what yah need is not in the regular run of common use goods they keep on-hand.

Sheets Wholesale, Inc. do that here in Sterling. Nominally 3-day lead to your dimensions, full-time cutter/welder(s) on-staff, so same-day while I wait if not busy.

There will be ones closer to you. Just have to ask around, locally, "where do you get your steel?", of folks putting up schools, shops, other commercial buildings, as well as residences.

Can't build much of anything these days without at least one lintel, beam, or column of steel and the steel plates over and under in it "somewhere".

2CW

What is the application ?

Airplane engine handling equipment. Engineers seem to forget that just because it is ASTM doesn't mean its readily available. Can't necessarily call it overkill though cause we have to proof load it up to 20,000 lbs.

Airplane engine handling equipment. Engineers seem to forget that just because it is ASTM doesn't mean its readily available. Can't necessarily call it overkill though cause we have to proof load it up to 20,000 lbs.

My reason for asking, there is many weights available in that general size.

If you can't find that particular size, go back to engineering with a list of available, and see if you can substitute.

Most metropolitan areas have places of that sort. Look around you.

Basically a broad-line commercial building supply that also stocks most common structural steel shapes off a relatively small "steelyard".

Cut-to-fit and deliver to jobsite is standard practice for builders needing beams, columns, lintels, sill plates, and such to fit a building or renovation blueprint.

This^^^
I'm slightly rural and I have a structural steel outfit a mile from me that does this. I was putting new floors in a farmhouse and needed 2 beams. They cut them to the inch and drilled (punched) standard holes for attachments and delivered it to my address in a day. They required a check on delivery, apparently they were accustomed to getting stiffed. There are a few others in the same county.
Search for Structural Steel.

Not sure how far you are from Florida, but you can get it in A572 from Alro. That is if you can get A572 approved.

I would suggest that you just look for a steel supplier that specializes in structural. I am retired now but even twenty years ago in my area suppliers cut structural to the customers required lengths.
It makes sense when you think about it. First they have optimization programs that blend many customers orders together and when they cut sixty foot lengths it is rare for them to have more than four foot waste. Often they are left with a foot or two.
Second is the savings in time by the customer as well as shipping.
Third is that it costs money to keep track of end cuts and they take up valuable yard space as they rust out in the weather.
The customer is paying only for the weight. The cost of cuts in absorbed by the supplier.

Improve your possibilities by considering a W section with equal or higher section modulus and moment of inertia as the S beam.

Back